Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Burn down Penn State

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    She has robes and she has monkeys, lazy diamond studded flunkies
    Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    If the Catholic Church can stay up, then so can Penn State.
    That's fine, but it has to write a check proportional to the $4 billion the Church paid out.

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    That's fine, but it has to write a check proportional to the $4 billion the Church paid out.
    but, if they do, it must be done very quietly so incoming frosh aren't disturbed ... shhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    but, if they do, it must be done very quietly so incoming frosh aren't disturbed ... shhhhhhhh
    What an ass you are. That's what you took away from my comment, that "frosh shouldn't be disturbed." You don't think students/alums don't hate that it happened?! Part of the settlement has been money and awareness for exactly this cause.
    And beyond that- Penn St. students have the number one on-campus charity event in the nation. Started before Sandusky.
    http://thon.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    Can we reserve some shade for the idiot PSU fans who continue to insist this is all a conspiracy to bring down PSU football? I understand being loyal to one's tribe, but those people need to pump the brakes.
    Is that a real group? Maybe at the beginning there were a few, but you like to think the facts shut that up real quick (and facts that might continue to come out). I can tell you, from being friends with a former player who is smart and involved, that was not the mindset that he had, or anyone he was involved with.

not sure if we consider this proportional but: (article from 2015)

Penn State's athletic department will complete payments of the NCAA's former $60 million fine that will be used to fund child-abuse prevention causes in Pennsylvania.

The NCAA and state Senate Majority Leader Jake Corman announced a proposed settlement last week to Corman's lawsuit seeking to keep the original $60 million fine in Pennsylvania. According to the settlement terms, the 2012 consent decree, which included the fine, would be repealed, and Penn State's 112 vacated football victories would be restored.

In addition, Penn State agreed to commit $60 million to child-abuse prevention services in Pennsylvania. The Commonwealth will receive $48 million, and Penn State will use the remaining $12 million to establish an endowment designed for research, education and public-service programs "to help eradicate child abuse."

Penn State's athletic department already had set aside $36 million to pay the fine, university spokesperson Lisa Powers said. The athletic department also will be responsible for the remaining $24 million.

note: not related to the victims' payouts..that's additional

Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    not sure if we consider this proportional but: (article from 2015)

Penn State's athletic department will complete payments of the NCAA's former $60 million fine that will be used to fund child-abuse prevention causes in Pennsylvania.

The NCAA and state Senate Majority Leader Jake Corman announced a proposed settlement last week to Corman's lawsuit seeking to keep the original $60 million fine in Pennsylvania. According to the settlement terms, the 2012 consent decree, which included the fine, would be repealed, and Penn State's 112 vacated football victories would be restored.

In addition, Penn State agreed to commit $60 million to child-abuse prevention services in Pennsylvania. The Commonwealth will receive $48 million, and Penn State will use the remaining $12 million to establish an endowment designed for research, education and public-service programs "to help eradicate child abuse."

Penn State's athletic department already had set aside $36 million to pay the fine, university spokesperson Lisa Powers said. The athletic department also will be responsible for the remaining $24 million.

note: not related to the victims' payouts..that's additional
    Thanks for the info. I can't judge what's fair at this point, but clearly this is movement in the right direction so they can move forward. I just wish the payments to JoPa's family would have been conditioned upon them keeping their pie holes permanently shut on this issue.
    Last edited by bearister; 05-07-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Absolutely idiotic thread. Internet outrage is so f*cking tiresome. Not to mention for such a tired ass topic.

I can just imagine some other school's message board:
    "Burn down Cal-Berkley. Their coaches trap women in garages and try to rape them. Burn it down now!"

The conspiracy theorists are still working this issue, portraying the Sandusky/Paterno scandal not as a Penn State problem but a Jesuit/Knights of Columbus issue.

The link below is to the Modern Gnostic story about this (bottom of Page). Because of the linkage between the Jesuits and the Knights of Columbus to the priest pedophilia
    scandal and the linkage of Paterno/Sandusky to the Knights of Columbus, the story has certain plausibility but linkages to Supreme Court Justices are more far fetched. Still
    I think that the roles at Penn State of prominent Catholic/members of the Knights of Columbus in the Sandusky affair were central to the coverup, more than other members
    of PSU admin. Still, the vitriol in the story is not recommended for practicing Catholics and some of the statistics cited are hard to believe. It certainly is some of the
    harshest anti-Catholic criticism I have read, but then the Catholic pedophilia scandal has generated harsh criticism.

http://www.themoderngnostic.com/?p=72022

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman_is_Gone View Post
    Absolutely idiotic thread. Internet outrage is so f*cking tiresome. Not to mention for such a tired ass topic.

"Burn down Cal-Berkley. Their coaches trap women in garages and try to rape them. Burn it down now!"
    I agree.

I took something away from this thread. I've felt pretty negatively towards anything PSU-related since the scandal, but it's not fair to hold that against the whole school, especially those within it who agree it was an abomination and have been working to change PSU for the better since it happened.

This thread didn't even make Rolling Stone's Top 100 Most Idiotic Threads on BI.
    Last edited by bearister; 05-08-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks for the info. I can't judge what's fair at this point, but clearly this is movement in the right direction so they can move forward. I just wish the payments to JoPa's family would have been conditioned upon them keeping their pie holes permanently shut on this issue.
    Here are the dollars associated with the victims.

NBC News, citing university documents published this week, reported that Penn State has spent more than $92 million in the last two years on settlements and related costs to the Sandusky scandal.

The $92.8 million - paid or set aside for 32 claims, according to an audited financial statement released by the university this week - includes $33.2 million for related costs on top of what had been previously reported.

Anyone else remember the homophobia at Cal in the Sixties that resulted in the removal of the stall doors in the men's toilets in Harmon Gym?
    There were complaints about homosexual activity behind the closed stall doors in campus restrooms, and then the stall doors disappeared.
    I don't remember much in the way of gay rights protests on campus back then; at least compared to free speech, anti-war, and free sex protests;
    but I preferred some privacy which I no longer had in Harmon. Almost fifty years later use of rest rooms still stirs into a national debate.

Is this sort of pedophilia linked to Sandusky and Penn State any worse than that of Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Branch of the Mormon Church
    or the Irish Travelers in Georgia marrying 12 year old girls? Penn State became the poster child, but was hardly the only the only institution turning a blind
    eye in this country. At least the Bundys are in jail now, but for destruction of Federal Property not their Fundamentalist Mormon beliefs. Scattered
    throughout this country are enclaves of true believers whose practices are illegal in most states, yet they have been allowed to hide behind security
    fences and create a closed environment unknown to the rest of us until some atrocity like a mass suicide is discovered. Without media/internet outrage
    would we even know of some of these scandals; I doubt it. At least now the question is not whether such abusive practices occur, but to what extent,
    and that is progress.

Last edited by sp4149; 05-07-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: editing

The previous post gives rise to one burning question:

Without stall doors in the restrooms would Sen. Larry Craig still have had to learn advanced foot tapping technique for communicating intentions between stalls?

Last edited by bearister; 05-08-2016 at 08:23 AM.

The previous post gives rise to one burning question:

Without stall doors in the restrooms would Sen. Larry Craig had to have still learned advanced foot tapping technique for communicating intentions between stalls?
    Maybe SC has an on-line course for fifth year seniors in bathroom etiquette...