Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Juhwan Harris-Dyson commits to Cal

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    So, Baker and JHD are buds.... but they play the same SG position, no?
    Is this like Bird and Mathews?
    Does one of them play SF or PG?
    I really don't think this staff (or many others) still runs a continuity set with PG,SG,SF,PF,C. Probably better to think in terms of Posts (or Bigs), Wings, ball Handlers and hybrids along with defensive assignments.

Wings: Bird, Moute A Bidias
    Handlers: Singer, Moore, Chauca
    Hybrid Wing/Post: Domingo, Davis
    Hybrid Wing/Handler: Coleman, Hamilton?

In most cases you'll see one Handler, two Wings and two Posts (with a Hybrid Wing/Handler) from CM. Based on the last couple of seasons, we may see us go 'small' with one Post and either 3 Wings or 2 Handlers.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachedBear View Post
    Wings: Bird, Moute A Bidias
    Handlers: Singer, Moore, Chauca
    Hybrid Wing/Post: Domingo, Davis
    Hybrid Wing/Handler: Coleman, Hamilton?
    Mullins at wing/handler?

From what little I've seen of Hamilton I'd guess wing.

Baker and JHD can play together. If you've noticed the trend in Martin's recruiting, he's been going after multi-positional players.

It sounds like Harris-Dyson was a forward who is learning guard skills, so I suppose he could play SF in college. I haven't heard anything about either playing PG.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    It sounds like Harris-Dyson was a forward who is learning guard skills, so I suppose he could play SF in college. I haven't heard anything about either playing PG.
    If he's projected to grow to 6'8" as some report stated, then he'd be well-suited size-wise for SF.

Mullins at wing/handler?

Good catch Stu. I knew I was forgetting someone. My sense is Mullins will get top rotation PT at Wing/Handler

Harris-Dyson has been credited by his coach as having worked hard on his handle that enables him to glide through traffic on his way to the hoop. Coach has also commented on the combo guard leading the break and making good decisions distributing the ball. I'm usually suspicious of the "evolving" shot from the perimeter description, but Harris-Dyson's videos show good form on his shot, and his numbers do reflect his improved scoring from beyond the arc. All of the guards Cuonzo has recruited appear to be capable perimeter shooters, which will include Bird this season. That would make the Bears more difficult to defend on the perimeter, when opponents have to account for more than Mathews. Such a threat will give Ivan more room to maneuver and dominate on the inside, and will keep the lane unclogged for guards to drive to the hoop.

Mullins at wing/handler?

The odd thing about Hamilton's playing, based on what his family has said on this board, is that, at least in high school (but in a tough Western League), he, successfully, played a tough post (at 6'4"). I.e., that's what he was particularly talented at. I just hope that Cuonzo and/or someone on his staff has the insight on how to use this extraordinary spirit at this level (because, especially without having seen him in practice, I am clueless).

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Very good get. Martin's gotten off to a good start for 2017.
    I think he will prove to be a really good get and reminds me of Tyson Jolly in terms of his love of defending and versatility. Just needs to improve his shooting and he could be quite a player.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Baker and JHD can play together. If you've noticed the trend in Martin's recruiting, he's been going after multi-positional players.
    Yes though it is odd to take 3 shooting guards in one class and makes me wonder about Hickman.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Yes though it is odd to take 3 shooting guards in one class and makes me wonder about Hickman.
    Hickman is heading to a year of prep in order to:
    a) clean up academics, or
    b) improve his floor game
    ??

I've read here that JHD is borderline on acceptance. 3.0 student will have to do very well on the SAT to get in. If I don't have that right, apologies and I stand corrected, but if '2' and '1a' are true, then that means it's possible that NEITHER could be here in 14 months. And we should be starting to get used to that.

Was able to watch both Baker and Harris-Dyson play this weekend in Vegas(Showcase AAU Tournament), Cal Fans will be impressed with both of them - though Baker is clearly farther along in terms of shooting accuracy, poise under pressure and decision making. Baker took over both games I saw and is a true combo guard who can bring the ball up versus pressure, or slide over the shooting guard position. Excellent first game and then started off slow in second game, but kept focused and brought his LA team to the win over a solid Houston Team by making 4 straight 3's and then 3 of 4 from the FT line to win by 3 pts. Harris-Dyson is very fast, long and athletic. Fearless attacking the basket but sometimes to the detriment, does not drive and dish well and his shot is erratic. However given his youth and athletic ability, he will definitely be a strong player at some point for Cal. Really excited about both of these players upside and court demeanor. Both played with confidence in a highly competitive and fast paced game.

Very good report...thanks a lot 4thGenCal....

Harris-Dyson got crazy hops

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenCal View Post
    Was able to watch both Baker and Harris-Dyson play this weekend in Vegas(Showcase AAU Tournament), Cal Fans will be impressed with both of them - though Baker is clearly farther along in terms of shooting accuracy, poise under pressure and decision making. Baker took over both games I saw and is a true combo guard who can bring the ball up versus pressure, or slide over the shooting guard position. Excellent first game and then started off slow in second game, but kept focused and brought his LA team to the win over a solid Houston Team by making 4 straight 3's and then 3 of 4 from the FT line to win by 3 pts. Harris-Dyson is very fast, long and athletic. Fearless attacking the basket but sometimes to the detriment, does not drive and dish well and his shot is erratic. However given his youth and athletic ability, he will definitely be a strong player at some point for Cal. Really excited about both of these players upside and court demeanor. Both played with confidence in a highly competitive and fast paced game.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    The man can recruit. No doubt about that.