PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Neuheisel says Carroll left USC because he was scared of Oregon

maxer
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
"In my heart of hearts, I think he got tired of trying to defend these different kind of offenses," Neuheisel told Patrick. "Oregon had their way with Pete's defense. ... I think he got tired of having the quarterback be a factor in the running game."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/9380/did-carroll-leave-usc-because-he-was-scared-of-oregon

drunkoski
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
if he believes this then he is an idiot for running a pro style offense..

petalumabear
04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I read somewhere - LA Times? - that fUCLA was incorporating the Pistol into its offense.... maybe a little justification on Ricky's part?

GB54
04-20-2010, 01:49 PM
One thing he wasn't scared of: Neuheisal.

drunkoski
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
oregon state and the furd seem to have done just fine against usc without a running qb.

ColoradoBear1
04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
That has to be one of the dumbest comments ever to come out of Slick Rick's mouth - it's more humorous than self serving since if Neuweisel claimed that Carroll left because of the severity of the upcoming NCAA sactions, it could at least give recruits more pause over choosing U$C. This is more of a pot shot directed at PC.

When he finishes above 8th in the PX, the battle for LA can begin.

OzoneTheCat
04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Gosh, poor Pete. Oh whatever will he do against the Wildcat formation????? He is so screwed.

okaydo
04-20-2010, 02:33 PM
"In my heart of hearts, I think he got tired of trying to defend these different kind of offenses," Neuheisel told Patrick. "Oregon had their way with Pete's defense. ... I think he got tired of having the quarterback be a factor in the running game."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/9380/did-carroll-leave-usc-because-he-was-scared-of-oregon

Slightly off-topic? You mean "mostly on-topic."

Optimistic Bear
04-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Dan Patrick was funny, he was like so you are saying that Masoli is the reason Carroll left for the NFL, then Rick said like no, he just struggled against those defenses. I think Dan Patrick is the best in the business at the follow up questions.

There could be a lot of reasons he left, but USC struggled a lot when teams just ran it down their throats, like OSU 2 years ago, and Stanford last year, so I think it doesn't make complete sense.

RoseBowlBears
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I read somewhere - LA Times? - that fUCLA was incorporating the Pistol into its offense.... maybe a little justification on Ricky's part?

This is true. In fact, it sounds like it will be their base set.

Trojan Warrior
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Dan Patrick was funny, he was like so you are saying that Masoli is the reason Carroll left for the NFL, then Rick said like no, he just struggled against those defenses. I think Dan Patrick is the best in the business at the follow up questions.

There could be a lot of reasons he left, but USC struggled a lot when teams just ran it down their throats, like OSU 2 years ago, and Stanford last year, so I think it doesn't make complete sense.

All Patrick had to say was, "well, SC stopped Masoli and Oregon's offense pretty well in 2008."

pRick is still ****ed off about his timeout call last year...nothing more.

SadbutTrue999
04-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Highly doubt it. USC was caught with an odd roster with a lot of inexperience last year, and that game was a real abberation (and I'm sure Pete knew it). Oregon was clearly the better team but elite defenses havent' had problems stopping/slowing Oregon's spread over the years. The read-option is nothing fantastically groundbreaking.

SadbutTrue999
04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
All Patrick had to say was, "well, SC stopped Masoli and Oregon's offense pretty well in 2008."

Though, now that I think of it... did Pete already know he was leaving when he made that timeout call vs. UCLA last year? Its the kind of thing you're probably more likely to do if you know its doubtful you'll ever face that coach again...

cal97
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Though, now that I think of it... did Pete already know he was leaving when he made that timeout call vs. UCLA last year? Its the kind of thing you're probably more likely to do if you know its doubtful you'll ever face that coach again...

I highly doubt that had anything to do with what happened. Skippy was being a jackass and Pete decided to stick it to him. I think it was really that simple. If the defense wants to keep playing rather than conceding, then the offense has every right to try to score. Pete was right and Rick was wrong. If you want to keep playing, don't get mad if the other team decides to keep playing too. IMO, PC staying or going likely had no bearing on the decision to throw deep.

buster99
04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
This is true. In fact, it sounds like it will be their base set.

Cal will get experience against Nevada pistol before the UCLA game.

BTW everyone likes to rave about the Pistol, but ND shut out Nevada last year and SMU held it to 14 points in a bowl game blowout. That was from the 85th and 86th ranked defenses last year.

SadbutTrue999
04-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I highly doubt that had anything to do with what happened. Skippy was being a jackass and Pete decided to stick it to him. I think it was really that simple. If the defense wants to keep playing rather than conceding, then the offense has every right to try to score. Pete was right and Rick was wrong. If you want to keep playing, don't get mad if the other team decides to keep playing too. IMO, PC staying or going likely had no bearing on the decision to throw deep.

I didn't necessarily say which coach I agreed with, I just said that you're more likely to make such a decision if you know that the other coach won't get a chance to take out any animosity he may have over it (whether that animosity is justified or not).

KoreAmBear
04-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Good to hear this coming from Ricky. It makes my world feel safe, comfortable and reliable. I can't wait to hear Lane speak sometime soon. His silence is making me feel uneasy. Heck, Mike Stoops turning into a class act made me have the chills last year.

NoExtraPoint
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Seeing the Weasel humiliated like that, and subsequently acting like the big baby that he is, was one of the great moments in CFB last year. No matter what people feel about Carroll, I have to thank him for that.

NoExtraPoint
04-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I didn't necessarily say which coach I agreed with, I just said that you're more likely to make such a decision if you know that the other coach won't get a chance to take out any animosity he may have over it (whether that animosity is justified or not).

I would agree with you, except I saw it more as an in-the-moment decision to stick it to an all-talk-no-beef team and coach.

Trojan Warrior
04-20-2010, 03:52 PM
I would agree with you, except I saw it more as an in-the-moment decision to stick it to an all-talk-no-beef team and coach.

SC should have tried an onside kick too...

I would have.

socalBear23
04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Seeing the Weasel humiliated like that, and subsequently acting like the big baby that he is, was one of the great moments in CFB last year. No matter what people feel about Carroll, I have to thank him for that.

I would agree there. It was a win win for Cal. $C looked arrogant and the ruins looked like a bunch of Pussies.

sycasey
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I would agree there. It was a win win for Cal. $C looked arrogant and the ruins looked like a bunch of Pussies.

Can't we just agree that Carroll and Neuheisel both looked like jackasses and be done with it?

Smiley
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Can't we just agree that Carroll and Neuheisel both looked like jackasses and be done with it?

Of course we can. Although I don't really understand your use of the past tense in your post. :chainsaw

(Of course I understood you meant in their game against each other not the general past tense, but I think we can all agree that both look like jackasses at almost any point in time, no?)

Lendale's Belt2
04-20-2010, 07:06 PM
oregon state and the furd seem to have done just fine against usc without a running qb.

Pat Cowan did a lot damage to sc with his legs in the '06 UCLA victory. Just sayin'

Lendale's Belt2
04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
SC should have tried an onside kick too...

I would have.

I always chuckle at the sight of Jurrell Casey being "held back" by an 70 year old man when Reggie Carter was running up on him when Carter made to the sc sideline lol Toby Gerhart had some nice comments about the "toughness" of the trojans...

"...Thats by far my favorite victory, Gerhart says of the USC game. We were up big at the end and hitting em in the mouth we ran 15 of the last 18 plays from the exact same formation, where wed motion the tight end one way or the other and Id run to that side. At one point one of their linebackers yelled, If you guys run Power one more time Im walking off the field. It was classic.

sycasey
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Of course we can. Although I don't really understand your use of the past tense in your post. :chainsaw

(Of course I understood you meant in their game against each other not the general past tense, but I think we can all agree that both look like jackasses at almost any point in time, no?)

Hah, good point!

okaydo
04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry for posting this, but i just had to, you know? And I didn't want to start a new thread, and it was USC related.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9287/83980612.jpg

Trojan Warrior
04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I always chuckle at the sight of Jurrell Casey being "held back" by an 70 year old man when Reggie Carter was running up on him when Carter made to the sc sideline lol Toby Gerhart had some nice comments about the "toughness" of the trojans...

"...Thats by far my favorite victory, Gerhart says of the USC game. We were up big at the end and hitting em in the mouth we ran 15 of the last 18 plays from the exact same formation, where wed motion the tight end one way or the other and Id run to that side. At one point one of their linebackers yelled, If you guys run Power one more time Im walking off the field. It was classic.

Looks like Reggie Carter had a pretty good view right around the 40 second mark. I also like the part where Reggie gets flagged on the PAT, and then knocks over the ref after he, the team, and pRicky got embarrassed.

"That's not a happy guy.":rollinglaugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVpyI6eWvwQ

Unit2Sucks
04-21-2010, 07:08 AM

"...“That’s by far my favorite victory,” Gerhart says of the USC game. “We were up big at the end and hitting ‘em in the mouth – we ran 15 of the last 18 plays from the exact same formation, where we’d motion the tight end one way or the other and I’d run to that side. At one point one of their linebackers yelled, ‘If you guys run ‘Power’ one more time I’m walking off the field.’ It was classic.”

That is some sad sh*t when a UCLA fan has to rely on talking trash about Stanford's win against SC, on a Cal message board no less.

GranadaHillsBear
04-21-2010, 11:05 AM

I gotta go with Pete on this one here. Carroll was trying to be classy to a hated rival and the opposing coach, pRick, rejected the "class" move. The crowd booed and the players were upset. Pete stuck it to him to the delight of the fans and his own players.

sycasey
04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I gotta go with Pete on this one here. Carroll was trying to be classy to a hated rival and the opposing coach, pRick, rejected the "class" move. The crowd booed and the players were upset. Pete stuck it to him to the delight of the fans and his own players.

Seriously, gimme a goddamn break about Carroll doing the right thing. If he'd just called the pass play and that was it, then maybe. But he and his players danced around like they had just won the Super Bowl . . . that is not classy at all.

Lendale's Belt2
04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
That is some sad sh*t when a UCLA fan has to rely on talking trash about Stanford's win against SC, on a Cal message board no less.

Great take!

calumnus
04-21-2010, 06:01 PM

They both acted like jerks. Imagine Tedford is winding down the clock with a big lead against Stanford and Harbaugh used his time outs acting like he had a chance. Tedford would not get upset. I can guarantee you Tedford does not throw for the endzone. He would keep with his gameplan, maybe running for a first down at worst to continue to run clock, but punting if it came to it. He had the game won already.