Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trevin Knell Commits!

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniaBear View Post
    You take a year or two off at this age and your skills development suffer - far outweighing physical development.
    I'll disagree with that.
    My personal experience is that I was a much better basketball player (stronger and more confident) at 21 than at 18.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    I'll disagree with that.
    My personal experience is that I was a much better basketball player (stronger and more confident) at 21 than at 18.
    I don't think that is the same thing as maintaining skills needed to compete against top athletes at a high level.
    Last edited by Civil Bear; 10-06-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    I'll disagree with that.
    Me too. Albeit, I was not good enough to make my high school varsity team or do anything better than play pick up during college.

But yeah - my pick up game improved during those years - particularly in the areas of 'craftiness' and 'moxie'.

Despite his wishes to do missionary work in Africa, perhaps he could to a turn in Spain, France, Greece, Argentina or Brazil where there is some pretty good bball competition.

P.S. having spent some time in Africa, the 'pick up' scene is pretty sad. Despite some incredible athletics from the competition, the skill set allows even a short, pudgy guy with small hands to dominate.

And no, my skills did not improve in Africa and prepare me for P12 competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    I don't think that is the same thing as maintaining skills needed to compete against top athletes at a high level.
    We can agree to to disagree. That's fine.
    I don't think he'd be a worse basketball player in 2 years even if he never touched the ball.
    If you're an athlete, and if you have some sports smarts, it's built in.
    As the body matures, he'll be stronger.
    As he ages, he'll also gain confidence simply from playing against "younger" guys. The "bright lights" affect less...
    Shawn Bradley went on a mission, and there are many others.
    And, funny, seems to me guys on this board (and nationally) are often complaining about playing against BYU because they have seniors who can be 24 years old playing against teenagers, and it's "not fair".
    Well, I believe Martin when he says that Trevin will come back a "grown man gunslinger".

Quote Originally Posted by BeachedBear View Post
    Me too. Albeit, I was not good enough to make my high school varsity team or do anything better than play pick up during college.

But yeah - my pick up game improved during those years - particularly in the areas of 'craftiness' and 'moxie'.

Despite his wishes to do missionary work in Africa, perhaps he could to a turn in Spain, France, Greece, Argentina or Brazil where there is some pretty good bball competition.

P.S. having spent some time in Africa, the 'pick up' scene is pretty sad. Despite some incredible athletics from the competition, the skill set allows even a short, pudgy guy with small hands to dominate.

An amusing thought: If he did he mission in Israel, there'd be a lot of quality pick-up games - a lot of enthusiasm for basketball there.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachedBear View Post

The variable you guys are missing is if you decreased your amount of training and top flight competition over that time. Of course with all things being equal your play will improve as you get stronger and more mature. The question is if stepping away from the game for two years will set him back as a frosh.
    I would imagine over time he will make up for it and eventually be a better college player at some point.

A lot depends on where he does his mission as to how well he can work on his conditioning and game.

The variable you guys are missing is if you decreased your amount of training and top flight competition over that time. Of course with all things being equal your play will improve as you get stronger and more mature. The question is if stepping away from the game for two years will set him back as a frosh.
    I would imagine over time he will make up for it and eventually be a better college player at some point.
    FWIW Civil - I was joking around. I can honestly say with all confidence that stepping away from the game for a mission will make his impact as a Freshman less than if he stepped right in. But - and I think we are in agreement - the experience, age and maturity may put him higher on the development curve over his college career. My uneducated guess is that he will regain his mojo by his second year back in college ball.

Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    A lot depends on where he does his mission as to how well he can work on his conditioning and game.
    I recommend that he not ride a bicycle around, rather walk and carry a heavy backpack on both shoulders. It will build up his muscles.
    Best shooting I ever did was after 3 months of this all around Europe.
    I couldn't figure out what it was, until my muscles faded, as did my shot.

Okay, I accept your posit. But I'd gladly
    Wait 2 years and Sink 1 year
    in order to get
    3 much better years after that.

BYU's been bringing in mission kids for years that are bigger, stronger and more mature and the layoff just isn't much of a drawback.

Without getting these types of players on a regular basis in multiple sports, I don't think they'd have anywhere near the level of success they've had.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    BYU's been bringing in mission kids for years that are bigger, stronger and more mature and the layoff just isn't much of a drawback.

Without getting these types of players on a regular basis in multiple sports, I don't think they'd have anywhere near the level of success they've had.
    Look at TJ Haws of BYU. He's a freshman this year after a 2 year mission (in France), a 6-4 shooting guard, second leading scorer on the team at 13.9 ppg, and scored 17 points in the win at Gonzaga last Saturday. The Cougars don't win that game if Haws isn't playing like he is bigger, stronger, and more mature than he would have been two years ago, if he was playing like a guy in his first year out of HS instead of a more mature player.

I watched Haws play on January 5 against St. Mary's, and yes, I have no doubt that he has improved since then, but you expect that from freshmen (except a lot of freshman are hitting the wall in late February, Haws doesn't seem to be). Was he worse in November than he would have been had he been playing in November 2014? Maybe, but I seriously doubt there is any way Haws would have been as good in late February of 2015 if he played right away as he is now with the layoff. Overall, rather than a set back his freshman year, I think he is better his freshman year for being two years older.

This is one case, it doesn't guarantee results for anyone else. Watching Haws, however, I see benefit, not detriment, from having a freshman come off a 2 year mission, especially if he is going to stay 4 years. Yes, I'd rather have Trevin in fall of 2017 because the team could use his outside shooting, but that's not when Trevin is going to school, and I'm not worried about him having a set back as a freshman in 19-20.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post

Totally agree with you.

All the talk of him going to Africa and he ends up going to Uruguay. He'll be residing in the capital of the country, excellent. Hey beautiful and historical city