PDA

View Full Version : while watching cal FB, video of WVB too!

OBear073akaSMFan
09-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Maybe I am imagining it but USF video is a lot clearer than Cal's video.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/270.0/popup/index.php?rn=9033886&ch=9270889&cl=21714902

OBear073akaSMFan
09-17-2010, 08:05 PM
..but Cal win the next 3 sets. Finally scores (21-25, 25-18, 25-17, 25-13), at War Memorial Gym. Tomorrow much tougher match against STMary in Moraga.

pearbear
09-17-2010, 08:47 PM
This was my first time watching them this season, but Cal did not look like one of the top teams in the country. Their passing was erratic, which caused a bunch of problems.

They did regroup and by the 4th set, the Bears overwhelmed the Dons with their blocking, set up by some tough serving.

If St. Mary's is right around top 25, then I think Cal will have to play much better tomorrow.

BleacherBear
09-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Yes, they did not look great tonight. To be fair, USF really played well, on top of that. I think you're right, pearbear, the passing was erratic, especially in the first 2 sets. It seemed to me that they weren't quite focused in the first set; the set loss seemed to bring them back into the match. I will say that the blocking was a lot more consistent than it has been, which opened up some opportunities.

St. Mary's took a set off of Stanford tonight, and they lost 2 of the other sets 23-25 and 21-25. Should be the toughest opponent Cal's faced yet this season. I think they'll rise to it; they know St. Mary's is a good team, and it seems as if they get themselves in trouble when they start to let the concentration wane. It'll be a nice test before the tough Pac-10 starts next week.

pearbear
09-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Early on, defense also seemed a half-step slow getting to digs and also some lack of communication. But definitely adjustments were made and you could hear them yelling each other's names as the match went on.

More positives: 1)When the passing was good, the offense is quicker than I remember, creating more opportunities for middles and for down the line shots. Johnson seems particularly adept at that shot, if I recall correctly. 2) I love how Carli Lloyd was really fired up to block every shot that came her way near the end of the match. 3) I was impressed with Murrey. She played with much more control and consistency. There was one shot where she bombed it way out and someone next to me said, "ooh that's old Tarrah right there!" But that seems the exception now. Nice growth.

I liked usf's setter. She ran the offense pretty well and the dons also used her as a hitter, where she's already pretty savvy. Nice get for the dons.

It was fun to watch volleyball again. It's been a while.

OBear073akaSMFan
09-18-2010, 09:23 AM
yes..first game Carli's setups were not on target or our hitters were a step slow. I think once we got our blocking going that seems to get team moving. I loved one sequence 2nd or 3rd set, where we had 3 blocks on the same girl and all on the same play, with the 3rd block twe final put it away and the block was smashed back to the feet of the USF player.

Murray has lost weight, so hopefully she will be quicker and more consistent player this year. So far her play has been outstanding..however many of the teams we have played doesn't have the height like our front line. It will remain to be seen, if Murray can continue her effort against better and taller players.

SMC will offer a much stiffer test especially on the road. Even though they lost the games they have actually taken 1 set from Stanford, UCLA, and Hawaii. Good luck Bears!