Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UConn v Cal Bears, Next 4 years

UConn v Cal Bears, Next 4 years

https://twitter.com/CarlAdamec

carl adamec ‏@CarlAdamec 56m56 minutes ago
    More
    -@UConnWBB and California-Berkeley (@CalWBBall) have four-game deal with first game in Connecticut during 2017-18 season.

Ademec is one of the beat writers for UConn

I guess there will be more details in the next few days.

Wow! Talk about stepping up the non-conference schedule. Great recruiting tool too.

Sweet!!!! Bears in my neck of the woods.
    ~The Bear will not quilt. The Bear will not dye.~

Wow I'm excited about seeing UConn game on our court... I did go to the UC Davis vs Uconn game few years back, but it's UC Davis...enough said.

So for those that follow the women's game question -

Why is UCONN SO dominant? At some point you "only" have 13 scholarships. Shouldn't someone be able to beat them? Or is the drop off so dramatic?

(and, again, honestly, what convinces a young woman who is good at the game to go to a basketball factory. UCONN is an "OK" institution but it isn't furd, notre dame (or cal). If you can't make THAT much money playing professionally (though I haven't followed WNBA economics that much) wouldn't the degree be a lot more important than helping Geno win 100 in a row (and make 10.9 MILLION a year)

Well, they've won 99 games in a row going into tonight's game versus #6 South Carolina. Their last loss was to Stanfurd in Palo Alto in 2014.
    Apparently, their Coach, Geno Auriemma, is perceived to be the "John Wooden" of women's basketball. Top players want to play for him. It was thought at the beginning of the season that this was the year UCONN would fall from the ranks of the unbeaten and create a wide open Final Four. We'll see.

A lot of people forget that if you're majoring in sports management or sociology or some specialized degree of your choosing which a lot of colleges offer now a Cal or Harvard degree really means nothing. Most of these kids are NOT going to school to be a doctor or rocket scientist.

A lot of them have sports majors to begin with and if I wanted to be a coach, or play professionally, or over seas, or in the WNBA, or work for a sports team, I likely would go to a school where the most successful athletes went so that I could have those connections. Networking has proven to get people just as far as a degree in 2017. Also, if you are offered the opportunity to study your passion under the best teacher of your craft (if you intend to play professionally) that can be really hard to pass up.

Jasmine Lister is a great example of that. I highly doubt she was hired mainly because she had a Vanderbilt degree. It likely had little to nothing to do with her getting a great job. In sports and entertainment it's about who you know.

Quote Originally Posted by nuyoika View Post
    A lot of people forget that if you're majoring in sports management or sociology or some specialized degree of your choosing which a lot of colleges offer now a Cal or Harvard degree really means nothing. Most of these kids are NOT going to school to be a doctor or rocket scientist.

A lot of them have sports majors to begin with and if I wanted to be a coach, or play professionally, or over seas, or in the WNBA, or work for a sports team, I likely would go to a school where the most successful athletes went so that I could have those connections. Networking has proven to get people just as far as a degree in 2017. Also, if you are offered the opportunity to study your passion under the best teacher of your craft (if you intend to play professionally) that can be really hard to pass up.

Jasmine Lister is a great example of that. I highly doubt she was hired mainly because she had a Vanderbilt degree. It likely had little to nothing to do with her getting a great job. In sports and entertainment it's about who you know.
    So I looked it up (google is your friend). Top WNBA salarty is 109K. Most players do overseas gigs to supplement their earnings.

Now 109K for a 20 something isn't chicken feed but it aint THAT great.

Even then I still am intrigued by the talent gap between say the 2-4 best Women's programs and then EVERYONE else.

One interesting aspect is that Geno has a remarkable graduation rate. So a lot of this is recruiting the right kids.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    So I looked it up (google is your friend). Top WNBA salarty is 109K. Most players do overseas gigs to supplement their earnings.

Now 109K for a 20 something isn't chicken feed but it aint THAT great.

Even then I still am intrigued by the talent gap between say the 2-4 best Women's programs and then EVERYONE else.
    Now this was the subject of a past thread which Clay did a good job of clearing up. Unlike the men and the NBA, the WNBA does not pay the top salaries for the Women players. The players make more playing over seas. The play in the WNBA because that is the top league and will increase what they can demand over seas. This last season the Russian team payed Taurasi her WNBA salary to not play and rest. While they do not make the money that the Men do, The amount they make is still better than any entry level job some recent college grad would get. As was pointed out in the last thread, most grads have a hard time even finding jobs in todays world. It's supply and demand. Degree's are not worth what they once were Too many degree's in relation to the positions they are required for.

Quote Originally Posted by willtalk View Post
    Now this was the subject of a past thread which Clay did a good job of clearing up. Unlike the men and the NBA, the WNBA does not pay the top salaries for the Women players. The players make more playing over seas. The play in the WNBA because that is the top league and will increase what they can demand over seas. This last season the Russian team payed Taurasi her WNBA salary to not play and rest. While they do not make the money that the Men do, The amount they make is still better than any entry level job some recent college grad would get. As was pointed out in the last thread, most grads have a hard time even finding jobs in todays world. It's supply and demand. Degree's are not worth what they once were Too many degree's in relation to the positions they are required for.
    UMMC Ekaterinburg was already paying Taurasi 1.5M anyway so to them throwing her another 110K was nothing.... and she gets to rest. Going in the 1st round of the WNBA is really important to sticking in the league (making the final roster). The 2nd and 3rd rounders usually have a much much lower stick rate. I believe it was about 50% in the second round and under 20% for 3rd rounders. Either way if you don't make a roster you will likely make a EURO league roster and make just as much if not more than you would have made in the WNBA anyway.

Fyi- maybe the HBO series documentary (begins March 1) will provide more insight/behind the scenes about UCONN Women's Basketball and their success- Uconn The March to Madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ItC...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for the tip, I will set the recorder

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Fly View Post
    Fyi- maybe the HBO series documentary (begins March 1) will provide more insight/behind the scenes about UCONN Women's Basketball and their success- Uconn The March to Madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ItC...ature=youtu.be
    The one thing that immediately stands out is the attitude, intensity and focus of the team. The coach expects the players to be great by putting in the effort to be great. He told the team that the difference between good players and great players is that great players never get tired.

^^^ I enjoyed watching the first episode, insightful... players said you have to be mentally tough to play for him/UCONN