Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Men's Swimming Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctosCalifornicus View Post
    That's one of the reasons why I'm rooting hard for Michael Taylor, Austin Katz, and Bryce Mefford (Bryce's 200 back's almost as good as Michael's) to come on board! I'm sure that they look up to Murph & Pebs to some degree
    With Carr already on board, Durden may have only have room for one more backstroker.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    With Carr already on board, Durden may have only have room for one more backstroker.
    Always appreciate your sensible voice of reason on this board, BD - cheers as usual for bringing my fanciful flights of fantasy merrily crashing back to earth, hard lol

Guess Michael Taylor & Austin Katz aren't likely destined to be s in real life...would always welcome Bryce Mefford with wide open arms tho

--------

Arizona Sports Awards honors for Sept. 29-Oct. 6

Male Athlete of the Week: Ryan Hoffer

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...ct-6/91236878/

--------

* James Daugherty * => Cal

--------

Looks like Durden has added another 2017 baby !

https://twitter.com/jdaugherty17

James Daugherty (#3 FL, #57 Nat) from Bolles, where Murph hails from (along with Dressel, Schooling & Condorelli). Don't know much about him, but a quick glance at his times indicates that Jame's prob a breaststroker whose best event may be at the 100 distance.

--------

James Daugherty: Beyond excited to announce that I will be continuing both my academic and athletic careers at the University of California, Berkeley. I can't put into words how grateful I am for those who have helped me reach this point. Go Bears ��

--------
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 10-01-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: confirmation :)

* Jarod Hatch * => Cal

Jarod Hatch (#5 CA, #26 Nat) => Cal

Hails from the East Bay (Morgan Hill). Middle to Distance oriented, with other skills such as in the 200 Fly??

--------

J-Rod: I am proud to announce that I have committed to the University of California-Berkeley. I can't wait to represent the bay for 4 more years ��

https://twitter.com/JarodHatch/statu...08466111528960

--------

CCS swimming: Sobrato’s Jarod Hatch finds comfort zone in water

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/05/...zone-in-water/

--------

True Blue Golden Bear

Men's team looks like they are having another stellar recruiting year.

Jarod Hatch (#5 CA, #26 Nat) => Cal

Hails from the East Bay (Morgan Hill). Middle to Distance oriented, with other skills such as in the 200 Fly??

--------

J-Rod: I am proud to announce that I have committed to the University of California-Berkeley. I can't wait to represent the bay for 4 more years ��

https://twitter.com/JarodHatch/statu...08466111528960

--------

CCS swimming: Sobrato’s Jarod Hatch finds comfort zone in water

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/05/...zone-in-water/

--------
    Thanks for working overtime and weekends for us fans. Think you are beating swimswam before they update their own website.

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Thanks for working overtime and weekends for us fans. Think you are beating swimswam before they update their own website.
    Cheers but you give me way too much credit! *blush*

SwimSwam's team has to work much much harder in compiling all the data on the commit and write up a nice, detailed article filled with useful stats and pretty pictures, which obviously takes time before it's all ready for publication. They do admittedly enjoy a bit of an advantage in that most of the recruits (or their friends & family) will contact Braden & his staff directly about their verbal first hehe

Me, I just try to post a pretty picture or two...

Austin Katz's visit

Top 10 Swimmers From The Class of 2017

6. Austin Katz – Sarasota YMCA Sharks – Riverview High School – Sarasota, FL
    Best Times: 200 back – 1:41.48, 100 back – 47.23, 200 free – 1:36.67, 100 free – 44.89

Katz is actually faster than Taylor in three of his four main events, and if Taylor’s improvements don’t make the jump to the short pool, Katz will turn out to be the more valuable prospect. And Katz has his own impressive improvement curve: from April 2015 to April 2016 he dropped his 100 back from 48.28 to 47.23 and his 200 from 1:43.70 to 1:41.48. The only thing hurting that backstroke duo is how insane the backstrokes have become at the NCAA level. Call it the Murphy Effect: when a returning NCAA swimmer is going 1:35 in the 200 back, a 1:41 suddenly loses a little of its value.

Honorable Mention (#11-20)

11. Bryce Mefford – Sierra Marlins Swim Team – Oak Ridge High School – El Dorado Hills, CA
    Best Times: 200 back – 1:42.18, 100 back – 48.05, 200 free – 1:36.71, 100 free – 44.62, 200 IM – 1:48.59, 100 fly – 47.89

Very versatile. 200 back is near NCAA scoring level.
    C'mon Michael (Taylor not Andrew the pro) & Austin (heck, Sean too), you know that you've always wanted to be a !!! (but we'll also very very happily welcome Bryce & Daniel to the fold when they announce their commitments )

Guess Dave may have room for 2 elite backstrokers after all - or Bryce may have indicated his interests lie elsewhere, so Durden went for an "upgrade" in response??

If Austin is seriously considering Cal, then our chances with Ashley on the women's side increase exponentially...

Austin is seen here with froski Shane Forker, and ??

--------

Austin Katz: Les go baby #theguy

--------

UPDATE: beaverbear noted the ?? mystery bloke bears a possible resemblance to ‘Aukai Lileikis...hmmm, reckon he's right! Of course we are still waiting for those team portraits from ISI Photos to officially appear on the Men's Swimming roster page...

Here's a podium photo of ‘Aukai for reference - from 2015 USA Swimming Summer Junior Nationals, seen here w/Maxime Rooney & Parks Jones:

Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 10-04-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: ‘Aukai Lileikis

#5 Michael Taylor -> Florida Gators

5. Michael Taylor – Dynamo Swim Club – Johns Creek High School – Alpharetta, GA
    Best Times: 200 back – 1:41.94, 100 back – 47.17, 200 free – 1:37.04, 100 free – 45.83, 50 free – 20.75, 100 fly – 48.50

Based on pure short course times, Taylor should probably rank closer to 8 on this list. But he, like Camden Murphy, gets a “future projection” bump based on his lights-out swimming at U.S. Olympic Trials. Taylor dropped his long course backstroke times from 54.6 to 53.7 in the 100 and 1:58.1 to 1:56.7 in the 200, breaking a junior world record in the latter. If those improvements transfer over to short course, he could be nearly as good as NCAA champ Ryan Murphy was coming out of high school. (Murphy was 46.7/1:40.9 as a junior when we ranked him #2 in the class of 2013).

Michael Taylor: I'm extremely humbled & excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim & continue my education at the University of Florida! Go Gators ��

--------

Michael (#1 GA, #11 Nat - SwimSwam's #5) had visited Gainesville back on the weekend of 17 Sept, seen here with Maxime & Tal Davis (#1 SC, #19 Nat) @ Ben Hill Griffin Stadium:

Tal had made a trip to Sanford Stadium to check out the Dawgs this past weekend, along with Chris Thames (#4 GA, #125 Nat), John Thomas Larson from Edina Swim Club MN, and Jr. National Teamer Brennan Pastorek (#2 GA, #14 Nat - SwimSwam's #13):

Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 10-06-2016 at 04:53 PM. Reason: visits

Charles Vaughan & Trey Freeman

--------

Charles Vaughan: So incredibly excited to announce my commitment to continue my education and swimming career at Harvard University! #Harvard2021

Charles (#1 IN, #30 Nat), from Carmel, was/is close to our Amy...

--------

Re the post below by 2018 recruit (Robert) Trey Freeman (#1 TN, #1 Nat), Baylor Swim Club and on the National Jr. Team - just visiting Gainesville, or expressing his approval of the Gators...or a really early informal commit??!

Trey Freeman: Chomp chomp in the swamp ������ #GoGators

NVM, guess Trey's just making some really early informal visits, judging from these other posts of his:

Trey Freeman: Arizona State of mind ☀️�� #GoDevils

Trey Freeman: Don't mess with Texas #hookem ����

Trey & Simon Lamar (#1 CA, #15 Nat for the 2018 class)
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 10-16-2016 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Trey

After Dave's brill scoop with the very early verbal from #1 recruit Ryan Hoffer to Cal, guess Reese's answering shot is to try to recruit the #2 hometown distance/IM prospect (pictured here w/Will Licon, his former Nitro club mate):

Sean Grieshop has (reportedly) verbaled to the Texas Longhorns.

"Two of my goals have always been to make the Olympics and to swim for Coach Reese. I'm excited to announce that I am halfway there and that my decision to swim for the Longhorns will help me accomplish my goal of making the Olympics. Hook 'em."

--------

But, according to SwimSwam's tweet 20 minutes ago:

"PSA: We've checked with boys' #2 @seanyboy500* he has NOT made a college decision yet, despite reports to the contrary."

https://twitter.com/swimswamnews/sta...96578218786816

--------
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 10-12-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: SwimSwam does NOT confirm Sean's verbal

True Blue Golden Bear

Jackson Gabler (diver) -----> CAL

""If you build it, he will come." Hope the 1st of many future divers!

NCS Champ from De la salle and 4th in the state. Great to get a local recruit

https://swimswam.com/cif-ncs-diving-...y-commits-cal/
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 10-13-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Hoped we could get michael taylor but oh well. Don't know much about diving but the dude has a nice back yard. Or is that a golf course.

Guess Michael Taylor & Austin Katz aren't likely destined to be s in real life...

Austin Katz: Beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of Texas. HOOK EM����

--------

Also, Chris Yeager (#3 TX, #25 Nat ... SwimSwam's #10): "I chose to swim at the University of Texas because of its incredible team atmosphere and legendary coaching. The academics at the University also fit exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to start my time as a Longhorn!"

Sean Grieshop visits Cal this weekend :)

Sean Grieshop has (reportedly) verbaled to the Texas Longhorns.

But, according to SwimSwam's tweet 20 minutes ago:

"PSA: We've checked with boys' #2 @seanyboy500* he has NOT made a college decision yet, despite reports to the contrary."
    Ha, perhaps Oski will help Sean see the light...

--------

Sean Grieshop: Let's go. Let'S GO. LET'S GO.

--------

Hmmm that wasn't from last night, was it?