PDA

View Full Version : a Woman College Football Coach???

jankoski
08-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I just learned about the "pioneering woman high school coach" (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Woman-high-school-football-coach-s-first-loss-co?urn=highschool-265068) in DC, and I'm wondering what Cal people think about the potential of Women coaches in Male College sports? I doubt we will ever see it at Division I for all sorts of reasons, ie., the situation in the linked article, but it could happen at smaller schools with tight budgets. Can anyone offer a benefit to the players, school or our society for women coaches in Male College sports? Should Sandy fire Tedford or anyone else and a hire a woman like Dumpster Muffin in the name of equality?

carebear
08-26-2010, 10:47 AM
are you asking about a woman coaching a male college sport or a woman coaching college football?

calbear77x
08-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Just like what I said when we hired Sandy... If she's the best candidate available, then we should hire her. Right now, it's tough to make that argument because it's impossible to get experience as a female coach. Where do you even go to get your first job? High school if you're lucky, I guess.

But honestly, I don't think this is as unfair is it would initially seem. Most coaches have playing experience, and that would be a very important first step in getting a coaching job. For example, I played water polo in HS and not football, but even though I think I could diagram a pretty nasty playbook, nobody would ever give me the chance to do it.

If a women's football league were to somehow form and women start playing the sport regularly, we could someday see a female head coach in D-1.

It's a long way off, though.