PDA

View Full Version : Jaworski on Best

BearyWhite
04-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Ron Jaworski on Sportscenter: "[The Lions] get a running back to help Matthew Stafford in Jahvid Best, a guy that can be a grinder and take the pressure off the offense and the defense by controlling the ball and the clock."

If you had one sentence to describe Jahvid, is that how you'd do it? Others have said that Jahvid will sometimes remind Lions fans of Barry Sanders, which is another way of saying he's exactly *not* a grinder who controls the clock.

Cal_Fan2
04-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Ron Jaworski on Sportscenter: "[The Lions] get a running back to help Matthew Stafford in Jahvid Best, a guy that can be a grinder and take the pressure off the offense and the defense by controlling the ball and the clock."

If you had one sentence to describe Jahvid, is that how you'd do it? Others have said that Jahvid will sometimes remind Lions fans of Barry Sanders, which is another way of saying he's exactly *not* a grinder who controls the clock.

When I heard that yesterday I thought the same thing...Toby Gerhart is a grinder...not Best..but his other comments were right on as far as taking pressure off of Stafford etc... Everyone of those guys had pretty good things to say about Best..in fact, despite the fact Alualu was taking maybe a bit early, most made it clear they thought Alualu was a very good player

BearyWhite
04-25-2010, 11:05 AM
When I heard that yesterday I thought the same thing...Toby Gerhart is a grinder...not Best..but his other comments were right on as far as taking pressure off of Stafford etc... I think those other comments follow from the first one, though. Jahvid's not the type (I think) to eat clock 4 yards at a time, so isn't going to enable a 9-minute 4th-quarter drive that takes pressure off the O and D. I don't know who Jaworski was thinking of.

elpbear
04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Jawarski is no dummy, but he always projects a knowledgeable air even when he has no idea what he's talking about. Go back and re-read some of what he wrote on Aaron Rodgers for example. Even as late as going into the 2008 season:

Asked whether he thinks Rodgers is ready, Jaworski said, "No I don't. Aaron Rodgers has a long way to go. ... I think it's going to be a very tough transition for the Packers with Aaron Rodgers." http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/03/05/ron-jaworski-doubts-aaron-rodgers-is-ready-to-replace-brett-favr/. A "long way to go" in his 4th season in the pros? Really, Jaws?

Once Aaron proved he had the chops, Jaws came along of course...

93gobears
04-25-2010, 12:49 PM
How to describe Best: versatile, a back that can run and catch the ball with explosive, game changing speed. I've heard JT refer to him as a Marshall Faulk type player. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

:gobears:

AXLBear
04-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Jawarski is no dummy, but he always projects a knowledgeable air even when he has no idea what he's talking about. Go back and re-read some of what he wrote on Aaron Rodgers for example. Even as late as going into the 2008 season: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/03/05/ron-jaworski-doubts-aaron-rodgers-is-ready-to-replace-brett-favr/. A "long way to go" in his 4th season in the pros? Really, Jaws?

Once Aaron proved he had the chops, Jaws came along of course...

And now it's kinda embarrassing how hard Jaws swings from AR's nuts now.

:gobears:

59bear
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
As much time as he spends breaking down film of NFL action, I wonder how much college ball he sees. Without ever seeing Jahvid, that is, just reading game summaries and watching highlights, you wonder how anyone could describe him as a grinder.

GB54
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
How would you describe Jaworski?

okaydo
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Jaws mispronounced Jahvid's name as "Jayveed" or something like that yesterday.