The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7

The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 (http://bearinsider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Olympic Sports (http://bearinsider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   ESPN SOFTBALL ARTICLE: Cal # 2 (http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56269)

CalFanatic 02-08-2012 11:42 AM

ESPN SOFTBALL ARTICLE: Cal # 2

[url]http://espn.go.com/college-sports/blog/_/name/college_sports/id/7554798/cal-golden-bears-welcome-valerie-arioto-back-fold-college-softball[/url]

Great Article!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: CAL #1! I didn't see Arizona State's write up before ours. Don't know how to delete the post. Wow, even better!

#17Fan 02-08-2012 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=CalFanatic;706384][url]http://espn.go.com/college-sports/blog/_/name/college_sports/id/7554798/cal-golden-bears-welcome-valerie-arioto-back-fold-college-softball[/url]

Great Article!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: CAL #1! I didn't see Arizona State's write up before ours. Don't know how to delete the post. Wow, even better![/QUOTE]

Not fond of the target painted on the backs of this years uniforms.

CalFanatic 02-08-2012 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=#17Fan;706445]Not fond of the target painted on the backs of this years uniforms.[/QUOTE]

I agree it's always to sneak up without the target... ie 2002.

Schroeder71 02-08-2012 01:39 PM

Cal plays #8 & #20 this weekend, too.

I was waiting on this article to get to the Cal spot for a few days... My computer still displayed Alabama today and Cal tomorrow (I guess). I was too dumb to go find the Cal article. I too am stunned that Cal is tabbed #1 by writer Hays. Val must pitch and the team must stay 90% healthy for this dream to be realized.

I have a question: did Jace Williams have to sit out a season (redshirt) because she transferred inside the conference? I noticed that Tennessee's top RBI player transferred to Arizona and is starting at 3rd base. The Vols are absolutely loaded, however.

GO BEARS!

#17Fan 02-08-2012 06:23 PM

[url]http://espn.go.com/college-sports/blog/_/name/college_sports/id/7554798/cal-golden-bears-welcome-valerie-arioto-back-fold-college-softball[/url]

youngbear1992 02-09-2012 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=Schroeder71;706462]
I have a question: did Jace Williams have to sit out a season (redshirt) because she transferred inside the conference? I noticed that Tennessee's top RBI player transferred to Arizona and is starting at 3rd base. The Vols are absolutely loaded, however.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Jace played for UW in 2008 and redshirted in 2009.

[url]http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-softbl/mtt/williams_jace00.html[/url]

Really like the way this team is made up. Top notch pitching, great defense, and a blend of speed, high OBP, and power in the lineup. This should be a great season. For Cal to live up to these lofty expectations, I think the key players may be Jace Williams, Britt Vonk (who had shoulder surgery in the Fall), and the freshmen Cheyenne Cordes and Brenda Kostreba. I'm not sure how Coach Ninemire will get those 2 freshmen bats in the lineup -- move Vonk to 2B and start Cordes at SS? Kostreba at DH most games? I'm sure the best players will play somehow.

59bear 02-09-2012 07:42 AM

I thought there was some talk of Vonk to the outfield.

Schroeder71 02-09-2012 07:53 AM

I don't remember that discussion but...

it's logical. The three freshmen sluggers are all infielders. If it doesn't happen this year, it probably will next season when all three senior outfielders graduate (the Reid twins & Frani Echavarria). GO BEARS!

CalFanatic 02-09-2012 09:24 AM

It's hard with this team. People like Vic might lose her starting spot for a freshman but damn she hit the hell out of the ball in the postseason and was phenomenal at D. Everyone must understand their roles.

What other teams are worrying about having to much talent? Nice "issue" to have! Graham hays just named his top players at each position, Jace at 3rd, Val at Utility, Jolene 2nd team pitcher and mention of Britt.

youngbear1992 02-09-2012 09:39 AM

In addition to the 3 OF spots, 1B and 3B will be open next year when Arioto and Williams graduate. So this year's freshmen will have a lot of spots for playing time next year, although Vonk and Cordes at SS will need to be decided. Vonk is an awesome athlete. Her range and arm at SS are terrific. I could see Cordes be asked to play 2B or 3B next year. This year, maybe Vonk's shoulder is still recovering and she plays 2B or OF or DHs half the games. My guess at a "standard" lineup for this year:

[FONT="Courier New"]
LF Jamia Reid
2B Britt Vonk
3B Jace Williams
1B Val Arioto
C Lindsey Ziegenhirt
DH Breana Kostreba/Jolene Henderson
RF Elia Reid
CF Fran Echavarria
SS Cheyenne Cordes[/FONT]

Schroeder71 02-09-2012 10:45 AM

my lineup guess...

LF Jamia Reid
2B Britt Vonk
SS Cheyenne Cordes
1B Val Arioto
3B Jace Williams
DH Breana Kostreba/Danielle Henderson
C Lindsey Ziegenhirt
CF Frani Echavarria/Ashley Decker
RF Elia Reid
--------------------------------------
P Jolene Henderson

It appears as if Victoria Jones, Ashley Decker & Jordan Wallace will not be starters this season...

youngbear1992 02-09-2012 11:03 AM

Cordes will move up in the lineup, but it's a lot of pressure to bat her 3rd. Hitting 7-9 to start the year seems right -- let her focus on defense at SS first. By the end of the year, I agree she could end up hitting #3 although #5 or #6 seems more appropriate if Jace has another good year. Senior leadership is important.

Can't wait to see how this weekend goes!

Go Bears!

OBear073akaSMFan 02-09-2012 12:38 PM

People are discounting Victoria Jones..who fielded and hit well last year at 2nd. She is a person who definitely can work the count.and always seem to get a piece of the ball. I like her at 2nd. Vonk will start at DH and will sub at 2nd/ss when the other rest. I could see
Breana Kostreba playing in the OF ..maybe for Elia if she is struggling. We shall see friday who Diane opens with. Go Bears...

Question with so many hitters will Jo be hitting too or will she be pinch hit for?

#17Fan 02-09-2012 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=youngbear1992;706815]In addition to the 3 OF spots, 1B and 3B will be open next year when Arioto and Williams graduate. So this year's freshmen will have a lot of spots for playing time next year, although Vonk and Cordes at SS will need to be decided. Vonk is an awesome athlete. Her range and arm at SS are terrific. I could see Cordes be asked to play 2B or 3B next year. This year, maybe Vonk's shoulder is still recovering and she plays 2B or OF or DHs half the games. My guess at a "standard" lineup for this year:

[FONT="Courier New"]
LF Jamia Reid
2B Britt Vonk
3B Jace Williams
1B Val Arioto
C Lindsey Ziegenhirt
DH Breana Kostreba/Jolene Henderson
RF Elia Reid
CF Fran Echavarria
SS Cheyenne Cordes[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Chey is a great 3b, but she does not compare to Hendu at that position. With her range and arm, it would also be a waste to play her at 3rd. If she can't break into the infield (unlikely), she can also be very effective in the outfield. Also, no way she hits 9th. I wouldn't be surprised to see her 4th or 5th. Diane doesn't seem to be bothered putting that kind of pressure on young hitters.

With as many walks as Val gets, she needs to move up or down. Clean up is not a spot for someone who walks more than she hits. In 2010, she walked almost twice for every hit. She walked just a bit over 3 times for every extra base hit. Cleanup needs to be someone looking to hit it hard at every AB. What makes Val such an AWESOME offensive player, her eye and patience for the perfect pitch, is also what makes her a poor cleanup hitter. She needs to hit 2/3 or 5/6, where she can use those tools more effectively. in my humble opinion. We'll see!

youngbear1992 02-09-2012 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=59bear;706749]I thought there was some talk of Vonk to the outfield.[/QUOTE]

Well, according to Jace's Hot Corner blog post on 2/1, Vonk is only looking at SS and 2B.

[url]http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-softbl/thehotcorner.html[/url]

"where could people be playing this spring? I originally had these in no particular order, but my editor suggested putting them in alphabetical order to avoid any confusion. I want to reiterate that these are possibilities and in no way a solidified line-up. And remember, it's alphabetical.

Pitchers: Valerie Arioto, Arianna Erceg, Jolene Henderson, Nikki Owens
Catchers: Victoria Jones, Taylor Vincent, Lindsey Ziegenhirt
First Base: Valerie Arioto, Danielle Henderson, Jolene Henderson, Alex Robben
Second Base: Cheyenne Cordes, Victoria Jones, Mary Lee, Britt Vonk, Jace Williams
Third Base: Danielle Henderson, Breana Kostreba, Jace Williams
Shortstop: Cheyenne Cordes, Victoria Jones, Britt Vonk
Left Field: LaRisa Jones, Jamia Reid
Center: Cheyenne Cordes, Frani Echavarria, Jamia Reid
Right: Ashley Decker, Breana Kostreba, Elia Reid"

Vonk or Cordes at SS seems like the first big decision because both bats need to be in the lineup. Kostreba seems like another big bat that needs to be in the lineup. 2B, RF, and DH are the positions where last year's starter may not keep their spot. Tough calls all around. In this regard, I'm glad I'm not Coach Ninemire!