Harvard's President Gay & Plagiarism

5,160 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by bear2034
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to a new report today there are even more allegations, bringing the total up to 50 / approximately one half of her published works. Obviously she's under scrutiny because of the Congressional testimony. I'm hoping to avoid that topic and focus on the plagiarism question.

Some of the earlier allegations involved improper citations - ie, using a larger passage and attributing it in a partial way. This more recent allegation claims she used 1/2 a page of material verbatim. Anyone can make a mistake once. But 50 times? Anyway, does anyone have any experience in this space? How are such matters commonly handled in academia for administrators/professors?
MinotStateBeav
No need anymore. She's currently sending her resume to CNN or MSNBC.
tequila4kapp
tequila4kapp
Yes and no. She returns to the faculty. I am still curious - 50 plagiarism allegations for a faculty member... are faculty commonly held to the same standard as students?
bear2034
White privilege.
bear2034
BREAKING: Claudine Gay resigns. In her resignation letter, she played the race card instead of owning up to her plagiarism.
TheFiatLux
Claudine Gay is the Harvard of DEI hires.
dajo9
Marc Tessier-Levigne is the Stanford of white privilege hires
American Vermin
bear2034

Alternate Babylon Bee headline: Tragic: Hamas Loses Two Leaders in One Day
Chapman_is_Gone

This cheater and fraud is being allowed to return to her estimated $900,000 per year faculty job. What a ****ing joke.
dajo9
Where's the outrage at Trump?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/273287-trump-appears-to-have-plagiarized-carson-op-ed/amp/
American Vermin
movielover
Lotta White Supremacy going on at Ha-vard. Are all the cheaters Liberal?

Harvard President
Stanford President
Pocahontas Warren - fake Native American
Elizabeth Hoover - Cal - fake Native American
Three profs- University of Kansas
UC Riverside prof - fake NA

"Jacqueline Keeler, a writer who investigates people who falsely claim Indigenous ancestry for personal gain, and who posted the details of Smith's agreement earlier this month, told Inside Higher Ed: "Academia is basically a pretendian factory."

"It is the ultimate form of colonization, where they actually become us instead of actually listening to us," she told the outlet."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/28/california-professor-resigns-native-american-heritage

https://apnews.com/article/berkeley-professor-false-native-identity-apology-dabc6d97dcb6f96aedc6c6c62b4975ee

https://www.thecollegefix.com/three-university-of-kansas-professors-face-allegations-of-fake-native-american-ancestry/
tequila4kapp
So this thread went in a different direction…

Anyways, looks like she's going back to being Professor and a Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean. She will make almost 900K. Nice gig if you can land it…I had no idea said positions paid so much. At least now we know why college is so expensive.
tequila4kapp
dajo9 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/273287-trump-appears-to-have-plagiarized-carson-op-ed/amp/
I'm not "outraged" by any of it. I'm curious. My 1st semester of my frosh year I got a D- on a paper for not using citations properly. It was very embarrassing/humiliating. I learned my lesson and it never happened again. I am a little shocked at the report of 50 instances of plagiarism…how does someone get away with that? How does someone reach a high level of academia and not know better? That led to my question - maybe faculty are held to a different standard????
bear2034
I believe the plagiarism incidents took place while she was a graduate student.
movielover
Dr. Harry Edwards allegedly had a thin, uninspiring doctoral thesis (?) and was denied tenure. I believe his book Sociology of Sport only had a one-page bibliography.

"Although he published widely and taught oversubscribed classes for years, Edwards was denied tenure in 1977. Media coverage and campus protests over the decision drew national and even international attention. "I am going to turn the lights out at the University of California at Berkeley. I am going to be the last to leave," he told The New York Times. The decision was reversed that summer, and Edwards remained at Berkeley for nearly another 25 years."

https://andscape.com/features/harry-edwards-mexico-city-olympics-sports-activism-john-carlos-tommie-smith-1968/
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Carson's piece begins: "MANY Americans do not appreciate the patriotism exhibited by our brothers and sisters in the Territories of American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands."

Trump's piece uses some of the exact same wording in part of his first paragraph: "Throughout the history of our nation, the patriotism exhibited by our brothers and sisters in the Territories of American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands has often gone unacknowledged."

Wow. Call the Marianas Variety and let them know ASAP.
movielover
Jewish Insider: Harvard controversy casts spotlight on Penny Pritzker, former Obama official atop university board

https://jewishinsider.com/2023/12/penny-pritzker-harvard-president-claudine-gay-barack-obama/
bear2034
MinotStateBeav
New conservative weapon.....PLAGERISM!!! (Dun dun dunnnnnnn) -Associated Press

edit:

movielover
@amuse is great.
TheFiatLux
dajo9 said:

I think there's treatment available for this.
movielover
Washington Free Beacon: Harvard President Claudine Gay Hit With Six New Charges Of Plagiarism

Half of Gay's published works now implicated in growing scandal

Harvard students opin that they're routinely suspended for such violations.

https://freebeacon.com/campus/harvard-president-claudine-gay-hit-with-six-new-charges-of-plagiarism/
movielover
???

dajo9
If she were the leader of a fascist movement it would all be ignored
American Vermin
concordtom
What is she accused of?

-Not supporting an unadulterated endless and indiscriminate bombing of Gaza?

-Explaining to people why Palestinians just *might* be pissed off about their treatment by Israel in both Gaza and the West Bank?????

Interesting to see how Trumpists are behind this. They just want to rage at whoever. I don't think they think or care about informing themselves of facts or the perspectives.

Brain dead Deplorables.

As for Jews who take that stance, well, yeah, that's to be expected, unfortunately.

People get blindsided easily.
oski003
concordtom said:

What is she accused of?

-Not supporting an unadulterated endless and indiscriminate bombing of Gaza?

-Explaining to people why Palestinians just *might* be pissed off about their treatment by Israel in both Gaza and the West Bank?????

Interesting to see how Trumpists are behind this. They just want to rage at whoever. I don't think they think or care about informing themselves of facts or the perspectives.

Brain dead Deplorables.

As for Jews who take that stance, well, yeah, that's to be expected, unfortunately.

People get blindsided easily.

She is being accused of plagiarism.
movielover
And condoning antisemitism on campus.
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

I think you've been trolled.

oski003
movielover said:

Yes, she was also accused of that earlier. Please note that she would not be accused of plagiarism if she hadn't indeed committed rampant plagiarism throughout her career. This isn't a sham accusation.
tequila4kapp
oski003 said:

movielover said:

Yes, she was also accused of that earlier. Please note that she would not be accused of plagiarism if she hadn't indeed committed rampant plagiarism throughout her career. This isn't a sham accusation.
The thread has gone in down a classic OT path...

I created the post with broader plagiarism in academia type considerations. Maybe I am naive or just out of touch but 50 instances of plagiarism??? How does the university not care enough about its academic reputation to allow this? The Stanford president resigned with 4 allegations of manipulated research data. Furd reportedly knew of the allegations from peer review stuff and didn't do anything...until the student newspaper reported on it. There's another prominent example I can't quite remember - something like a famous academic study on honesty included falsified data??? I realize that is only 3 examples and we have a gazillion universities in this nation but it just seems like things are out of whack in academia.
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

I created the post with broader plagiarism in academia type considerations. Maybe I am naive or just out of touch but 50 instances of plagiarism??? How does the university not care enough about its academic reputation to allow this? The Stanford president resigned with 4 allegations of manipulated research data. Furd reportedly knew of the allegations from peer review stuff and didn't do anything...until the student newspaper reported on it. There's another prominent example I can't quite remember - something like a famous academic study on honesty included falsified data??? I realize that is only 3 examples and we have a gazillion universities in this nation but it just seems like things are out of whack in academia.
I've talked to my brother (a former academic) about this. His view is that there is a lot of like "boilerplate" across academia and that it really depends on the nature of the plagiarism. There are a lot of customs around when and how to cite prior work. Here's an article from the Harvard Crimson about this.

I'm not defending Gay, I have no doubt that she crossed some sort of line if Harvard was willing to can her over this, but I expect that we will see this charge leveled more and more and weaponized politically.

To wit.

tequila4kapp
Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

I've talked to my brother (a former academic) about this. His view is that there is a lot of like "boilerplate" across academia and that it really depends on the nature of the plagiarism. There are a lot of customs around when and how to cite prior work. Here's an article from the Harvard Crimson about this.

I'm not defending Gay, I have no doubt that she crossed some sort of line if Harvard was willing to can her over this, but I expect that we will see this charge leveled more and more and weaponized politically.

To wit.

I shrugged my shoulders over the initial allegations. It sounded like the same type of thing I did as a 1st term frosh. I would say it is especially bad for her because she was way more advanced in her academic career but in the grand scheme of things...meh. But these later allegations included charges of large passages being lifted verbatim, as well as the shear volume of times that she cheated...yikes...and they are still keeping her on as a professor. WTH???
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

To wit.

I shrugged my shoulders over the initial allegations. It sounded like the same type of thing I did as a 1st term frosh. I would say it is especially bad for her because she was way more advanced in her academic career but in the grand scheme of things...meh. But these later allegations included charges of large passages being lifted verbatim, as well as the shear volume of times that she cheated...yikes...and they are still keeping her on as a professor. WTH???
Maybe it was a negotiated settlement? Or perhaps they don't have nearly a strong enough case to terminate a tenured prof? I have no idea but I wonder whether she is going to stay there for very long after all of this mess. Her testimony was a mess and she damaged the university, she should have been fired from her leadership role for that alone.
TheFiatLux
Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

To wit.

The replies to that ridiculously vapid tweet are gold.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.