Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by BearChemist View Post
    The SDSU loss is not pretty in hindsight. RPI falls to #109 as of today.
    Without Bird though.

We have been about third in attendance in the pa until the fucla resurgence

Quote Originally Posted by BearChemist View Post
    SJ State beat them the other night. 76-71.

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    Since Cal has not lost a head basketball coach to another school ever, what do you base you statement on?
    My point is the perception of the program by many around college basketball is that Cal is not a final destination, but a decent job in a power conference. One where if you can have success it could lead to a bigger (better?) job. Now Cal has not enjoyed enough success for other programs to seriously consider Cal's hoops coach for a bigger job. Braun did get some feelers early on, but nothing materialized. Guys like Kuchen and Campanelli were fired. Montgomery was at the end of his career and retired. Martin though has the look of a coach that could get pursued by others. He is from the Midwest and is doing a very good job at Cal so far.

In the P-12 Arizona, UCLA and now Oregon all qualify as destination jobs IMO. Every other job has some factor that keeps it from becoming a destination job. Ie salary, facilities, history, attendance or all of these. Cal could become a destination job with better pay, better practice facilities and tournament success which leads to improved recruiting. Landing an occasional star does not qualify as improved recruiting.

I fully expect that after next year, Cal will have put 3 consecutive 1st round picks into the NBA (Brown, Rabb, Lee).

True, Lee is a transfer, but he will be uniquely positioned to succeed next year, something he may not have been at UK.

Gotta like that in terms of effect on recruiting.

Real Bear
    We have two or three more spots for next year and names that have been batted around are:
    Olivier Sarr- French big man
    Mark Smith- under the radar midwestern guard
    Grant Shepard- Canadian forward
    Henry Caruso- grad transfer from Princeton.

I don't know if there are any others out there, but we definitely need big men. Who are the priorities? What's the strategy?

I would love to see Sarr, Shepherd and Caruso added. This would help balance the classes a bit.

At the same time, I selfishly hope that there are really only two spots left because Rabb stays. With this scenario, I think you get Sarr and Shepherd.

I will speculate no further, despite other possible scenarios.

Biggest area of need is bigs - across the board - for 2018!! We could use FOUR of them, 2 at each position.

Another PF for next year would be great - someone who can backup Lee. Who is that currently? Domingo. He's gone next year.

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    Since Cal has not lost a head basketball coach to another school ever, what do you base you statement on?
    Yikes.
    Does that get listed under the 'Good News' column? Or the 'Bad News' column?

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Biggest area of need is bigs - across the board - for 2018!! We could use FOUR of them, 2 at each position.

Another PF for next year would be great - someone who can backup Lee. Who is that currently? Domingo. He's gone next year.
    It would be so cool to see Rabb and Lee out there together. We could only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by BearChemist
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    Without Bird though.
    And I'm sure the Committee will be taking that point into consideration come Selection Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    It would be so cool to see Rabb and Lee out there together. We could only hope.
    Yeah, I'm right there with you.
    However, how do you actually run that rotation amongst the Four Bigs we will have?
    The thing I'd really want to see if an intra-squad scrimmage that has Rabb and K1 on one team vs Lee and K2 on the other team. How well do Rabb and Lee matchup vs each other. Interestingly, NOBODY has yet commented on that with any insight here (that I'm aware of).

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Yeah, I'm right there with you.
    However, how do you actually run that rotation amongst the Four Bigs we will have?
    The thing I'd really want to see if an intra-squad scrimmage that has Rabb and K1 on one team vs Lee and K2 on the other team. How well do Rabb and Lee matchup vs each other. Interestingly, NOBODY has yet commented on that with any insight here (that I'm aware of).
    Lee has said something along the lines of that the high-level high school game they had against each other was the most epic battle in his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    Lee has said something along the lines of that the high-level high school game they had against each other was the most epic battle in his experience.
    Thanks,
    But that was 4 years ago now.
    I wanna know how it goes today!

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    We have two or three more spots for next year and names that have been batted around are:
    Olivier Sarr- French big man
    Mark Smith- under the radar midwestern guard
    Grant Shepard- Canadian forward
    Henry Caruso- grad transfer from Princeton.

I don't know if there are any others out there, but we definitely need big men. Who are the priorities? What's the strategy?

I would love to see Sarr, Shepherd and Caruso added. This would help balance the classes a bit.
    5 or 6 freshmen and only 2 juniors isn't great class balance. Are there any JC targets to balance out the classes better? Bears are kind of an inverse Kentucky: on the grad school treadmill instead of the OAD treadmill. Doesn't seem wise and/or sustainable since there's a limited number of admissible grad students who can become rotation players, especially if the talent level rises.

Martin isn't going anywhere and that is a good thing.
    The EAST BAY is a great destination for an African American Coach
    The program is pointed in the absolute right direction and things are good.

Now then

A) If PURDUE opens then I would get worried. It is clear he has very good memories of the place and is beloved.
    B) I might also get a bit worried about Mizzu. Now Columbia is a FAR cry from East St Louis but he may have family.
    C) Illinois is not really much of a concern.

Here is the thing. Unless it is a total show, Martin stresses over and over "use basketball for yourself, do not let basketball use you." SEVERAL players have talked about how Martin steals time to talk about things beyond basketball with the kids. He takes a ton of time to do community service work (I don't follow other programs but I don't ever see stories about that out of, for example, the Enabler's program down in Westwood). There are literally maybe 5-6 schools in the country in the P5 where the above is valued and "true".

Could Martin bring that thing to a "destination" school? Sure....as long as it didn't get in the way of sweet sixteens, tournament invites, conference titles and "winning at all costs". No more "high character" one and dones like the chess champion - but rather scum like the Ball clan (I am sorry, the younger Ball's performance in that game was CRINGE worthy and I will root against those people for as long as I live). I neither see Martin wanting that nor feeling happy in such a place nor, I think, succeeding. Arguably he learned that at Tennessee. ANd note, the fans in knoxville make fans at places in 'destination" schools look like girlscouts. Do you realize that people are bitching about Miller after ONE loss to Oregon and an a failure to dominate Furd. You can listen to TUscon talk radio late at night in San Diego when the weather is right. It is HYSTERICAL.

No. Maybe whistling in the graveyard but I think Martin is here as long as we want him and keep him happy with the sort of raises he is earning. We are now guaranteed another 500 (or above) conference record. Until Montgomery back to back 500+ in Pac-12 were rare at Harmon.

Finally, I think so many of you have gotten royally spoiled watching the Warriors on Cable. Yes. They are a "once in a generation" offensive team that plays a wonderfully entertaining form of basketball. Learn to appreciate defense. What you saw on Wednesday was a clinic - one that if you learn the game a bit better would make you really appreciate Martin (and the Bears) a lot more.
    Last edited by socaltownie; 02-11-2017 at 08:52 AM.