PDA

View Full Version : A glimmer of hope for the Big Game?

chalcidbear
10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
First of all, even though the Big Game is at Memorial Stadium, I figure we have maybe one chance in three of winning it. However, I take some encouragement from yesterday's Stanford/WSU game. I didn't see the game, but here is the Oakland Tribune's report on it:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/stanford-cardinal/ci_16417509

WSU's passing game IS pretty dam' good, and it sounds like if Tuel hadn't thrown those interceptions, the game would have been MUCH more competitive.

Take home message? WSU will be tougher to beat for us, but the chance of a Cal victory in the Big Game just went up a few notches.

AeroBear
10-24-2010, 09:20 AM
There's always a chance when it comes to the Big Game. There have been many years where the underdog (even big underdog) has won. :gobears:

petalumabear
10-24-2010, 09:23 AM
There is always hope albeit even some confidence when we play in Memorial..
The seniors will target this game and I hope JT pulls out all the stops against LSJU...

drunkoski
10-24-2010, 09:28 AM
We match up very well with the furd. They aren't an elite team at all. I expect a victory.

tequila4kapp
10-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Cal (under Tedford) is to Furd what OSU is to Cal

aceinspace
10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
You gotta ask yourself: Did you think we had a chance last year? When Stanford routed both Oregon and SC.

I think we match up well against them. Obviously we are great at home.

Betting-line-wise I don't think we would be more than a 3-point dog.

BearsLair72
10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
...we will probably be 5-5 at best and motivated at home by then. As I said after the USC game, I think the only thing left for this team is to rain on Stanford's parade and keep the Axe.

Maybe the chance to get to 7-5 will also be a motivating factor, although realistically I can see this team being 6-6 or 5-7 at the best.

If you don't believe me, I will spot you the line and take every single bet I can get on OSU next week. You will be scratching your head and sending me your money, just you wait and see.

:headbang

pappysghost
10-24-2010, 09:34 AM
I think we're better than 50/50 to win the Big Game. I think we still have more talent than Stanford (except for their big advantage at QB), and at home on our turf we should be too fast for them.

drunkoski
10-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Agreed their d is very slow. Big advantage for us. Their oline is very good though.

PapaBear93
10-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Cal (under Tedford) is to Furd what OSU is to Cal

Tedford's Bears is to Harbaugh's Tree as the furd was to Snyder's Bears back in late 80s/early 90s.

In each case the better team (not necessarily same as athletic prowess) consistenly lost.

If we can beat the furd, some new life will be reignited under the Bears for next year.

There's always next year right?

dinan3
10-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Man, I would like to bury those sorry scout-puppies.................

cal93
10-24-2010, 10:46 AM
What about our chances at WSU?

SadbutTrue999
10-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I dont think this means anything for the Big Game. We beat this team with Gerhart last year on their field, so obviously at home we have a chance.

It means the trip to WSU may be much harder than previously thought, and i hope someone on the staff can communicate that to the players. I can totally see a loss @wsu.

GldnBear71
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Still not much of a defense, but the Cougars have shown that they can score.
Washington State is starting top look like one of those games that could bite us in the butt if we have trouble generating offense. It was encouraging yesterday to see our receivers make several difficult catches in cold and wet conditions.

As for the Furd, I don't think their running game will give us too much trouble. Luck is a really good passer, but he is not much of a scrambler. One of the keys to beating the Furd will be whether we can get pressure on Luck.
One thing that might work in our favor -- I think we have better depth than the Furd. If both teams suffer the kind of attrition typical for a season it could work to our advantage by the day of the game.
So far we have been fairly healthy this season, and the USC game is behind us.

falseintellect
10-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Our defense at home against a pro-style offense matches up well.

Stanford defense is still not good, and slow. We can run against them, which is our offense.

drunkoski
10-24-2010, 11:15 AM
i very much worry about wsu. they are getting closer and closer to beating somone and we'll surely be looking ahead to oregon. jesus that would sure be embarassing.

falseintellect
10-24-2010, 11:21 AM
i very much worry about wsu. they are getting closer and closer to beating somone and we'll surely be looking ahead to oregon. jesus that would sure be embarassing.

it would be a perfect cal thing to do. we will upset OSU next week and then get killed by WSU.

Cal was the first team to destroy them (66-3) a couple years ago out there when nobody knew just how bad they were yet.

drunkoski
10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
it would be typical of cal. i remember one year in the 90s where we were WSUs only pac-10 victory in mens and womens basketball and football. i really hope we don't think we can roll anyone without showing up.

Son-of-California
10-24-2010, 12:34 PM
It's The Big Game...anything can happen...and usually does. I am almost more confident coming in as the underdog...The favorite usually struggles.

elpbear
10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
We match up very well with the furd. They aren't an elite team at all. I expect a victory.Damn it, you stole the words out of my mouth.

We matched up with Furd well last year, and even better this year without Gerhart back there. I expect Luck to be better against us this year than last but I think we'll get some chances to pick him off as well. We will have to make the most of those opportunities.