Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 -other Olympic sport commitments (non swim):

True Blue Golden Bear

2017-Olympic sport commitments (non swim):

Andrea Li (Illinois)- sister was AA at UCLA 2008-12, who was an alternate on the 2012 team Olympic team. Parents both were on China's Olympic team in 1984 where each won a medal. So she has pretty good lineage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLgwK9GBUDz/

Gabby Perea is also from the same club as Andrea

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLg8uD0ALL3/

Sorry was unsuccessful in trying to post the instagrams directly to this page!
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 10-17-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: shorten title

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Andrea Li (Illinois)- sister was AA at UCLA 2008-12, who was an alternate on the 2012 team Olympic team. Parents both were on China's Olympic team in 1984 where each won a medal. So she has pretty good lineage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLgwK9GBUDz/

Gabby Perea is also from the same club as Andrea

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLg8uD0ALL3/

Sorry was unsuccessful in trying to post the instagrams directly to this page!
    Thanks for bringing these to our attention, OBear073akaSMFan. Just wanted to first point out that these gymnasts are likely c/o 2020 commits, as they are both freshmen in high school. With no gymnastics at the high school level, college coaches are allowed to contact gymnasts much earlier than they can in swimming, track, etc.

Second, Gabby Perea is one of the top U.S. junior elite gymnasts (placing top 3 in AA at last summer's national championships). She won't be able to compete in senior competitions until she turns 16, but I would not be surprised to see her contend for the 2018 or 2019 world championship teams before trying out for the 2020 Olympics. Her difficulty is already senior/international-level in UB and BB.

Third, Andrea Li's sister, Anna Li, was a standout on the U.S. National Team and invented several UB moves that bear her name. She is a bit unusual in that she went back to elite gymnastics after competing in college (I can think of a couple other UCLA gymnasts that did this, but it is otherwise rare in a sport dominated by high schoolers.) Andrea is on the U.S. Junior Olympic National Team.

The reason to point this out is because elite gymnastics (like you see on TV for Olympics/World Championships) has uncapped difficulty levels, meaning you'll see much riskier moves and many more injuries (unfortunately). That's why most women gymnasts that compete in elite only do so for a limited number of years. College gymnastics is the same as Junior Olympics --- capped at a 10.0 score. (Note that college men's gymnastics follows the elite code, however.)

As an example, the most difficult vault you'll see in college/JO gymnastics is a Full Twisting Yurchenko, which I believe carries a 5.0 DD in the elite code (and many elite gymnasts are doing vaults that carry a 6.3 DD; add the max 10.0 execution score, and you get the scores in the teens that you see on TV). There's really no need to do a more difficult vault in college, because it won't score any higher than the easier vault. Toni-Ann Williams had to learn a 1.5 Twisting Yurchenko (5.3 DD) this past year to be competitive at world competitions (and she did well at the Olympics --- naturally raising the profile of the Cal program.)

College gymnastics emphasizes artistry/choreography and execution over difficulty. A lot of formerly elite gymnasts go back to JO/Level 10 to regain their health and prepare for college, instead of chasing the (now) 4-5 spots available on the Olympic team. It's a tough sport. I'll certainly be interested to follow the careers of Andrea and Gabby over the next few years; Go Bears!

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbear View Post
    Thanks for bringing these to our attention, OBear073akaSMFan. Just wanted to first point out that these gymnasts are likely c/o 2020 commits, as they are both freshmen in high school. With no gymnastics at the high school level, college coaches are allowed to contact gymnasts much earlier than they can in swimming, track, etc.

Second, Gabby Perea is one of the top U.S. junior elite gymnasts (placing top 3 in AA at last summer's national championships). She won't be able to compete in senior competitions until she turns 16, but I would not be surprised to see her contend for the 2018 or 2019 world championship teams before trying out for the 2020 Olympics. Her difficulty is already senior/international-level in UB and BB.
    !
    BeaverBear, you amaze me with your detail knowledge of not only swimming but now Gymnastics. When you can throw out a "Full Twisting Yurchenko" I have to bow to you. I followed the Men's program while in college but just as a spectator. I am surprise that the Cal has already posted these verbals on their twitter account, even though they are only freshmen in high school. A know one of the girls want to go into engineering, so she couldn't pick a better one than Cal. Hopefully they will keep their commitment until they do actually signed their LOI but a lot can happen in 4 years! I think you also see this in SB where coaches are offering while they are freshmen in HS (i.e.Jolene Henderson) but Diane doesn't usually tweet it out.
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 10-17-2016 at 08:19 AM.

True Blue Golden Bear

Some legit 2017 gymnastic recruits

Alma Kuc to California 2017-2018
    Kuc from All Olympia, Cal. competed for Poland at the European Championships in 2014 as well as the Gymnastics Legends International meet. Watch her floor routine from Europeans here.

Kyana George to California 2017-2018
    George is a level 10 from Metroplex, Texas. She finished third all-around at her state meet last season, placed first on vault and floor at regionals, and came third all-around at JOs.

Maleah Pearson to California 2017-2018
    Minnesota

http://www.flogymnastics.com/article...er-top-commits

True Blue Golden Bear

XC just in time for Halloween Cal gets Annie Boos from Claremont HS

She joins Brie Oakley the Colorado recruit. Annie was 7th in the Cal State meet 1600 4:52.89. Her best times from last year 800 2:14.54. 1600 4:48.95, and 3200 10:54.52.

"Very happy to announce that I have verbally committed to UC Berkeley where I will continue my academic and athletic career #GoBears"

True Blue Golden Bear

Another XC & Track recruit from Monte Vista (Danville)

Meredith Corda is one of the top HS'ers from the NCS. She made in the Cal State last year in the 1600 but didn't advance to the finals. Best times 2:18.85, 1600 4:49.99 and 3200 10:45.57. She has been targeted since her Soph year.

So happy and excited to announce that I have committed to continue my academic and athletic careers at UC Berkeley!!!
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 11-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear

local runner from Miramonte has verbal to Cal

Hannah Fishlow XC & Track runner from Miramonte HS has committed to Cal. Best times last spring 800 2:15.24 and 1600 4:54.88.

Excited to say I've verbally committed to Cal to continue my academic and athletic career!

Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 11-09-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Beach Volleyball

-----

encorevbc: Congrats to Encore athlete @caroline.schafer2 on #nlisigningday @calbeachvolleyball #Encore18Navy #encoreproud #encorefam #encorestrong #D1 #gobears ��

-----

Cal Beach Volleyball: A big welcome to Alexia Inman to the #CalFamily! Alexia signed her National Letter of Intent today to join the Bears! #CalBeachVball

-----

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Alma Kuc to California 2017-2018
    Kuc from All Olympia, Cal. competed for Poland at the European Championships in 2014 as well as the Gymnastics Legends International meet. Watch her floor routine from Europeans here.

Kyana George to California 2017-2018
    George is a level 10 from Metroplex, Texas. She finished third all-around at her state meet last season, placed first on vault and floor at regionals, and came third all-around at JOs.

Maleah Pearson to California 2017-2018
    Minnesota
    Cal did announce four new gymnasts but no Maleah Person on the list. Kyana George, Alma Kuc, Victoria Salem and Nina Schank signed National Letters of Intent to join the Golden Bear gymnastics program next year. http://www.calbears.com/news/2016/11...aspx?path=wgym

Another track signee - Hammer Thrower Camryn Rogers(PB 59.73), whose high school coach is former Bear Garrett Collier.

True Blue Golden Bear
    thanks for adding. She is a Canadian.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMnrTWOAuLY/

True Blue Golden Bear

A Pole vaulter has signed.

Kate Thomas from Santa Margarita HS, Ca has been signed. Best vault is 13'. She was 5th in last year's Cal state meet.

True Blue Golden Bear

XC & T&F recruits

Officially 5 TF &XC recruits signed during the early signing periond.

Top Row (L-R): Brie Oakley, Camryn Rogers; Bottom Row (L-R): Kate Thomas, Annie Boos, Meredith Corda

http://www.calbears.com/news/2016/12...s-to-nlis.aspx

True Blue Golden Bear

New XC & Track recruit

Niki Iyer from Harker HS, San Jose. She was 3rd in the Div 4 CCS 'ship but doesn't look like she didn't go to the recently XC state 'ship. Best track times 1600 4:58.32, 3200 10:24.39. At 2016 Calif State outdoor championship she was 3rd in the 3200 and 2015 she came in #17 at state.

niki_iyerI'm so excited, humbled, and blessed to announce that I will be furthering my academic and athletic careers at the University of California, Berkeley!!! Go Bears ��
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 12-11-2016 at 10:29 AM.

True Blue Golden Bear

New commitment SP/Disc

IFFY Joyner from Pittsburgh HS. Best of 188.1 & 52.75 and made Cal state meet in both events. Also played football at pittsburgh hs. Perhaps a walk-on in football?

"Congrats c/o 2017 DE Iffy Joyner for his commitment to Cal Track & Field. Iffy will be a thrower for the Golden Bears "