Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Oroville Dam queries.

OT: Oroville Dam queries.

200,000 mandatory evacuation. This thing is starting to get real, though I honestly doubt the dam or spillway is going to fail. Any Civil engineers on the board have any comments? Civil Engineering at Cal has bee number 1 in the world for like forever right?

That's what happens when the state supports social causes but does not allocate enough money for infra structure. A more balanced approach would be appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Goobear View Post
    That's what happens when the state supports social causes but does not allocate enough money for infra structure. A more balanced approach would be appreciated...
    Gee...I wonder which person was in charge of the state and which person was in charge of the federal government 12 years ago...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/1...-12-years-ago/

well...they had the last 8 years to rectify the problem...but they're too busy with smart and bullet trains.

The dam may be in trouble, but the soapboxes appear to be quite sturdy.

I think playing the blame game is kind of fruitless. There are an infinite number of things that can be fixed, retrofitted, replaced. There isn't an infinite number of resources to address these potential risks. Twelve years ago or any of the subsequent drought years, had a politician raised taxes to get the funds to fix the spillway, that would have been political suicide. We know another big earthquake coming and it's going to be frigging painful. Why aren't we enacting martial law and garnishing resources to mitigate all the risks as if an invading army were coming?Human nature is to react to mother nature, not anticipate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YEEBCSComdM

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    This is what makes Cal alums, in this way at least, no better--and probably worse--than alums of what Cal alums believe to be "lesser" schools. Goobear lit the unnecessary match, and others immediately jumped in with fuel.

The problem is it's too quiet on the football front right now so we need some entertainment.

There are parts of the dam that are just crumbling on as I see it on the TV. Crazy

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    Gee...I wonder which person was in charge of the state and which person was in charge of the federal government 12 years ago...

While I disagree that this is a lack of funds issue (I think it is just a poor assessment issue), this is CERTAINLY not a single individual issue.

Without looking into it I would guess it was an agency that had been trucking along with limited oversight (from D or R) for a good long while that was busy with throwing their budget at sexy projects rather than maintaining anything, just like every agency in the country.

It also ignores that Democrats had the State assembly 25-15, and the Senate was 48-51 in favor of R, and House was 207 225 in favor of R. It wasnt exactly a total "Republicans/Democrats blocking Dam repair" time.

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Human nature is to react to mother nature, not anticipate it.
    And to build, not maintain.

People LOVE big capital projects. People say they want maintenance, but even when they get it, they cry about the delays. The reality is, democracy and even bureaucracy under a democracy doesnt like to anticipate or maintain. They are hear to lead, not to read.

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post

It's Michael Brown's fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
    And to build, not maintain.

People LOVE big capital projects. People say they want maintenance, but even when they get it, they cry about the delays. The reality is, democracy and even bureaucracy under a democracy doesnt like to anticipate or maintain. They are hear to lead, not to read.
    Thankfully a border wall won't need any maintenance.
    Last edited by burritos; 02-13-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
    While I disagree that this is a lack of funds issue (I think it is just a poor assessment issue), this is CERTAINLY not a single individual issue.

Without looking into it I would guess it was an agency that had been trucking along with limited oversight (from D or R) for a good long while that was busy with throwing their budget at sexy projects rather than maintaining anything, just like every agency in the country.

It also ignores that Democrats had the State assembly 25-15, and the Senate was 48-51 in favor of R, and House was 207 225 in favor of R. It wasnt exactly a total "Republicans/Democrats blocking Dam repair" time.
    I agree. Both sides are to blame. My problem was the "social causes" thing. Has the California government really spent so much time on social causes?

Frankly, it's all the fault of the Hoover Dam.

The Hoover Dam gets all the attention. And yes, it's well deserved. But it takes the spotlight away from the Oroville Dam, which is the tallest dam in the United States. (Hoover is #2).

Honestly, I never even heard of the Oroville Dam before this past week. And now I'm concerned because I hear it's in Butte County, and one of my favorite quarterbacks used to play for Butte College.
    Last edited by okaydo; 02-13-2017 at 09:51 AM.