Page 330 of 330 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330
Results 4,936 to 4,948 of 4948

Thread: cal's monster class deux

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    Slimming down rosters puts you on a path to eventually dropping money losing women's teams. That's where the potential savings come in. On their own, cutting walk-on's is a pretty inconsequential move, financially.
    agreed, reducing men's roster slots combined with cutting certain men's sports then allows the elimination of several women's teams & remain in compliance with title ix

that's why reducing men's roster spots right now is necessary to move forward with additional cuts

continued overspending is not an option with today's budgetary constraints for the university, a significantly slimmer athletic department will benefit the cal basketball & football programs

let's do this (the time is now)#

This is only somewhat true. I agree with the overall premise, but right now, we are using Prong 3 of Title IX. The strategy you are suggesting requires a move to Prong 1. Right now, we would be so far out of compliance with Prong 1 that it would be virtually impossible to cut any women's sports without cutting many men's (even with roster reductions).

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    This is only somewhat true. I agree with the overall premise, but right now, we are using Prong 3 of Title IX. The strategy you are suggesting requires a move to Prong 1. Right now, we would be so far out of compliance with Prong 1 that it would be virtually impossible to cut any women's sports without cutting many men's (even with roster reductions).
    Do you know what the ratio (or other formula) is for prong 1? We could eliminate a ton of male spots fairly easily.

Prong 1 requires the same percentage of participants as the percentage of students in the university (currently 53% female, but anticipated to go to 60% female by 2025). Right now, we're way out of compliance with that.

Unless we want to go the route of some SEC schools who see athletics solely in terms of entertainment and not for participation, it is going to be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Prong 1 requires the same percentage of participants as the percentage of students in the university (currently 53% female, but anticipated to go to 60% female by 2025). Right now, we're way out of compliance with that.

Unless we want to go the route of some SEC schools who see athletics solely in terms of entertainment and not for participation, it is going to be a challenge.
    Are we really tho? As it is, we already have more women's teams. Obviously, they're smaller. But If we can eliminate men's XC and track, gym, soccer, and reduce roster sizes everywhere else, we could cut upwards of 200 spots or more. Would we still really be far off from those percentages?

And yes, I do understand the diversity challenge. But we might be able to get away with it if we keep the women's CX and track teams.

When you take large men's only sports with football and rugby, yes, we're way out of balance based on Prong 1. Cutting football down to 110 including walk-ons, cutting rugby down to 30 or so and cutting crew by 25-50% and starting a women's rugby program coached and fully-funded by Clark and staff might allow a switch over to Prong 1 and the subsequent women's and men's program eliminations that come with it but I'm not sure even that's enough to do it.

NFL Draft

Congrats to Khalfani Muhammad for being selected in round 7 of the NFL Draft

Last edited by HoopDreams; Yesterday at 05:49 PM.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

cal's go all the way up class (2017)

if you ask them high character true student athletes of cal's go all the way up class (2017) where they live, they gonna point at the berkeley hills & tell you to go all the way up in their fueled up uber helicopter...just ask french montana, nothing can stop them

juhwan harris dyson, 3.0 gpa

trevin knell, 4.0 gpa

justice sueing jr, 3.8 gpa

grant anticevnich, 3.75 gpa (equivalent)

deschon winston, 3.9 gpa

curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach that wants to date & marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad, gpa unknown

cal's go all the way up class (2017)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

mason forbes

the new cal staff is keeping an eye on 6'7" 180 lbs wing mason forbes of folsom, his sister kenzie is a california golden bear commit for coach gottlieb, both are in the 2018 class

mason is flying under the radar right now but he got a 4.0 gpa but more importantly he got great (not good) hair...moms sasha can't ball at all but dad sterling toured with the harlem globetrotters for 10 years

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-sc...e56942893.html

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and a short drive from folsom & roseville on game days)

Bbb

Lonzo Ball after his dad told Nike, UA and Adidas he wasn't going sign a deal with them...
    ...cause he's got his own shoe

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...eal-lonzo-ball

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    the new cal staff is keeping an eye on 6'7" 180 lbs wing mason forbes of folsom, his sister kenzie is a california golden bear commit for coach gottlieb, both are in the 2018 class

mason is flying under the radar right now but he got a 4.0 gpa but more importantly he got great (not good) hair...moms sasha can't ball at all but dad sterling toured with the harlem globetrotters for 10 years

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-sc...e56942893.html

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and a short drive from folsom & roseville on game days)
    & grand-dad Sterling was the L. A. City POY from Jordan H.S.

brenden glapion

congrats brenden from the prez of the brenden glapion fan club & her dumb azz dad, we enjoyed dinner with you & your fam last monday at eureka...this is a remarkable achievement, stanford & columbia are missing out by putting you on their acceptance wait lists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fVDAjs9f0

the magic of cal basketball (a father & his daughter & a cal grad)#

ivan rabb

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-draft-combine

He is conspicuously absent from the list of invitees published by ESPN. While the article has the caveat that the list is not 'official,' sure seems odd his name is not on it.
    trust me, my man young ivee has been invited to the 2017 nba combine, he's battling for a lottery selection spot in the 1st round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZSkVcvJnWk

shine brite (made it thru the hurricane)#