PDA

View Full Version : USC Safety Taylor Mays to the 49ers

SonomaBear
04-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Looks like Singletary's draft with all smash mouth physical guys.

oskihasahearton
04-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Looks like Singletary's draft with all smash mouth physical guys.

I hope his timing improves. :hammer:

SonomaBear
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
I wonder if the Niners would have taken Clausen had he been available?

Cal_Fan2
04-23-2010, 03:32 PM

I thought the same thing...I was under the impression that if JC was there in the 2nd round, Niners were gonna take him....but if that were the case, why not take McCoy as well.... I"m not sold on Mays but if he's willing to listen and learn, he could be a good one..

highwireact
04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I think it's an interesting pick - I'm not a big fan of Mays, but think the niners might be the right place for him to unlearn all the crap he picked up at SC and give him a chance to play to the level he should.

oskihasahearton
04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I think Coach Singletary was on a mission to get the O linemen, the safety, and the corners.

LethalFang
04-23-2010, 03:37 PM

One will never know, although if the Niners wanted him badly enough they could've traded up to get him. It's pretty obvious New England and NY Giants wouldn't want Clausen, but Carolina might.

CalGB94
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Now he gets to play against Pete two times a year.

SonomaBear
04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
A fascinating thought indeed. Can you imagine how geeked up he will be for that game?

I can see him blitzing right up the middle and absolutely crushing Hasselback.

sycasey
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Sadly, I think the organization is still under the delusion that Alex Smith will develop into a good NFL QB.

Unit2Sucks
04-23-2010, 04:02 PM
I like him as a strong safety. I've been critical of him in the past (dude can't cover) but have also gone on record saying that I hoped the niners would draft him. I think together with a true playmaker at free safety (Dashon), Mays can focus on being the up safety and tracking down RBs and TEs. Get him off the field on 3rd and long and and other nickel packages.

ninetyfourbear
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
unlearn all the crap he picked up at SC

After TM goes head hunting the first time, I wonder who will make him suffer more, Singletary or the opposing team?

CrimsonBear
04-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Sadly, I think the organization is still under the delusion that Alex Smith will develop into a good NFL QB.

I am a die hard 9ers fan. I will always hate Nolan for taking Smith over AR.

That being said, Smith can develop to be a serviceable QB in the NFL. Along the lines of Trent Dilfer or Hostetler. Basically, don't f*ck up the game and turn the ball over or take unnecessary sacks. Let the D and the running game take care of business (a la NY Jets). I think Smith can be as good as Sanchez for the Jets. I might be delusional, but Smith is finally healthy, has an O-coordinator for more than one year, a decnt Oline now after this draft(maybe), and the weapons around him with Gore, Davis and Crabtree.

9ers have a definite shot at the NFC West. Probably not going to the Super Bowl anytime soon, but should make progress. I like Mays over Clausen/McCoy. I still think Mays is an idiot for not coming out last year, but maybe he plays with a chip on his shoulder a la DeSean.

Go 9ers. GO BEARS!

Unit2Sucks
04-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I am a die hard 9ers fan. I will always hate Nolan for taking Smith over AR.

That being said, Smith can develop to be a serviceable QB in the NFL. Along the lines of Trent Dilfer or Hostetler. Basically, don't f*ck up the game and turn the ball over or take unnecessary sacks. Let the D and the running game take care of business (a la NY Jets). I think Smith can be as good as Sanchez for the Jets. I might be delusional, but Smith is finally healthy, has an O-coordinator for more than one year, a decnt Oline now after this draft(maybe), and the weapons around him with Gore, Davis and Crabtree.

9ers have a definite shot at the NFC West. Probably not going to the Super Bowl anytime soon, but should make progress. I like Mays over Clausen/McCoy. I still think Mays is an idiot for not coming out last year, but maybe he plays with a chip on his shoulder a la DeSean.

Go 9ers. GO BEARS!

This could have been written by me, I agree with everything except your assessment that Smith's potential is Trent Dilfer-ish. I thought Hostetler was pretty good actually the year he played for Sims. I do think Smith can be far more than serviceable. He's cerebral (which can be good or bad), throws a nice ball, is accurate when not running for his life, and can move around pretty well. He needs to go out and do it obviously, but I think his ceiling is pretty high. People thought Tom Brady had a low ceiling.

I'm not saying the sky is the limit for Alex Smith, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he'll be a very successful QB if they run the offense they installed with him at mid-season and actually give him some time to throw. Crabtree and Davis are weapons. Everyone knows what Gore can do. Maybe one playmaking WR away from being a very dangerous offense, assuming these first round picks can upgrade the line so that it's adequate.

C6Bear
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Let's find out. He's got the same OC and offense 2 years in a row for the first time, and maybe a little more time to pass with a revamped O-line.

As far as Mays, I hope they've got Ronnie Lott on speed dial to teach this kid how to play pass coverage. Big hits will only take you so far in the NFL. And please leave the late hits and cheap shots at $C.

sycasey
04-23-2010, 04:56 PM
I hope you guys are right about Smith, but thus far he hasn't shown much. If he becomes a Dilfer-type, I'd be extremely pleased (though ironically, the Niners pretty much have that guy already in Shaun Hill).

Unit2Sucks
04-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope you guys are right about Smith, but thus far he hasn't shown much. If he becomes a Dilfer-type, I'd be extremely pleased (though ironically, the Niners pretty much have that guy already in Shaun Hill).

Alex did better last year than a lot of guys give him credit for. Let me start by saying I hate Eli Manning and don't think he's a particularly good NFL quarterback. That said, the year he won the super bowl he averaged 6.3 ypa, 23TDs, and 20 INTs, and completed 56% of his passes. Last year, in what was obviously a year in which the niners were feeling out their offense, Alex averaged 6.3 ypa, threw 18 TDs and 12 INTs (which works out to 25.5 TDs and 16.8 INTs if he would have had as many attempts as Eli) and completed 60+% of his passes. I don't think anyone is arguing that Alex peaked last year, obviously the offense was a hot mess with the drastic stylistic change that occurred when he came in and Crabtree started to get going, but he showed that he can play when given a decent supporting cast. They will have had a full off-season to refine the offense and get used to him throwing out of the gun and Crabtree will have had a full off-seasn to get acclimated. Vernon Davis has become a weapon.

I would not be at all surprised if Smith completed 65% of his passes, and had a 2-1 TD/INT ratio next season and think that he has shown he can be more than serviceable. The West is dreadful and the niners have a good shot at winning it, absent horrific injuries to key players.

Cal_Fan2
04-23-2010, 05:39 PM

Not a Smith fan but I really felt sorry for him...Nolan treated him like crap when he was injured...the poor kid had 3 different OC's in a row...on way can you learn new systems every year in the NFL and succeed especially with less then a stellar supporting staff..now that Alex has some stability in Singletary and the OC, he should show that he is a better then average QB.... I'm rooting for him now...

boredom
04-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Smith's #s were inflated by crappy opponents. He started 10 games last year. 5 were against teams that were .500 or better on the season. He had a 1-4 record against those teams. He had 9 tds and 10 picks in those 5 games and had more tds than ints in just one of the 5. His qb ratings in those games: 74.7, 69.3, 88.8, 59.7, 49.3.

Even the one statistically good game he had wasn't actually a good game. He didn't do much until the Niners were down 3 tds in the second half. And even then Smith didn't want to actually risk winning so with the Niners having the ball down only 2 scores early in the 4th he threw a pick at his own 11 yard line. Then, safely behind by 3 tds again, he threw a couple td passes to pad the stats.

And before throwing out excuses, Smith's qb rating was basically the same as Hill's and Hill had tougher opponents, no Crabtree, and no pass happy offense.

maxer
04-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Alex did better last year than a lot of guys give him credit for. Let me start by saying I hate Eli Manning and don't think he's a particularly good NFL quarterback. That said, the year he won the super bowl he averaged 6.3 ypa, 23TDs, and 20 INTs, and completed 56% of his passes. Last year, in what was obviously a year in which the niners were feeling out their offense, Alex averaged 6.3 ypa, threw 18 TDs and 12 INTs (which works out to 25.5 TDs and 16.8 INTs if he would have had as many attempts as Eli) and completed 60+% of his passes. I don't think anyone is arguing that Alex peaked last year, obviously the offense was a hot mess with the drastic stylistic change that occurred when he came in and Crabtree started to get going, but he showed that he can play when given a decent supporting cast. They will have had a full off-season to refine the offense and get used to him throwing out of the gun and Crabtree will have had a full off-seasn to get acclimated. Vernon Davis has become a weapon.

I would not be at all surprised if Smith completed 65% of his passes, and had a 2-1 TD/INT ratio next season and think that he has shown he can be more than serviceable. The West is dreadful and the niners have a good shot at winning it, absent horrific injuries to key players.

Agree, although I don't think he's going to be throwing out of the shotgun much -- Singletary hates the spread, but he went to it last year when it became clear that due to injuries and lack of personnel, the Niners didn't have the O-line to play his style of football -- his style being qb under the center, run first, throw to keep them on their toes. Drafting two very physical offensive lineman in the first round indicates this is what the team is returning to.

In that kind of offense, Smith only needs to be decent so that opposing defenses cannot key on the run.

This is his first year with coaching continuity, and I think with a good line he can be an above average NFL QB. Those of you that want Hill back are deluding yourselves (prob the same guys that call for whoever the backup is when the starter on any team they like has a bad game).

bar20
04-24-2010, 05:40 AM
KNBR had him on the phone about a half hour after he was drafted. He said that Carroll wanted him to be a head hunter rather than go for the ball at U$C. He also said that Pete told him that he would draft him with their second pick if he was still available, then Pete drafted the safety from Texas. Taylor has a big chip on his shoulder regarding how he dropped in the draft. Only time will tell if he can play in the NFL. I know Ronnie Lott is happy the Niners drafted him.

Unit2Sucks
04-24-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm skeptical that the niners can be successful with a smashmouth running game, but maybe they have reason to believe Smith can function better with an improved line and another year of maturation, who knows.

As to Shaun Hill, agreed. He's on the Lions now so he shouldn't even be in the conversation, and he did overperform wins-wise in some games, but he also made backbreaking plays. It's Alex Smith or someone they draft or trade for next year going forward.

Agree, although I don't think he's going to be throwing out of the shotgun much -- Singletary hates the spread, but he went to it last year when it became clear that due to injuries and lack of personnel, the Niners didn't have the O-line to play his style of football -- his style being qb under the center, run first, throw to keep them on their toes. Drafting two very physical offensive lineman in the first round indicates this is what the team is returning to.

In that kind of offense, Smith only needs to be decent so that opposing defenses cannot key on the run.

This is his first year with coaching continuity, and I think with a good line he can be an above average NFL QB. Those of you that want Hill back are deluding yourselves (prob the same guys that call for whoever the backup is when the starter on any team they like has a bad game).

GB54
04-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Alex did better last year than a lot of guys give him credit for. Let me start by saying I hate Eli Manning and don't think he's a particularly good NFL quarterback. That said, the year he won the super bowl he averaged 6.3 ypa, 23TDs, and 20 INTs, and completed 56% of his passes.

Except Eli played much better in the playoffs which is why they won. Six TD's, one INT plus the miraculous escape. If he played like he did in the regular season they would have never beaten Dallas.

Unit2Sucks
04-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Except Eli played much better in the playoffs which is why they won. Six TD's, one INT plus the miraculous escape. If he played like he did in the regular season they would have never beaten Dallas.

He played better and benefited from a lot of good fortune. I would take Alex Smith over Eli. Eli doesn't have a high ceiling - his arm isn't that strong, and he has always had and will always have accuracy problems that Smith doesn't have. It seemed like the light turned on last year for Smith, but I guess we won't know until we see how the beginning of this season plays out. If he struggles, it's over for him. Had he struggled last year, I would have wanted the team to move on, but I agree he earned a chance to be the guy this year. I hope he does something with it.

GB54
04-24-2010, 11:08 AM
He played better and benefited from a lot of good fortune. I would take Alex Smith over Eli. Eli doesn't have a high ceiling - his arm isn't that strong, and he has always had and will always have accuracy problems that Smith doesn't have. It seemed like the light turned on last year for Smith, but I guess we won't know until we see how the beginning of this season plays out. If he struggles, it's over for him. Had he struggled last year, I would have wanted the team to move on, but I agree he earned a chance to be the guy this year. I hope he does something with it.

Can't agree with this. Eli is not great but he has won some big games and football's biggest prize. Smith has done nothing to date but been below average.

sycasey
04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Those of you that want Hill back are deluding yourselves (prob the same guys that call for whoever the backup is when the starter on any team they like has a bad game).

I didn't think Hill was a long-term answer, just that Smith wasn't doing any better (and sometimes worse) over the last couple of seasons.

LethalFang
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM

What!
Alex "small hands" Smith would be lucky not to fumble those balls away if he was put into Eli's situations.
Eli has proven to be a legit NFL starting quarterback, registering over 4000 yards with 93 QB rating, 27 TDs against 14 INTs last year.
What has Alex Smith ever done?

Unit2Sucks
04-24-2010, 11:47 AM
What!
Alex "small hands" Smith would be lucky not to fumble those balls away if he was put into Eli's situations.
Eli has proven to be a legit NFL starting quarterback, registering over 4000 yards with 93 QB rating, 27 TDs against 14 INTs last year.
What has Alex Smith ever done?

I'm not arguing that Smith has had a better career than Eli, but I do think he has the potential to be much better than Eli. I think Eli is an average QB. He was good the first 5 games last year but tailed off to 17 TDs and 12 INTs in the last 11 games .... the same as Smith. Another point to consider - Eli is 29, and Smith is still just 25.

Look, I'm not wedded to Smith, there are a lot of young guys I'd rather have be the QB right now but none of them have been available. I wish the niners made the right move and drafted Rodgers when they had the chance, no question in my mind he's a better QB than Smith, but Rodgers is also better than every other QB in the league of his vintage. There are a lot of guys that I wouldn't trade Smith for, and Eli is one of them, even setting aside Eli's ridiculous contract.

If Smith has a bad year (which he may), the 9ers will move on and hopefully draft Riley after his 2011 Rose Bowl victory, or pick up someone else who can play the position - maybe the kid from Arkansas, I have no idea. I'm not saying that Smith is some can't miss prospect or that I know that he'll play well this year. He's been a total wild card, like everything having to do with the 49ers over the last 5 years other than Willis and to a lesser extent Gore. That said, I think Smith has shown enough to warrant another season, and hope that he shows that his flashes last year were not an aberration.