Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: post-season

post-season

We're halfway through the conference season with 4 losses to nationally-ranked teams and 2 more (1 at home) to unranked teams. The second half won't be any easier with 4 more games against ranked teams. At this point I would consider finishing 8-10 in the conference, along with a good performance in the conference tournament, the minimum to put us on the NCAA bubble. Anything less and I'd expect NIT.

I don't think what we're doing now is likely to get us to the NCAA Tournament, so I'd like to see some adjustments which might (or might not) salvage this season but should pay dividends next season. Basically play just 2 of Kristine, Courtney, Penina, CJ, and Chen at the same time; play Mikayla only at wing, not guard; and play Mi'Cole, Jaelyn, and Mo significantly more minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    We're halfway through the conference season with 4 losses to nationally-ranked teams and 2 more (1 at home) to unranked teams. The second half won't be any easier with 4 more games against ranked teams. At this point I would consider finishing 8-10 in the conference, along with a good performance in the conference tournament, the minimum to put us on the NCAA bubble. Anything less and I'd expect NIT.
    2nd Round, FF, 2nd Round, 2nd Round, (under .500), WNIT

This wasn't a program that needed to be rebuilt. It was on strong footing, and this coach came in and took them to where they were supposed to be. And now just a full recruiting class later and it's falling back down to where it was when it was decided we needed new leadership ...

Quote Originally Posted by Islander670 View Post
    2nd Round, FF, 2nd Round, 2nd Round, (under .500), WNIT

This wasn't a program that needed to be rebuilt. It was on strong footing, and this coach came in and took them to where they were supposed to be. And now just a full recruiting class later and it's falling back down to where it was when it was decided we needed new leadership ...
    15-6; 3-6 in the toughest conference in the country. That's your interpretation of "falling back down"? Good grief. Two teams from our conference went to the Final Four last season. Could happen again this year. Excellent recruiting classes coming in the next two seasons. Give me a break with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    15-6; 3-6 in the toughest conference in the country. That's your interpretation of "falling back down"? Good grief. Two teams from our conference went to the Final Four last season. Could happen again this year. Excellent recruiting classes coming in the next two seasons. Give me a break with your assessment.
    I actually agree with the original poster. Given our schedule coming up and how we are playing (it ain't pretty), I highly doubt we make NCAA's. I really, really hope I am wrong. Pullman is a tough place to play, but if we can leave with a W tomorrow that will help. Next year is Cal's year with the class we have coming in.

SFCB72-you certainly like to rationalize mediocore performance. Last season-Cal finished an abysmal 4-14 in the Pac 12. I would call that falling back down from the Final Four appearance 5 years ago...This season our conference has five bonafide NCAA Tournament quality teams. The Bears should hope that they are selected to the WNIT so they can possibly win a couple of home games to prolong their season. It will provide Gottlieb & Co the opportunity to further develop their underachieving team. It appears obvious that the young Oregon group has claimed the sixth spot in league. They barely lost to Oregon State last night by 3 points...I can't watch the games live anymore-I record them on my DVR. I attended the Archbishop Mitty thumping of Saint Francis by 25 instead. It is a pleasure to watch the Monarchs perform under the guidance of HC Sue Phillips. GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    SFCB72-you certainly like to rationalize mediocore performance. Last season-Cal finished an abysmal 4-14 in the Pac 12. I would call that falling back down from the Final Four appearance 5 years ago...This season our conference has five bonafide NCAA Tournament quality teams. The Bears should hope that they are selected to the WNIT so they can possibly win a couple of home games to prolong their season. It will provide Gottlieb & Co the opportunity to further develop their underachieving team. It appears obvious that the young Oregon group has claimed the sixth spot in league. They barely lost to Oregon State last night by 3 points...I can't watch the games live anymore-I record them on my DVR. I attended the Archbishop Mitty thumping of Saint Francis by 25 instead. It is a pleasure to watch the Monarchs perform under the guidance of HC Sue Phillips. GO BEARS!
    Where's the mediocrity you accuse me of supporting? Things change in college basketball. Five years is a long time. The day you actually show up to Haas to watch a game in person is the day I give you any credibility. We've discussed ad nauseam the problems encountered last season...injuries, dismissal, short bench. That season also included wins over Louisville and UCLA. And we beat Arizona State at the Pac-12 WBB Tournament (biggest upset in tournament history...says the Pac-12) and took UCLA to overtime in the semis. I WAS there!! Will be again this year. Of our 6 losses this season, 4 are to those five teams you referenced. Miscues at the end of the game cost us the Oregon game and we have a chance for redemption against Utah at home.

Yes, that is any interpretation of falling back down. We were 17-1, now we're 3-6. It doesn't matter what the conference is. It's the same teams we played five years ago. If Cal were holding steady, we would be one of those top teams in the toughest conference in the country. Instead we've FALLEN DOWN to the middle of the pack. You can feel free to your opinion that we can turn things around this year or with next year's recruits, but the fact that we've "fallen back down" with a sub-.500 season followed by what at this point seems a WNIT season (and yes, even the experts already peg us as a WNIT team: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology) isn't an opined assessment.

What would you call not losing more than 5 Pac-12 games in the first four years to losing 14 last year and ALREADY 6 this year at the halfway point? That's not falling back down to where we were in the final JB year?

Miscues at the end of the game cost us the Oregon game and we have a chance for redemption against Utah at home.
    Yes, needing "a chance for redemption against Utah" is falling back down from a 32-4 season.

I don't think what we're doing now is likely to get us to the NCAA Tournament, so I'd like to see some adjustments which might (or might not) salvage this season but should pay dividends next season. Basically play just 2 of Kristine, Courtney, Penina, CJ, and Chen at the same time; play Mikayla only at wing, not guard; and play Mi'Cole, Jaelyn, and Mo significantly more minutes.[/QUOTE]

I agree on Mikayla. I've noticed that she has a good enough handle to dribble up court against minimal pressure. But after that she just hangs around on the perimeter not doing much of anything. I would also add that Penina needs to start shooting. She is passing up opportunities, and when that happens, we are going 4 on 5 - probably another consequence of leaning almost entirely on getting it into Kristine. Not much else we can do until and unless Lindsay junks this offensive system over the offseason. Every coach in the league has figured out how to stop this system.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    I would also add that Penina needs to start shooting.
    I'd like to see plays designed to get open threes for Asha, Mikayla, and Courtney as well as Penina. Perhaps also Mi'Cole, Jaelyn and/or Mo, all of whom have hit some threes when open. With defenses packed in the paint against Kristine this should be possible.

Also we might try Kristine at high post on occasion. She can hit the 15-footer so guarding her would leave a little room for our other players to slash to the basket (and let Kristine crash the offensive board).

Guys, I think you need to look at which programs are heading up and which programs are heading down in the pac -12 after this year. I have a feeling the big three at the top are in their prime this year. Look who loses who in seniors after this season. There will be a shuffle
    Last edited by GOLDEN; 01-28-2017 at 10:05 PM.

You're correct, Golden, that it appears that way. However, Oregon State lost 3 of their top 4 players and have re-loaded to remain at the top. Cal seems to be getting worse over the past two seasons...

It looks like we finished tied for 7th in the Pac-12 with Washington State. We have a better overall record but they beat us head-to-head. Which team will get the #7 seed in the Pac-12 Tournament? If we get to the second round we'll face Washington or Oregon State. I think the only way we make the NCAA Tournament is with 3 wins in the Pac-12 Tournament, so it's going to be an uphill battle.

Well according to the PAC 12 website Cal plays USC on Thursday at 11:30 am.
    I was hoping they were going to play in the later bracket since I am flying on on Thursday morning.
    I really don't want to change flight and hotel reservations so it looks like if I am lucky I will get
    to the game during the 4th quarter. D***!

If you play USC, I am not sure if Kristen Simon will be available for USC. She either hurt her knee/leg/foot in the game and was carried off the court.
    I hope it isnt serious.

Best wishes to Cal. Would like to see as many Pac12 teams in the tournament so runs by Cal and Oregon are probably needed.

Quote Originally Posted by iminoc View Post
    If you play USC, I am not sure if Kristen Simon will be available for USC. She either hurt her knee/leg/foot in the game and was carried off the court.
    I hope it isnt serious.

Best wishes to Cal. Would like to see as many Pac12 teams in the tournament so runs by Cal and Oregon are probably needed.
    Looks like we play USC thursday and if we win, play OSU friday. Bigshadetree, too bad for the early start thursday - bad break for you since the games time options are 11:30am, 2:00pm, 6:00pm and 8:30pm. But this is actually the best if we win because imagine playing the 8:30pm game and having to play OSU the next day.