Thread: QB position battle - Chronicle Weighs in (Booth?)

QB position battle - Chronicle Weighs in (Booth?)

Not sure if this is a Booth (forgive me if it is). I saw this article buried on SF Gate http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/...ck-8409357.php. There is nothing terribly enlightening or new about the article. I would, however, think it more likely that Max Gilliam will blueshirt and that Vic Viramontes will see playing time this year as the change of pace QB (mostly running the ball like Luke did his frosh season). Sonny has said that he is intrigued by Vic. He could be a real weapon in short yardage situations.
    A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.

True Blue Golden Bear heartofthebear's Avatar
    Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    After viewing the spring game video, I was very impressed with all our QBs.
    I was especially impressed with Kline and I'm wondering why he didn't get more love from the staff following that game.
    I don't see Webb performing any better than that.

Heart, indeed, all QBs did well, ultimately. Kline looked exceptional. As I had said before, from reports we were supplied, his other outings in Spring ball were damn good as well. The Spring Game was not an aberration...

The team had a chance to get Web, a QB with not only more experience, but particular experience with our offense. Going with a grad transfer QB is a big decision. Two on the roster, just doesn't make sense.

I get the impression the staff was upfront with him; thus the decision to seek grad school opportunities elsewhere. While seemingly not official, it does look like he will land at Fresno State. A few weeks back one of their boards stated that he had been throwing with their receivers, and the feedback was very good. A recent thread regarding their first game in Nebraska has some discussion on Kline:

http://www.scout.com/college/fresno-...raska-game-off
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Webb has had much more experience and success (both on the field and general and in our type of offense in particular) than Kline.
    A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.

All the QBs looked exceptional in the Spring Game in large part because they played a defense made up primarily of walk ons. Kline had a very up and down Spring in practices. He continued to have times where he threw the ball too often to the defense and his accuracy left him. That said, he had times when he looked great. I believe Dykes was up front with him that his chances to start were not good. Dykes and Spavital want someone who is more consistent, less interception prone and who either has no track record in college football or a good one. I'll be rooting for Kline at Fresno State and will also be confident that his departure allows us to start one of two QBs who will clearly be better for the 2016 Cal team.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    All the QBs looked exceptional in the Spring Game in large part because they played a defense made up primarily of walk ons. Kline had a very up and down Spring in practices. He continued to have times where he threw the ball too often to the defense and his accuracy left him. That said, he had times when he looked great. I believe Dykes was up front with him that his chances to start were not good. Dykes and Spavital want someone who is more consistent, less interception prone and who either has no track record in college football or a good one. I'll be rooting for Kline at Fresno State and will also be confident that his departure allows us to start one of two QBs who will clearly be better for the 2016 Cal team.
    From the Spring stats that I had compiled and shared here for discussion, Kline most often had the best completion percentages when it mattered (7s and 11s). He was generally one or two in that metric when that data was made public, very few picks, possibly the fewest, and was quite savvy in the pocket in sack avoidance and actually getting positive yards when tucking the ball...

I have it on good authority that after the Spring game Kline was informed that he had worked himself in a very advantageous position for this Fall. I'll go into no more details. What we hear publicly is what we are supposed to hear, for various reasons. Once we landed Webb, indeed, the staff was once again direct with Kline. Things had changed. You don't go with two QB grad transfers, especially with young talent in the wings. Kudos to SD and JS for the true opportunity to compete, the frankness, and thereafter for helping the young man find a place for that one last shot; speaking very favorably of him.
    Last edited by Cal89; 07-25-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Got to go
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Kline is gone. Can we finally put him in the past? He moved on...so should we.

Indeed. Please...

The article says pretty much what I and some other BI members have been saying for a while now.

- Webb is talented and a lock to start
    - Chase Forest is a "game manager" type of quarterback. That's the exact phrase I've used for Chase since his first game last year.
    - Vic is likely to find another position other than QB at Cal.

We are very fortunate to have Webb. Once it was clear he was strongly considering us, with some level of assurance that it would be his job to lose, a no-brainer to not come here.

The Buffs had the worst pass protection in the Pac-12 in 2015 (sacks per attempted pass), and the worst rushing attack in Pac-12 games, averaging just 2.55 yards/carry, good for 123rd in FBS. If I had one season remaining to have a shot at the NFL, those are two very bothersome metrics to ponder. Factor-in Stovall and Robertson, the returning offensive line, our top 3 RBs are back... Webb is well-positioned, as are we, to make some noise.