Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Recruiting for 2017

Real Bear
    I hope that we have a few diamonds in the rough here. Or at least guys who will develop into consistent contributors.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    I'm assuming it's a scholarship unless otherwise noted. I've never heard of him. He's listed as a 6'5" SG out of Michigan. Other reported offers were Niagara and UMass-Lowell.
    Ranked like the 20th senior in the state of Michigan so at least he's known in state, ha.

There was also some bad publicity some years back about NBA rookies getting in trouble, and that led to the NBA fantasy that a year in "college" will mature them...

So do we have 2 open/available scholarships now? I'm guessing we're probably done recruiting-wise for the year and that we'll roll the scholarships over to next year?

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    So do we have 2 open/available scholarships now? I'm guessing we're probably done recruiting-wise for the year and that we'll roll the scholarships over to next year?
    In terms of freshmen, I think yes. Maybe a transfer or two...

Total speculation, but...Darius McNeill (3 star SG) just requested his release from Iowa State. He's from Houston, so there might be a Chris Walker connection there...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankCohen View Post
    Total speculation, but...Darius McNeill (3 star SG) just requested his release from Iowa State.
    Counting players we have now our 2018-19 roster (scholarship players) will include 6 guards (5 if Chauca leaves) and 3 forwards. I think we could use a few bigs more than another 3-star guard.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Counting players we have now our 2018-19 roster (scholarship players) will include 6 guards (5 if Chauca leaves) and 3 forwards. I think we could use a few bigs more than another 3-star guard.
    Agreed in theory, and don't know if the staff will even pursue. However, his offer list is better than anyone else in our '17 class and he could play the 1 and 2. Just based off talent alone, he could start for us next season.

Real Bear
    I am in a similar place as I was back when the original monster class thread was just a baby. I knew then that Aaron Gordon was not coming to Cal, but I just couldn't let it go in my mind. I also know that there was a better chance of Gordon playing for Monty than there is of MJ Walker coming here, but as long as he is on lists, my mind can't quite believe that there is no chance. Thankfully, he will be announcing tomorrow. Unfortunately, he might go to UCLA. ugh. Please, someone knock some sense into me.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Well if Jones is running a true Louisville scheme, it is guard/wing up-tempo oriented, and your bigs need to be athletic guys who can run the court (think guys like Kuzma, as opposed to shooters like Markkanean). And at Cal they also need to have good grades. So it is a matter of fit.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Well if Jones is running a true Louisville scheme, it is guard/wing up-tempo oriented, and your bigs need to be athletic guys who can run the court (think guys like Kuzma, as opposed to shooters like Markkanean). And at Cal they also need to have good grades. So it is a matter of fit.
    Pitino's Louisville teams definitely hang their hat on the defensive approach and his teams have always been elite defensively. I love the style of play but I don't think we have the personnel just yet to run it. Louisville always has tall, long, athletic, big wingspan guys (even the guards) to make it difficult to make entry passes, throw cross court passes and run pick and rolls. The constant switching is and pressing is a big part too. But that requires a deep bench and a lot of substitutions. That's not a luxury we will have next year. That said, I think we'll love the approach once we get the right bodies to execute it.

By the way, here's Louisville's national rankings in KemPom's defensive efficiency for the last 5 years (with Cal in parentheses):

2013: #1 (#38)
    2014: #4 (#75)
    2015: #5 (#76)
    2016: #2 (#19)
    2017: #8 (#14)
    Last edited by TheSouseFamily; 05-23-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    Pitino's Louisville teams definitely hang their hat on the defensive approach and his teams have always been elite defensively. I love the style of play but I don't think we have the personnel just yet to run it. Louisville always has tall, long, athletic, big wingspan guys (even the guards) to make it difficult to make entry passes, throw cross court passes and run pick and rolls. The constant switching is and pressing is a big part too. But that requires a deep bench and a lot of substitutions. That's not a luxury we will have next year. That said, I think we'll love the approach once we get the right bodies to execute it.

By the way, here's Louisville's national rankings in KemPom's defensive efficiency for the last 5 years:

2013: #1
    2014: #4
    2015: #5
    2016: #2
    2017: #8
    style is pitino's.
    performance is the player's.
    he has better players.

PS: don't you mean IF we get?

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    style is pitino's.
    performance is the player's.
    he has better players.

PS: don't you mean IF we get?
    I'm with you, CT. The system requires a certain type of player that we don't currently have (and lots of them). Wyking's success will hinge on his ability to recruit that type of player. But coaching still matters and Pitino isn't in the Hall of Fame for being a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Markannen is a good athlete, not just a shooter. It's a big part of the reason he's a projected lottery pick.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 05-23-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Real Bear
    Is 2017 recruiting over? I would wager it is.