PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ginn to Niners for 5th rounder

tommie317
04-16-2010, 01:24 PM
A steal for the Niners considering the talent level.

I can't believe this guy was ever compared to Desean in so many circles and was drafted so high. Hopefully he can turn it around on the Niners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5099673

drewcapu
04-16-2010, 01:27 PM
At least they have someone to return kicks now.

SacCityBear
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I can't believe this guy was ever compared to Desean in so many circles and was drafted so high.
Ginn was drafted in 2007, DeSean in 2008. People compared DeSean to Ginn.

sycasey
04-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Ginn was never as good a receiver as DeSean. He had the speed and the moves, but DeSean had those too and was also better at catching passes and running routes.

The Dolphins reached for Ginn, while the Eagles got a steal in DeSean. But I could've told you that DeSean was the better prospect.

oskihasahearton
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
A steal for the Niners considering the talent level.
I can't believe this guy was ever compared to Desean in so many circles and was drafted so high. Hopefully he can turn it around on the Niners.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5099673

WR Ginn was a great prospect coming out of tOSu and he was the fastest kid in the land in the sprints. I haven't followed his career in the NFL, he seems to have disappeared. He played for his Dad in HS in Ohio, and then was the featured returner on ST's and WR for Coach Tressel on an excellent Buckeyes team. There seems to be a history of injury/health issues, but if he is healthy, he can run and he can catch. I think he comes without "attitude".

Could be a great pick-up, congrats SF.

6956bear
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Likely puts an end to the Golden Tate to Niners that some are putting forth. This guy should run kicks and be a 4th WR.

GB54
04-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Basically it's a fifth round pick for a kick returner but a very good kick returner. The guy can't catch.

tommie317
04-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Ginn was drafted in 2007, DeSean in 2008. People compared DeSean to Ginn.

They were compared to each other in college and was a small reason why desean was drafted lower, because Ginn didn't pan out in the first year as hoped

tommie317
04-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Basically it's a fifth round pick for a kick returner but a very good kick returner. The guy can't catch.

But when he did catch, he was awesome! Should get crabtree to teach him a thing or two

oskihasahearton
04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Run, Ginn, run!

Ginn can run---returned 2 Ko's---100 and 102 yds in one game. Had games where he caught 11 passes and 8 passes. He seems to get "ironhands" @ critical times, but he's a heck of a returner with speed. He talks openly about his learning disability.

yoshibear
04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
With Ginn's speed (and questionable hands) Al Davis would have parted with a much higher pick than a 5th rounder to get him.

Tree Cutter
04-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you Parcells and Cam Cameron.

Unfortunately for all of Ginn's speed, his hands are questionable, he avoids all types of contact and had very little wiggle. He can't play in the slot, his speed while world class, is limited because he takes forever to build up a head of steam. Did I mention his speed, you can't teach speed and Ginn has it in spades. If Singleterry is able to get Ginn to concentrate on holding onto the ball this is more than a steal.

Unit2Sucks
04-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Agree with most. I hope he can make some big special teams plays but hope he doesn't make the receiver rotation - poor route running, can't break tackles, and doesn't catch the ball particularly well. I feel like we're talking about Renaldo Nehemiah.

philbert
04-16-2010, 07:38 PM
If he can just be a solid returner, he's worth the 5th round draft pick. If they'd used that pick for a returner in the draft, no one would have questioned it at all. Their kick returners were absolutely horrible last year.

GranadaHillsBear
04-16-2010, 10:17 PM
You can be Usain bolt, but if you can't catch worth crap, then you're fairly useless on the field. His kickoff returns should be interesting watch though. He was a massive reach in the first round in the first place. Classic case of the draft "experts" being enamored with his college and numbers rather than actually watching tape.

Agureghian
04-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Whats with the low returns for decent/good recievers?
brandon marshall 2 2nd round picks
santonio holmes a 6th round pick

whats the point of even drafting a reciever high if you can trade for one for a couple of mid to late round picks?

Unit2Sucks
04-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Whats with the low returns for decent/good recievers?
brandon marshall 2 2nd round picks
santonio holmes a 6th round pick

whats the point of even drafting a reciever high if you can trade for one for a couple of mid to late round picks?

Those guys were both head cases and traded for different reasons - Marshall wanted out, Holmes had outlived his welcome due to off the field trouble. The difference between those guys and Ginn is that Ginn isn't a bad guy, just a bad receiver.

For what it's worth, people generally think that Denver got the better end of that deal - they get 2 2nd round picks which often result in great players (e.g. Marshall was a 2nd rounder, so was Desean), and they didn't get stuck making Marshall the highest paid receiver in history - which Miami did.