Can we land him?

5,165 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by calumnus
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
oskidunker
Econ141 said:

Why not. If the price is right. He's not leaving because he wants to be on a top 25 team or because he wants to play on an ncaa tourney team
Go Bears!
Johnfox
Mahaney is good friends with Jalen Cone and Jaydn Ott. Maybe Madsen will take a unique approach to get him to Cal
awesomebuffalo
Need him and Stojakovic like Shocky needs valium
3Cats4CAL
I remember him visiting Cal 2 years ago. Will our new coach (and NIL) make a difference this time?
HoopDreams
I think St Mary's coach was a finalist for the Cal job

If we hired him it might have broken me. So glad we got Madsen instead

Can't imagine any players want to play for st Mary's coach for more than a year or two

3Cats4CAL said:

I remember him visiting Cal 2 years ago. Will our new coach (and NIL) make a difference this time?
calumnus
Johnfox said:

Mahaney is good friends with Jalen Cone and Jaydn Ott. Maybe Madsen will take a unique approach to get him to Cal

How? I thought he was friends (AAU teammates?) with the O'Dowd players, one of the reasons Fox took Bowser and Roberson?
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

Can't imagine any players want to play for st Mary's coach for more than a year or two

3Cats4CAL said:

No Herb Sendek at Santa Clara was one of Knowlton's finalists. Bennet has never been interested in the Cal job so far as I know. His long-time assistant Kyle Smith was always very interested in the Cal job, despite what some on this board claimed.
Shocky1
awesomebuffalo said:

Need him and Stojakovic like Shocky needs valium
buffalo & foxy, valium is NOT the solution, a yoga/meditation practice is 100 times more effective plus them curvy brunette yoga females go to modern yoga too!

https://instagr.am/p/CwDwuwRPTBx
aidan & his parents (berkeley grad) are not dumb azzs, it would've been a dumb decision to pick cal during the mark fox enabled by jim knowlton era of cal basketball...his other finalists included stanford & princeton

https://instagr.am/p/C52ICacxN0o
now with coach madsen's contagious enthusiasm in rebuilding the bears roster with high character true student athletes it makes a lotta sense to start at point guard in the acc (who wants to play conference games against pacific & portland in the wcc?) against duke & north carolina while earning a degree worth millions from the #1 ranked public university in the world

a potentially significant factor in this caldecott tunnel recruitment is that mahaney comes from an affluent lafayette family (graduated from campolindo high school) that understands the generational wealth building opportunity that comes with cal, stanford & ivy league degrees and therefore nil dollars might not be as important...this is also the case with andrej stojakovic (dad deja a 3 time nba all star) who is officially visiting cal this week, his parents are more interested in nba development coupled with a world class education worth millions over a lifetime than a nil payment for rent & car payments...the short family drives on gamedays to haas pavilion are a big pluses for the mahaney & stojakovic families too

https://instagr.am/p/CvswV5GSZHb
cal's monster class (luvs yoga)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
barsad
My initial answer to the thread's question was, "When hell freezes over," but reading all the opinions here have given me a sliver of hope.
He's probably going to want to see two other top-tier players join first, right? He won't jump to a team where he's got no help.
Oakbear
never more true

Money talks and BS walks LOL

deep pockets are the key to success in college sports more than ever before ..

Pittstop
HoopDreams said:

3Cats4CAL said:

It was widely stated on various boards that Mahaney loved Cal, and that he visited Call as well as hosted multiple in-home visits with Cal coaches. And has at least one parent who is a Cal grad. Probably the train wreck known as Fox was the deal breaker. Maybe Madsen changes that.
Johnfox
Michigan and San Diego State will be our competitors. Michigan has St Mary's former assistant at their program that Mahaney loved. Mahaney has buddies on SDSU and loves it over there. He also loves Cal and has buddies here. Adding on, he values education. He stated that he his number one goal is going to the NBA and he's going to choose a program with a good education and a coach that can develop him.
Oakbear
Probably the train wreck known as Fox was the deal breaker. Maybe Madsen changes that.

could be, from what I read about Fox, he was not a guy I would like to have player for .. or even know for that matter, MM seems to be more of a guy you could have a glass of sarsaparilla with (coffee/beer out?)
Big C
Pittstop said:

HoopDreams said:

3Cats4CAL said:

It was widely stated on various boards that Mahaney loved Cal, and that he visited Call as well as hosted multiple in-home visits with Cal coaches. And has at least one parent who is a Cal grad. Probably the train wreck known as Fox was the deal breaker. Maybe Madsen changes that.

Is my mind playing tricks on me (again)? I seem to recall that one of his parents was a Furd grad. Of course, he could have one of each...
calumnus
Johnfox said:

Michigan and San Diego State will be our competitors. Michigan has St Mary's former assistant at their program that Mahaney loved. Mahaney has buddies on SDSU and loves it over there. He also loves Cal and has buddies here. Adding on, he values education. He stated that he his number one goal is going to the NBA and he's going to choose a program with a good education and a coach that can develop him.

WSU was one of his finalists last time due to Kyle Smith. Hard to imagine that Stanford is not on his list of potential destinations this time.
sosheezy
Lots of competition
75bear
sosheezy said:

Lots of competition

This would make it that much sweeter if he decides to stay local and we land him.
PtownBear1
sosheezy said:

Lots of competition

That makes no sense. 150 schools? He's a good player that I'd love to come to Cal but not some generational talent.
parentswerebears
PtownBear1 said:

sosheezy said:

Lots of competition

That makes no sense. 150 schools? He's a good player that I'd love to come to Cal but not some generational talent.
Market forces. Not a ton of guards worth pulling in. Demand outweighs supply.
concernedparent
PtownBear1 said:

sosheezy said:

Lots of competition

Miss 100% of the shots you don't take. It takes an assistant like 2 minutes to put out a feeler
Oakbear
"Miss 100% of the shots you don't take. It takes an assistant like 2 minutes to put out a feeler"

yup, let's say there are 100 players that you have interest in .. allow ten minutes per call to see if any interest.. 1,000 minutes, divide by 60 and it is about 17 hours .. or two days .. and you could delegate some of the calls to your position coaches .. yes, just not all that arduous ..
stu
concernedparent said:

Miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

-- Don Coleman
CalLifer
stu said:

concernedparent said:

-- Don Coleman
Of course, the Don Coleman corollary to that axiom was missing nearly 100% of the shots he did take.
parentswerebears
The other corollary is take 100% of the both physically possible AND impossible shots you can take.
89Bear
stu said:

concernedparent said:

-- Don Coleman
"Take 100% of the team's shots!"
Big C
89Bear said:

stu said:

concernedparent said:

-- Don Coleman
"Take 100% of the team's shots!"

Oh, you beat me to it!

(Gotta say though, Don Coleman was gracious to my kids and me once upon a time, so I wish him every future success.)
OdontoBear66
stu said:

concernedparent said:

-- Don Coleman
Much like the answer to your question is always NO if you don't ask it.
HoopDreams
everytime someone talks about Coleman, I gotta post this...

AZ Bear
HoopDreams said:

everytime someone talks about Coleman, I gotta post this...

lol

I actually liked Don Coleman, but the humor is spot-on. If we can't laugh at ourselves....
PtownBear1
I've tried to block those years out of my memory, but did Coleman really take more bad shots than some of our beloved players from last season? Especially through the middle of the season, it seemed like everyone had the green light to continually jack up off-balance, deep, and/or highly contested shots.
concernedparent
PtownBear1 said:

I've tried to block those years out of my memory, but did Coleman really take more bad shots than some of our beloved players from last season? Especially through the middle of the season, it seemed like everyone had the green light to continually jack up off-balance, deep, and/or highly contested shots.
Jalen Cone had a ludicrous shot selection and he was pretty inefficient at 50% TS%, 45% eFG% on 12 FGA per game. But then Don Coleman had an absolutely heinous, basketball terrorism 44% TS%, 36% eFG% on 13 FGA per game.
calumnus
concernedparent said:

PtownBear1 said:

Jalen Cone had a ludicrous shot selection and he was pretty inefficient at 50% TS%, 45% eFG% on 12 FGA per game. But then Don Coleman had an absolutely heinous, basketball terrorism 44% TS%, 36% eFG% on 13 FGA per game.

It is why I compared Madsen and his first team to Wyking Jones and his last team which made some people's head explode. Both teams improved at the end when the better players started taking the majority of the shots. Vanover, Kelly, Suing, Bradley, Paris should have been the starting five and would have been fun to watch grow together and build on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.