Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 92

Thread: Justice Sueing to Cal

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Baker is known as a great shooter, so MD must have done a great job on him.

    Mater Dei with Bol is pretty loaded. They have about 4 or 5 likely high-majors. They wiped out Santa Monica Crossroads (Shareef O'Neal and Ira Lee), which played Sierra Canyon tough, in the previous game. Their next game against Chino Hills should be a barn burner.
    IIRC, MD's only loss this season was to Chino; and it was pretty clear. Does anyone see a difference in the upcoming game?; and, if so, what?

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    Welcome Justice!
    And nothing wrong with "Cal Berkeley"
    There's only ONE Cal, so "Berkeley" is not necessary to distinguish it. In spite of the administration's campaign to brand Cal as UC Berkeley, I will always know this fine institution since the 1950's as CAL.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by roqmoq View Post
    There's only ONE Cal, so "Berkeley" is not necessary to distinguish it. In spite of the administration's campaign to brand Cal as UC Berkeley, I will always know this fine institution since the 1950's as CAL.
    Maybe the rest of the UC campuses realize that Cal has a branding advantage by being able to simply say they are CAL (University of California, without additional designation), and so at the unified UC meetings, they are like, "yo!".

    But, hey, truth is truth.
    (Unless, apparently, you are a member of the current administration.)

  4. #34
    Europeans and Asians have never heard of Cal. They have heard of the University of Berkeley

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    Cannon, thx for the scouting report

    when you say Baker needs a lot of work on his shot... what do you mean by that?
    Jemarl had opportunities to hit some open threes -- not a lot, because of the way MD was guarding him as I mentioned above -- but he missed on all but one of the half dozen or so three-pointers he took. I don't know if the constant face-guarding and the double/triple teams threw him off his rhythm when he did get free, but his shots were off. Keep in mind, I am basing this on just one game. Perhaps others here have seen him on multiple occasions and have a better feel for his shooting ability.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    IIRC, MD's only loss this season was to Chino; and it was pretty clear. Does anyone see a difference in the upcoming game?; and, if so, what?
    Mater Dei lost by 11 at the Tarkanian Classic in Vegas in December. Like I mentioned, MD has added 7'2" Bol Bol, a 2018 5-star center prospect. He's also former Warriors center Manute Bol's son. He's obviously a huge difference maker for them.

    Here's some footage of the game, MD (Sueing) vs. Roosevelt (Baker). Interesting to note that Baker plays PG for Roosevelt, something he likely won't do for Cal. It's good experience for him, though.

    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 02-22-2017 at 02:01 PM.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonBlast View Post
    Jemarl had opportunities to hit some open threes -- not a lot, because of the way MD was guarding him as I mentioned above -- but he missed on all but one of the half dozen or so three-pointers he took. I don't know if the constant face-guarding and the double/triple teams threw him off his rhythm when he did get free, but his shots were off. Keep in mind, I am basing this on just one game. Perhaps others here have seen him on multiple occasions and have a better feel for his shooting ability.
    Cannon - Baker's #'s and his performances in both HS and AAU play have him evaluated as one of the top 3-4 deep perimeter jump shooters in the class of 2017. I suspect it as you suggest, that he lost his rhythm and was forced to shoot shots he didn't want which impacted his open threes. Personally, I believe he will be the best incoming freshman shooter Cal has recruited.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Interesting to note that Baker plays PG for Roosevelt, something he likely won't do for Cal. It's good experience for him, though.
    As roster is currently set for next year, I see Baker as a 2nd ball handler when Moore is on the floor, and primary when Moore on bench. Simply hoping Chauca can contribute at pg next year (I've missed hearing why Chauca has been out this season).

  9. #39
    broken arm/hand. Redshirting.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    Europeans and Asians have never heard of Cal. They have heard of the University of Berkeley
    So therefore we should all call it Berkeley, so the Europeans and Asians will know of it. If they think Berkeley connotes "smart" why don't they do the same and re learn it as Cal

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    So therefore we should all call it Berkeley, so the Europeans and Asians will know of it. If they think Berkeley connotes "smart" why don't they do the same and re learn it as Cal
    Because the academia side prefers Berkeley.

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    So therefore we should all call it Berkeley, so the Europeans and Asians will know of it. If they think Berkeley connotes "smart" why don't they do the same and re learn it as Cal
    Berkeley has enormous academic cachet the world over. Cal has ok sports cachet among Americans interested in west coast college athletics. Even in the US many, many east coasters, midwesterners and southerners do not know that Cal and Berkeley are the same university. If I am speaking of academics, it is always Berkeley. If I am speaking of sports it is Cal.

  13. #43
    Not another good athletic who can't shoot! Brown, Singer, Domingo, and everybody else not named Bird or Mullins. How about another Jerome Randle type?
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonBlast View Post
    Went to watch him play tonight against Eastvale Roosevelt. It was really hard to see his potential because Mater Dei is so balanced and they play within a pretty set offense. Very fluid player but hard to assess his potential off this one game with the way MD plays.

    He was going up against Jemarl Baker, but they weren't really matched up on each other. Baker had a Monarch face guarding him any where he went with a second or third defender cheating to him when he got the ball. Again, hard to assess his talent. No one else on his team could really create their own shot and keep the defense honest. Baker has a good first step off the dribble and can get in the lane to create his own shot. He's got a lot of work to do on his outside shooting.

  14. #44
    Your lack of knowledge is breathtaking. Baker is considered by scouts as one of the top pure shooters in the class. He's a consensus top-100 player nationally (some have him near the top-50) who is said to have a consistent range out to 22'. One poster saw him in one game and made some observations which, based on his performance over the year, appear to be an anomaly, and you run with it...

  15. #45
    Thanks for the link BBiLA. Got home from our game and turned it on for the end and ot. Sueing looked pretty good, could've shot his ft better though. Man those younger Ball bros are chuckers.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •