Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Men's Swimming Recruits

* Nate Biondi * => Cal!

Guess Dave isn't quite done with this class, yet lol.

Latest commit - Nate Biondi, hailing from Simi Valley.

https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/376709/

Swims for Abbey's & Alexa Skorus-Neely's club, Canyons:

--------

Nate Biondi: So excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim for the University of California Berkeley next year! Go Bears! ��

https://twitter.com/Nate_Biondi/stat...79287458455552

--------

Nate Biondi to Continue Family Tradition: Verbals to Cal

Nate Biondi, a senior at Sierra Canyon High School in Chatsworth, California, has verbally committed to swim for the University of California, Berkeley next season. As such, Biondi follows in the footsteps of his father, three-time Olympian Matt Biondi, who graduated from Cal in 1988.

Biondi crashed onto the local scene in Southern California at CIF-Southern Section Division III Championships last May, when he won the 100/200 free double seemingly out of nowhere. His family had moved to California from Hawaii when he began high school. Until then, Biondi had favored basketball, but upon arriving to the mainland, he found he wasn’t quite strong enough in that sport to be a started on his high school’s team, so he turned to swimming with a vengeance. He didn’t swim at CIF as a freshman, but made the A finals of the 200 free (9th with 1:48.34) and 100 free (4th with 48.18). To be fair, he’d been faster in prelims (1:46.58 and 48.01), but still, it was a totally different Nate Biondi who showed up at 2016 CIF. This time he had solid swims in prelims, then monstrous drops in finals: 1:45.66p/1:43.07f in the 200 and 46.99p/46.57f; he also went 21.81 leading off the Sierra Canyon 200 free relay. All of which combined to elevate Sierra Canyon boys’ team to 8th in the team standings.

You can see our interview with him below.

At the time he was swimming with the club team Conejo Simi Swim Club, but moved to Canyons Aquatic Club over the summer. He had a nice showing at Stanford Futures, competing in the 50/100/200m freestyles (24.85/53.74/2:02.35) but didn’t final. Still, he improved by -0.7/-1.6/-1.6, respectively, in those three events year-over-year.

Biondi continues to improve. He earned his first Winter Juniors cut earlier this month, with a 45.65 in the 100y free. His best SCY times are:

• 50 free – 21.26
    • 100 free – 45.65
    • 200 free – 1:43.07
    • 100 back – 53.90
    • 100 fly – 53.72
    • 200 IM – 2:00.50

https://swimswam.com/nate-biondi-con...n-verbals-cal/

--------
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 11-14-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: SwimSwam article

True Blue Golden Bear
    Son to the greatest Cal swimming legacy ever.............. Welcome home Nate!

According to Dad only been swimming year round for 2 years! Lots of potential upside.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2016...wimming-finals
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 11-13-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post

According to Dad only been swimming year round for 2 years! Lots of potential upside.

Cheers for filling in what should have been the headline in my original post *smacks myself in the face for not paying attention to the legendary surname*

Quote Originally Posted by UrsusArctosCalifornicus View Post
    Cheers for filling in what should have been the headline in my original post *smacks myself in the face for not paying attention to the legendary surname*
    Great to continue to welcome legacy Bears to the team. Young Nate's times to date: 21.26 50 Y free, 45.65 100 Y free and 1:43.07 200 Y free, place him well outside of Pac 12 scoring but as he has only committed to swimming full-time the past two years, his improvement curve is encouraging. His respective times for the 50/100/200 from Dec 2014 are 23.91, 51.88 and 1:51.8. I wouldn't bet against his bloodlines showing up down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post

Talked to one of my friends (former HS All-American swimmer) at a Cal football game in the early '80s. He'd gone to the polo game earlier that day and casually mentioned Bears had a freshman from Moraga who was the fastest player he'd ever seen.

Papas Arvidsson and Biondi just missed being Cal teammates, but their sons will be. Peter Rocca more wood...
    Last edited by BearDevil; 11-14-2016 at 04:21 AM.

#15 * Trenton Julian * => Bears

Guess Dave isn't quite done with this class, yet lol.
    -----

trentonjulian: Proud and excited to be committed to the Cal men's swim team! Go Bears!!

-----

The Final Holdout on our Top 20 List, #15 Trenton Julian, Chooses…

Trenton Julian, our #15 recruit in the high school class of 2017, has elected to spend the next four years of his life at the University of California, Berkeley. While both of his parents (Jeff Julian and Kristine Quance Julian, a 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist) swam at USC, Julian has forged his own path and will head north next fall to be a Golden Bear.

Just like that, Cal has secured 25% of our top 20 recruits, plus some fast-rising swimmers we’ll be watching over the next several years. The Golden Bears’ class of 2021 will feature: Bryce Mefford (#11), Daniel Carr (#16), Jackson Gabler, James Daugherty, Jarod Hatch, Nate Biondi, Ryan Hoffer (#1), Sean Grieshop (#2), and now Julian (#15).

Julian has been a butterflyer since he began swimming but has recently developed into a strong mid-distance freestyler as well. As a junior at Glendale High School last season, he won both the 200 free (1:36.21) and 100 fly (47.88) at 2016 CIF-Southern Section Division II Championships, narrowly mission the division records in each one.

You can see our interview with him here.

Julian swims year-round for Rose Bowl Aquatics. He competed at U.S. Olympic Trials in the 100/200m butterfly events, and has Winter Juniors cuts or better in the 100/200/400/500 free, 100/200 fly, and 200/400 IM. His best SCY times are:

• 100 fly – 47.88
    • 200 fly – 1:45.81
    • 100 free – 45.70
    • 200 free – 1:36.21
    • 500 free – 4:28.43
    • 200 IM – 1:48.71
    • 400 IM – 3:52.46

https://swimswam.com/final-holdout-t...ulian-chooses/

-----

True Blue Golden Bear
    OMG. I don't believe it. Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    https://swimswam.com/see-swimswams-t...017-committed/

Great haul so far for Durden. Had hoped for Julian and never dreamed Grieshop would go anywhere but UT, but neither are likely. Julian's parents both were All-Americans at 'SC and dad now on staff.
    Forgive me, Oski for quoting some idiot's dumb ass post.

Didn't realize his mom was Kristine Quance. If Boots' future kid ever becomes a condom, a half dozen people on our humble little board would be pissed. Biondi, Arvidsson, and CM's dad are cracking up. Durden is a gangster, "Nice family you have here, Salo. A shame if something were to happen to it".

--------

Jarod Hatch: Throwback to when I was a Stanford boy so my aunt and uncle continuously forced a Cal shirt onto me before my races
    ��:❌
    ��:✅

--------

Jarod Hatch: When your mom says if we don't beat Stanford next year, I'm not allowed to come home for Christmas ��❌��

--------

-----

Nitro Swimming Presents 10 Seniors Committing to D1 Programs

Sean Grieshop – University of Cal-Berkeley - Sean attends St. Dominic Savio Catholic High School. Sean is an Olympic Trials Finalist and Junior World Record Holder in the 400 IM. He placed 5th in that event at USA Olympic Trials, earning a spot on the USA National Team. Sean, who is also a Scholastic All-American, has also been on the USA Junior National Team.

• 1650/1500 free – 14:45.40/15:18.88
    • 500/400 free – 4:15.53/3:52.60
    • 400 IM – 3:44.30/4:14.00
    • 200 IM – 1:46.58/2:01.01
    • 200 free – 1:36.52/1:50.40
    • 200 breast – 1:58.85/2:19.66

https://swimswam.com/nitro-swimming-...g-d1-programs/

-----

--------

Jarod Hatch: Throwback to when I was a Stanford boy so my aunt and uncle continuously forced a Cal shirt onto me before my races

--------

Jarod Hatch: When your mom says if we don't beat Stanford next year, I'm not allowed to come home for Christmas ��❌��
    I love your aunt and uncle

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    I love your aunt and uncle
    Seconded!

Somehow don't reckon J-Rod will ever have to worry at all bout his mum not allowing him to come home for Christmas - at least as far as the chances of Durden's squad losing to Knapp's group is concerned...

--------

SantaClara Swim Club: Congratulations to these seven high school seniors who have committed to swim for their respective schools next year! We are proud of you!

--------

--------

When your mom says if we don't beat Stanford next year, I'm not allowed to come home for Christmas ��❌��

--------
    What an awesome mom

--------

Scottsdale Swim: Look who's in Sports Illustrated's Faces In The Crowd, Scottsdale Aquatic Club's Ryan Hoffer. Congrats Hoff!

--------

Don't forget to check out & cheer on several of our 2017 Bears commits who are competing at 2016 Winter Nattys, tonight (relays only) thru Sat
    -----

Sean Grieshop and Maxime Rooney Get Taste of the Top Podium Spot at Winter Nationals

Sean Grieshop and Maxime Rooney each took turns on the top step of the podium at the AT&T Winter National Championships Friday night, neither in any sort of upset fashion. After all, each entered as the top seed in their respective events, Grieshop in the men’s 400 IM and Rooney in the men’s 200 free.

But even so, a National championship is nothing to sneeze at.

“It’s been a dream of mine for a super long time to get my hand on the wall on any big national stage, and it finally came true,” Grieshop said after touching in 3:44.69, just off his lifetime best time of 3:44.30.

Grieshop swam from behind for much of the race before touching out Omar Pinzon and Nate Carr at the end of the breaststroke leg and then pulling away on the freestyle.

“My coach and I really try to train my fly and breast because those are probably my weakest strokes,” Grieshop said. “I knew I had to keep up with [the rest of the field], make sure I wasn’t too far behind going into the freestyle because freestyle definitely is one of my prime strokes, and it definitely helps on the end of the 400 IM.”

Grieshop’s profile has been steadily rising since finishing third in the 400 IM at the 2015 National Championships in San Antonio and then winning the World Junior title in that event a few weeks later. At the Olympic Trials this past summer, he set the world junior record in the 400 IM, clocking 4:14.00 in the event’s prelims. He then he finished fifth in the final behind the quartet of Chase Kalisz, Jay Litherland, Ryan Lochte and Gunnar Bentz.

Since then, Grieshop admits that he’s missed some time in training as he took four recruiting trips to colleges around the country before he settled on the California Golden Bears.

“While I was at Cal, I just knew that was my home,” he said. “It was great getting to bond with the team and see the coaches, and I love the energy that they had. We went to the beach, and I’m a huge surfer!”

But before he heads to the Bay Area for freshman year, Grieshop has designs on doing a lot of training. He won’t rest much for any short course meet, as the only target is next summer’s World Championship Trials in Indianapolis.

Even though the three Bulldogs will all be back to contend for spots on the World Championship team this summer in the 400 IM, Grieshop has designs on leaping at least two: he wants a spot on that team. And he has the confidence that come June, he will be ready to make that leap.

“Definitely winning this 400 IM here helps, just knowing that I have this under my belt,” he said. Getting back into training, a more consistent training schedule and being with a team that really helps me and pushes me.”

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...championships/

-----

-----