Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 180

Thread: Recruiting for 2017

  1. #1
    Real Bear
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In the land of peach blossoms
    Posts
    2,209

    Recruiting for 2017

    We have Baker, Harris-Dyson and 2019-Knell.
    Wooten is still a possibility, but not likely.
    Is Tillman still an option?
    I thought I saw that we are showing interest in at leat one juco.
    We have 4 open spots.
    Do we go grad transfer route?
    Hope that some stud falls in our lap like Moore?
    Or is there an actual plan?

  2. #2
    Of course there is a plan. Coaches do not publish or advertise recruiting plans to the general public, or Cal alums. Please.

  3. #3
    Real Bear
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In the land of peach blossoms
    Posts
    2,209
    Ok. So I deserve that please. Sorry. My wife always calls me a drama queen. Of course there is a plan. What I should have asked what the plan is. Because, while the plan is never revealed, some hints are often put out there. And we have to be only like, plan D at this point. So what do you think the plan is?

  4. #4
    Going to be hard to get 4 good players eligible for 2017-18 in the Spring. As of now Cal doesn't have a SF for next season. They also need a backup PF and maybe a center.

  5. #5
    Real Bear BeachedBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Havering at Manny's
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Going to be hard to get 4 good players eligible for 2017-18 in the Spring. As of now Cal doesn't have a SF for next season. They also need a backup PF and maybe a center.
    And an offensive minded coach.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Going to be hard to get 4 good players eligible for 2017-18 in the Spring. As of now Cal doesn't have a SF for next season. They also need a backup PF and maybe a center.
    How about Harris-Dyson at SF? He's as big as Crabbe was coming in. But we'll still need a backup SF if Davis doesn't develop perimeter skills.
    .

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    How about Harris-Dyson at SF? He's as big as Crabbe was coming in. But we'll still need a backup SF if Davis doesn't develop perimeter skills.
    .
    Harris-Dyson is about 6'5" in shoes and will likely play both wing spots but I'd like to work him in off the bench instead of relying on him to start as a freshman. Baker will likely start at the 2 and I'd want more of a true wing at the 3. Maybe Harris-Dyson starts as a freshman, but I'm hoping we can get a grad transfer or elite JC guy (easier said than done on both counts).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    We have Baker, Harris-Dyson and 2019-Knell.
    Wooten is still a possibility, but not likely.
    Is Tillman still an option?
    I thought I saw that we are showing interest in at leat one juco.
    We have 4 open spots.
    Do we go grad transfer route?
    Hope that some stud falls in our lap like Moore?
    Or is there an actual plan?
    Tillman is supposedly visiting at the end of the month.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Tillman is supposedly visiting at the end of the month.
    Tillman is being billed as a SF, but he's got an interesting body-type that doesn't really lend itself to that position. Some consider him a small PF, and I can't really disagree with that. He'd actually fit in well, as he has the skill-level to play some 3 on offense or a small-ball face up PF.

    Sueing is more of a true wing. Can slide over to the 2 a bit, but more of a 3.

    Henry Caruso, a Serra High product, is going to grad transfer, and he'd be an obvious target. He had a nice career at Princeton and brings some toughness and athleticism and plays bigger than his 6'4" listed height (grabbed 6.2 rebs in about 28 mpg in 2015-16). Not to mention he put up better than 40% on 3 in his career.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 01-17-2017 at 03:47 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Tillman is being billed as a SF, but he's got an interesting body-type that doesn't really lend itself to that position. Some consider him a small PF, and I can't really disagree with that. He'd actually fit in well, as he has the skill-level to play some 3 on offense or a small-ball face up PF.

    Sueing is more of a true wing. Can slide over to the 2 a bit, but more of a 3.

    Henry Caruso, a Serra High product, is going to grad transfer, and he'd be an obvious target. He had a nice career at Princeton and brings some toughness and athleticism and plays bigger than his 6'4" listed height (grabbed 6.2 rebs in about 28 mpg in 2015-16). Not to mention he put up better than 40% on 3 in his career.
    Grant Shephard is the only post target I've seen mentioned. Obvious need there -- more so to have some experience for when Lee, Rooks, and Okoroh depart, but a stretch 4 option and/or some interior offense would of course be great to find for next season too.

    I wonder about point guard in 17/18 as well. Backups to Charlie consist of redshirt jr Chauca, jr Coleman, and fr Baker. Depending how Cal's likely 4 remaining spots get filled, could see bringing in a JC pg (or more of a combo than Coleman). Not ideal to play Moore 35 mpg and would be good to have a defensive option with size.
    Last edited by smokeyrover; 01-18-2017 at 07:48 AM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Tillman is being billed as a SF, but he's got an interesting body-type that doesn't really lend itself to that position. Some consider him a small PF, and I can't really disagree with that. He'd actually fit in well, as he has the skill-level to play some 3 on offense or a small-ball face up PF.

    Sueing is more of a true wing. Can slide over to the 2 a bit, but more of a 3.

    Henry Caruso, a Serra High product, is going to grad transfer, and he'd be an obvious target. He had a nice career at Princeton and brings some toughness and athleticism and plays bigger than his 6'4" listed height (grabbed 6.2 rebs in about 28 mpg in 2015-16). Not to mention he put up better than 40% on 3 in his career.
    Tillman looks like a PF to me too but I agree he is skilled enough to play some 3 and looks like he has good toughness on the boards and defense as well. Utah has been considered the favorite for him and they are after Sueing as well. Cal needs all three of these guys and more.

  12. #12
    I agree on the 2 high schoolers but am only ok with taking Caruso because he's a 1 year commitment. If he was more than that I'd say no thanks.

  13. #13
    Bumping this up during the slow week. So to fill out the 2017 class, our current recruiting targets that I'm aware of are:

    Backcourt:
    Caruso 6'4 - Princeton Grad Transfer

    Frontcourt:
    Donnie Tillman 6'7
    Justice Sueing 6'7
    Grant Shephard 6'8

    Anyone know of other prospects we're pursuing?

  14. #14
    no more 5*... Was Brown and Rabb like winning the PowerBall?

    whats going on with Alfred Hollins? he's a 4* and plays in sf. hope cm bring him in...it would look good if cal can bring in local talent.
    Last edited by GoCalBears; 01-24-2017 at 11:23 PM.

  15. #15
    I know Hollins is from SF but I believe he is playing at Hillcrest Academy in Arizona this season...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •