Hey there: I thought I'd run this by someone I respect before posting. I thought, with all the heat developing under Tedford, especially with regard to recruiting after the completion of the SAHPC, I thought I would come up with a list of qualities that we can fairly use to evaluate the performance of a HC. Some of the list is my own personal creation and some of it comes from some google searches on the topic.
If you would be so kind as to take the time to review the list and give your feedback, I would appreciate it. My plan is to post the list as an opportunity for folks on both sides of the Tedford issue to make their points in a more specific focused way. But I don't know if the list is fair or accurate. In the thread, I will post the necessary links as well.
Here is the list:
LIST FOR EVALUATING D1 HEAD FOOTBALL COACHES
• ORGANIZATION AND GAME PLANNING/PREP (I.E. FILM STUDY)
• RUNS EFFECTIVE PRACTICES, TEAM IS IN GOOD CONDITION AND GAME READY
IN GAME PERFORMANCE
• PLAY CALLING
• MAKING IN GAME (HALF-TIME) ADJUSTMENTS
RESPONSIBILITY TO PLAYERS
• EDUCATION-USE OF PROPER TECHNIQUE SO PLAYERS CAN PLAY AT NEXT LEVEL (NFL)
• GRADUATION RATES AND SUPPORT FOR THE ATHLETES ACADEMICS
• EFFECTIVELY REWARDS/DISCIPLINES PLAYERS ACCORDING TO GOOD/BAD FIELD PERFORMANCE WITH MORE/LESS PLAYING TIME.
RESPONSIBILITY TO SCHOOL
• AMBASSADORSHIP-RELATING TO MEDIA, COMMUNITY, FANS, FAMILIES, PRACTICES AND TEACHES GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP
• KEEPS TEAM AND PLAYERS OUT OF TROUBLE WITH NCAA AND UNIVERSITY RULES
• DEMONSTRATES A COMMITMENT TO THE SCHOOL AND ITS POLICIES, TAKING ON ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AS NECESSARY
• ABILITY TO ASSEMBLE A COMMITTED TEAM OF COACHES
• ABILITY TO IMPROVE AND KEEP UP WITH LATEST TRENDS IN COACHING IN ORDER TO STAY COMPETITIVE
PERFORMANCE RELATIVE TO TALENT AND PAY
• EXECUTION LEVEL OF PLAYERS COMPARED TO TALENT LEVEL
• VALUE: PERFORMS AT A LEVEL COMMENSURATE WITH HIS PAY SCALE.
SCOPE OF ABILITY
• VERSATILITY IN TYPES OF SCHEMES RUN
True Blue Golden Bear