Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 199

Thread: Burn down Penn State

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    You would be hard-pressed to find anyone who was remotely associated with the University from the time period we are talking about still involved with the school. The present administration (talking above Sandy for the most part) put enough changes and controls in place that the NCAA reduced the punishment that was in place...no court order, no threatening legal action, nothing that made them had to do that, they just saw a lot of steps in the right direction.
    The offense(s) at PSU was way beyond football, and punishing the team/school further means next to nothing. Its easy to want to hate Penn State (I admit to being not a fan), but there have been changes there, and it starts with the fact that no coach is or will ever be the legend that Paterno was.
    Allowing a pedo to molest children under his nose kind of takes the shine off of that "legend's" coaching accomplishments.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    You would be hard-pressed to find anyone who was remotely associated with the University from the time period we are talking about still involved with the school. The present administration (talking above Sandy for the most part) put enough changes and controls in place that the NCAA reduced the punishment that was in place...no court order, no threatening legal action, nothing that made them had to do that, they just saw a lot of steps in the right direction.
    The offense(s) at PSU was way beyond football, and punishing the team/school further means next to nothing. Its easy to want to hate Penn State (I admit to being not a fan), but there have been changes there, and it starts with the fact that no coach is or will ever be the legend that Paterno was.
    What was done by people at Penn State was horrific. The reputations of the criminals who ran their AD can never be salvaged. But the University, any institution, can change and if it has changed it can build for itself a new reputation. Once it has done so, I don't see any point in belaboring the past and condemning the present custodians for something they had nothing to do with and in fact have worked to prevent in the future.

    Imagine you are a 2016 graduating HS senior in the State of Pennsylvania hoping to attend one of its finest universities. Would you like to find big time college sports to enjoy during your time there? Why should those students be deprived because decades ago criminals (now long gone) once occupied the institution?

  3. #33
    True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    She has robes and she has monkeys, lazy diamond studded flunkies
    Posts
    12,077
    I have always been curious about what happened to the JoePa statue. If they put it up for sale on ebay perhaps the California Coastal Commission could submit a successful bid and sink it off the coast as part of a reef system...or maybe a Satanic cult could use in for ceremonial purposes. It is a shame to see good art go to waste.




  4. #34

  5. #35
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    21,895
    Did Sandy tweet congrats to our draft picks?

    (I actually looked on draft weekend, and she didn't. I know many of you think, "who cares?" But she was around Goff and Co. for a year and half and longer.)

  6. #36
    Golden Bear mbBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pa. (near Philly)
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    I see ... UC Berkeley is still considered a hippie-hooligan-commie U because of the past ... but PedoU gets a pass now because all that neddik coach-boy play has gone by ... sure.
    There was a cultural phenomena at Cal, some of which we don't want to associate with, some of which we create parks, and monuments for. like the Free Speech movement.

    At Penn State, One man did unspeakable things, not associated with anyone actually attending the university, and then it was handled poorly by leaders/administrators. Penn State alums hate that Sandusky ever-lived, but this was hardly a student/alumni based event, or a university cultural happening.

    "PedoU" is making light of what was nothing short of a tragedy and catastrophe-but "if someone is going to make fun of Berkeley, I need to say something stupid back.!!" You need to find ways and/or nicknames to put down other (mostly successful) programs like a dumbass teenager, so yeah, I get it..."sure."

    Maybe take the high road every now and then? The University of California is great because it is, not because others are not.
    Last edited by mbBear; 05-06-2016 at 08:31 PM.

  7. #37
    Golden Bear mbBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pa. (near Philly)
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by LACalFan View Post
    Allowing a pedo to molest children under his nose kind of takes the shine off of that "legend's" coaching accomplishments.
    I should have typed "legend" with quotes. At least at that university, I know that a coach won't ever again have that kind of status and power, and, in the end less accountability. Even with the most successful programs (Meyer, Saban, et. al.), University Presidents and AD's got a wake up call.
    Did JoePa report it and his bosses drop the ball? Did JoePa really not "get" what was happening? He was clueless enough for that (from what I have been told from those who played for him) that its possible. It was all very ugly, and though I wasn't a Paterno fan, I often feel like people forget that this was still about Sandusky first and foremost.
    Last edited by mbBear; 05-06-2016 at 08:19 PM.

  8. #38
    True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    She has robes and she has monkeys, lazy diamond studded flunkies
    Posts
    12,077
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    .... I often feel like people forget that this was still about Sandusky first and foremost.
    I disagree. The enablers set the table for the predators and they are motivated by the preservation of their wealth, power and reputations (see the Hierarchy of the Catholic Church). Although the predators belong in prison, most of them are bat sh*t crazy (Sandusky looks like he is playing with a quarter of a deck at most), the enablers are stone cold sober, calculating, and willing to throw children under the bus to maintain their status quo.

  9. #39
    If the Catholic Church can stay up, then so can Penn State.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    I disagree. The enablers set the table for the predators and they are motivated by the preservation of their wealth, power and reputations (see the Hierarchy of the Catholic Church). Although the predators belong in prison, most of them are bat sh*t crazy (Sandusky looks like he is playing with a quarter of a deck at most), the enablers are stone cold sober, calculating, and willing to throw children under the bus to maintain their status quo.
    Amazing how all the defenders of PedoU are certain, no doubt about it, that everything has been cleaned out, cleared out ... move on, no story, chaste is back ... worship the three monkeys ... all over ... past history ... move along ... lol

  11. #41
    Golden Bear mbBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pa. (near Philly)
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    I disagree. The enablers set the table for the predators and they are motivated by the preservation of their wealth, power and reputations (see the Hierarchy of the Catholic Church). Although the predators belong in prison, most of them are bat sh*t crazy (Sandusky looks like he is playing with a quarter of a deck at most), the enablers are stone cold sober, calculating, and willing to throw children under the bus to maintain their status quo.
    Way to take the last line only. I mean, this wasn't the Catholic Church where there were multiple offenders. Quite a bit of my post talked about a changed culture and "legend" status changing. Its the easy way out to point to one enabler (Paterno) when that isn't clear at all. Again, the blame game doesn't change the fact that there is one really bad guy in this story.

  12. #42
    Golden Bear mbBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pa. (near Philly)
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    Amazing how all the defenders of PedoU are certain, no doubt about it, that everything has been cleaned out, cleared out ... move on, no story, chaste is back ... worship the three monkeys ... all over ... past history ... move along ... lol
    Oh, a new narrative for the guy who creates them from nothing. One fact from you that makes you believe there is a better chance that this will happen at Penn State (again) vs. the University of California? You, with your infinite wisdom, knows of a key person still in place in Happy Valley?
    Sexual stories of the last 2 years has Cal leading 2-0...oh, I forgot, anything that Cal is doing well, you are all in.

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    Way to take the last line only. I mean, this wasn't the Catholic Church where there were multiple offenders. Quite a bit of my post talked about a changed culture and "legend" status changing. Its the easy way out to point to one enabler (Paterno) when that isn't clear at all. Again, the blame game doesn't change the fact that there is one really bad guy in this story.
    Whoa ... beware of the Chief Defender of PedoU ...
    mb is fierce defending Happy Happy Valley boyz back in Pennsylvania
    Sorry to rile you, sport. Go get 'em, mb

  14. #44
    Golden Bear mbBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pa. (near Philly)
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    Whoa ... beware of the Chief Defender of PedoU ...
    mb is fierce defending Happy Happy Valley boyz back in Pennsylvania
    Sorry to rile you, sport. Go get 'em, mb
    You created the "defender" narrative. I prefer factual ones.
    I am no fan of Penn St. I have talked to kids who had to deal with this labeling crap, having entered the school in recent years, long after any of this happened. I have a good friend who was a starting O-lineman for JoePa (his last win was the game before the wins taken away from Paterno), who has gone through embarrassment, and volunteered to do what he could to help.
    That's where I am coming from, and if that isn't good enough for you then you can go **** yourself accusing me of being the Chief Defender.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    ... That's where I am coming from, and if that isn't good enough ...
    Whatever is good for you, chill, carry on (and on and on), it's all yours, sport, adios, aloha ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •