PDA

View Full Version : Sportsguy: "CJ Spiller the only elite RB in the draft"

maxer
04-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Not a shock coming from such a huge Boston homer, who admittedly doesn't really follow college sports, but still annoying. No idea why he decided to do a mock draft analyzing players he knows nothing about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100420

drunkoski
04-21-2010, 07:16 AM
as you point out he doesn't even like college football. i'd bet you any amount of money you want that he has never watched a clemson or cal game. ridiculous.

okaydo
04-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Ah, it'll be all the more sweeter when Jahvid shines this fall.

RaphaelAglietti
04-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Quick name the last gamebreaking Patriots running back ...

uhhh

uhhhh

yeah that's what I thought it's kind of hard to recognize a gamebreaking running back if you've never seen one before ...

sosheezy
04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Before you rip, further down, he actually hopes the Patriots can get Best:

"If the Pats grabbed Bryant here, then landed an explosive running back with one of their three Round 2 picks (Jahvid Best), I'd be doing backflips."

CalBearRJ
04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Wow....we'll hate on anybody.

The Sportsguy isn't a college homer for anybody. He likes Jahvid. He also holds an opinion that many share: CJ Spiller is the best RB in this draft.

None of the above counts as hate for or disrespect to Cal.

drunkoski
04-21-2010, 08:37 AM
he isn't a college homer because he, by his own admission, does not watch or like the game. this would be like me making a english premiere league mock draft.

cal97
04-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Not a shock coming from such a huge Boston homer, who admittedly doesn't really follow college sports, but still annoying. No idea why he decided to do a mock draft analyzing players he knows nothing about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100420

What's more amazing is your ability to completely miss his point. He's messing around. He doesn't take the position that he knows anything about this. You may or may not find his column funny but he never intended to come off as an expert. He introduced his column like this:

"What's more in my wheelhouse than a column filled with a ton of hyperbole, opinions that can't be proved and, of course, a lot of mocking? I allowed nine NFL drafts to sneak by me at ESPN.com like a hanging slider; this will not be the 10th. Let's get it on."

drunkoski
04-21-2010, 08:55 AM
i'd argue the rest of the column definetely tries to make himself look like an expert. you can't have it both ways.

cal97
04-21-2010, 08:57 AM
i'd argue the rest of the column definetely tries to make himself look like an expert. you can't have it both ways.

I have no idea what column you read but it couldn't have been the one linked above. You could not be more wrong.

CalBearinLA
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow....we'll hate on anybody.

The Sportsguy isn't a college homer for anybody. He likes Jahvid. He also holds an opinion that many share: CJ Spiller is the best RB in this draft.

None of the above counts as hate for or disrespect to Cal.

I agree with this....Jahvid is an exceptional talent, but Spiller has shown the explosiveness and durability needed to be considered an "elite" back. Granted, the injuries sustained by jahvid were freak accidents, they happened and have definitely dropped his stock a bit. Spiller, iirc, has remained healthy throughout his college career.

CalBearRJ
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Because these are the words of an expert:

My only concern: It worries me whenever a draft pick (in this case, Spiller) looks so enticing partly because it's a weak year at his position. It's the distant cousin of Press Box Hot -- how there can be one female reporter in a press box full of dudes, and unless she has a mustache or looks like Babe Ruth, they're always going to salivate over her. This doesn't necessarily mean she's attractive, right? As recently as last month, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay did their Mock Draft 3.0 and pegged Spiller at 19th and 14th, respectively. Now some people have him going as high as sixth -- which, extending the Press Box Hot dynamic, means we have talked ourselves into thinking he was "hot" instead of "cute." He might be hot, he might be cute. I don't know. I just know that I don't totally trust this pick.

And then there's this:

Best pass-rusher available, nice fit for their 3-4 scheme. Yup, it's super easy to sound as if you know what you're talking about in an NFL mock draft.

drunkoski
04-21-2010, 09:19 AM
and simmons knows this is a weak year at his position how exactly?

wifeisafurd
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Javid still has a durability knock. I can see how Spillar will be drafted first. Best will be a huge second round steal if he stays healthy.

Bearbits
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm reading his Big Book of Basketball and it is great. He writes like a sports fan not a sportswriter. If you want to learn about the history of the NBA in a unique and often funny way, this is a great read.

BearyWhite
04-21-2010, 09:29 AM
i'd argue the rest of the column definetely tries to make himself look like an expert. you can't have it both ways.He tries to make himself look like an expert the way any of us does when we're in a bar with friends. Are you familiar with his columns?

BearyWhite
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm reading his Big Book of Basketball and it is great. He writes like a sports fan not a sportswriter. If you want to learn about the history of the NBA in a unique and often funny way, this is a great read.I haven't read it but some of the guys I play in a regular game with have, and they heartily recommended it.

elpbear
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
I agree with this....Jahvid is an exceptional talent, but Spiller has shown the explosiveness and durability needed to be considered an "elite" back. Granted, the injuries sustained by jahvid were freak accidents, they happened and have definitely dropped his stock a bit. Spiller, iirc, has remained healthy throughout his college career.Aside from a gaudy average his freshman year, (7.3YPC), his per-carry stats have been pedestrian for a back of his supposed explosiveness (5.3, 5.4, 5.6). And only in his senior year did he have a somewhat large number of carries (216) - in years 1-3 he averaged 130 carries for 778 yards. Career stats: 606 carries for 3547 yards (5.8YPC). Javhid's career stats: 364 carries for 2668 yards (7.3YPC). If you compare Best's best season with Spiller's, it's not even close: 194 carries for 1580 yards with an 8.1 YPC vs 216 carries for 1212 yards with a 5.6 YPC.

Spiller built a lot of his notoriety based on kickoff returns. He also has quite a few receptions. He's a better kick returner than Best. But there is no way he is as explosive a *running back* as Best, that's just hype.

Obviously, Spiller was able to stay healthy and Best was not, so that's a legit consideration. But Best, if he can stay healthy, is a better running back prospect than Spiller.

drunkoski
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
He tries to make himself look like an expert the way any of us does when we're in a bar with friends. Are you familiar with his columns?

i've read his columns since he came to espn.com. and he unquestionably sees himself as an expert on the nfl and the nba.

BearyWhite
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM

uhhh
The Pats haven't needed one for the past decade. They just need a couple of reliable yard-chewing backs (Corey Dillon, Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk) to keep the defense honest.

sycasey
04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
First off, Simmons primarily writes for comedy. He wants to make jokes before he wants to deliver serious analysis. Sometimes he does get serious, but it's not his primary concern.

Also, even a more serious NFL/college football analyst could call Spiller "the only elite RB in the draft" and I can't be sure he's wrong. Like it or not, Best is pretty small/light for an every-down guy and has durability issues.

sycasey
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Curtis Martin

Though if you just want a single-season guy, I think Corey Dillon in 2004 might qualify: 1635 yds, 12 TDs, 4.7 ypc.

CrimsonBear
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Simmons is hilarious. He actually professes to be a Boston homer. How many columnists state that? He definitely does not take himself too seriously and is oftentimes self-deprecating. It might not be sincere, but he calls himself an idiot many times. I've read his basketball book and it's a good read. Nothing amazing, but a good read while on vacation.

He does think of himself as a NBA and NFL expert, but he states that he knows little about college sports. Probably b/c he went to Holy Cross. What's the big deal if he thinks Spiller is the only elite RB?! I'm a homer so I love Jahvid, but I would be far from surprised if Spiller is the first RB taken and Best falls to the 2nd round. I am surprised Jahvid accepted the invitation to NYC. I really hope he is not the last one taken from the 15. It was painful watching AR wait.

GB54
04-21-2010, 09:56 AM
What's weird is that most people think Matthews will be taken before either of them.

I haven't seen Spiller much but in the few games I have, he looked to run between the tackles better than Jahvid. I don't think you spend a high -meaning 1-15-draft pick in the NFL on a running back unless he is more of a Peterson type (or Marshawn when he was right)-a guy who can bring it inside or outside. Let's face it: for all his talent Reggie Bush should never have been picked so high. I think Best will be a great deal for someone in the second round and be a very valuable weapon for some lucky team.

maxer
04-21-2010, 09:57 AM
What's more amazing is your ability to completely miss his point. He's messing around. He doesn't take the position that he knows anything about this. You may or may not find his column funny but he never intended to come off as an expert. He introduced his column like this:

"What's more in my wheelhouse than a column filled with a ton of hyperbole, opinions that can't be proved and, of course, a lot of mocking? I allowed nine NFL drafts to sneak by me at ESPN.com like a hanging slider; this will not be the 10th. Let's get it on."

All I said was that he stated that CJ Spiller was the only elite running back in the draft. That's in the article.

I am actually a Simmons fan, but he has no clue about college sports, by his own admission. I think the opinion of one of the most widely read sports columnists out there, with a permalink on the front page of ESPN, is worth sharing here.

elpbear
04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't think you spend a high -meaning 1-15-draft pick in the NFL on a running back unless he is more of a Peterson type (or Marshawn when he was right)-a guy who can bring it inside or outside. Let's face it: for all his talent Reggie Bush should never have been picked so high. I think Best will be a great deal for someone in the second round and be a very valuable weapon for some lucky team.I don't think many people think Spiller or certainly Best will go 1-15.

Also, your statements sound a lot like the dings on DeSean Jackson when he was going into the draft. Best is a home run hitter. As long as he can stay healthy, he's going to make a lot of teams wish they hadn't passed up on him wherever he goes.

GB54
04-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't think many people think Spiller or certainly Best will go 1-15.

Also, your statements sound a lot like the dings on DeSean Jackson when he was going into the draft. Best is a home run hitter. As long as he can stay healthy, he's going to make a lot of teams wish they hadn't passed up on him wherever he goes.

Well Simmons does which is the point of this thread.

I am not dinging Best. I think he will be very valuable for someone.

Unit2Sucks
04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
First off, Simmons primarily writes for comedy. He wants to make jokes before he wants to deliver serious analysis. Sometimes he does get serious, but it's not his primary concern.

Also, even a more serious NFL/college football analyst could call Spiller "the only elite RB in the draft" and I can't be sure he's wrong. Like it or not, Best is pretty small/light for an every-down guy and has durability issues.

Not disagreeing with anything else you've said, but Spiller and Best measured damn near identically at the combine. 5'10"/199 for Best, 5'11"/196 for Spiller. Not saying that he has ideal size for a RB (I think he's 10-15 lbs away from ideal) but that goes for Spiller as well.

6bear6
04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
The mention of Corey Dillon above dovetails nicely into a putdown of Colin Cowherd. Cowherd was raving about Dillon a year or so ago and how Dillon will clearly be in the NFL Football Hall of Fame. Corey who???? Better yet, Colin who???

jyamada
04-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't think many people think Spiller or certainly Best will go 1-15.

Totally agree. If Best gets lucky and goes to the right team with some blocking, he will do some spectacular stuff, like in 2008. :gobears: