Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary Nutter Softball I has Cal facing four opponents Friday thru Sunday...(link)

Baseball Mary Nutter Softball I has Cal facing four opponents Friday thru Sunday...(link)

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/2/...ry-nutter.aspx

All four games are being telecast on FloSoftball.com. I'm a subscriber so most likely you might have to
    pay, too. The Fighting Illini have the same record as Cal (4-1) and should be tough but other three schools (Kent State, Central Florida & University of San Diego) should be beatable. I have not checked the latter three schools out, however. Bears NEED to sweep this weekend because the enter the gauntlet next weekend for the Mary Nutter Softball Classic II against Okie State, Louisville, Nebraska & Ohio State (see schedule below).

http://www.calbears.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball
    GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-16-2017 at 03:23 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear

who game will not be rained out!

Not raining now but possible rain to start at 4pm. Hope Cal's game will not be delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Not raining now but possible rain to start at 4pm. Hope Cal's game will not be delayed.
    Yep, starting to roll in this way. I was going to hold off until next week which looks better but I'm only a 1/2 hr away. So here I am. Oregon/Kentucky was a good one today.

Bears

Looks like it's holding off. Filmore off the hands gets a ball up the middle. 2-0 🐻

A couple of fielding miscues and unearned run crosses 2-1 🐻 top of 4

Both teams swinging on 0-2 Illinois biting on dropballs. 2 ks Zoey 🐻

Ill. Coach told batters to move up in the box to take away drop ...see if it works 🐻 2 warning track flies. Need to be aware of the adjustment next inning.

Bond robbed on run 🐻

3 pitch inning for Zoey! 🐻

An unbalanced attack from the bats. Maybe a reminder of what helps the team could be in order.

Let's hold them 🐻 bottom of 7

Good, clean game Zoey. Unbalanced bats but it's early F 2-1 🐻
    Last edited by diegobear78; 02-17-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Happy to see Bradie with her first hit. Puts Cal up 2-0 with a 2 run single.

Three defensive misplays by Cal's defense in the 3rd inning allowed one unearned run. Pogue drops easy throw at 1st base for lead-off error, JJ commits two-base error in CF on a ground ball single, and 3B Kobie Pettis made a mental error by not going for a force out at second base. TV announcer stated that the Cal SS was yelling for her to throw to second base but she threw to first instead.

Cal got robbed of a run in the top of the fifth. Vanessa Alvarez got robbed of perhaps a double by a leaping backhanded catch by their SS Romero. Lindsay Rood followed her with a single to CF. Taurie Pogue hit a line drive to the Fighting Illini LF near the warning track in the sixth. This was after a line drive single to LF by Kobie Pettis.

Both pitchers pitched down and away with good control. Both teams played solid defense behind 'em. This is the initial time that I have seen Zoe Conley pitch but she is definitely an improvement over any of Cal's returnees. I still have not seen Bradie Fillmore pitch...Final Score: Cal 2, Illinois 1. There's a double-header tomorrow against Kent State & Central Florida.
    GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-17-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Hoping this weekend our bats get going, offense is traditionally anemic under Ninemire. Thankfully Cal was pitchers U under John Reeves. I hope he is doing well.

True Blue Golden Bear

Zoe & Bears comes thru with a win 2-1

Great pitching by the Bear's pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Great pitching by the Bear's pitcher
    +1

Kent State and Central Florida are better than you think. Losses were close to good teams.

It appears that the rain has hit Southern California. I logged into the FloSports website and it states the next game to be telecast will be @ 2:30 pm.

http://kentstatesports.com/boxscore....ftball&id=4234

Kent State is 4-3 on the season and barely lost to Oregon, 4-3, yesterday. The Ducks are the initial "name" softball team that they faced. They also defeated San Diego, 6-2, on Friday. Cal is scheduled to face the Toreros on Sunday. The Mid-America Conference team possesses two solid starting pitchers which split their double-header .

Central Florida (3-3) defeated Cal Poly-SLO, 2-1, and lost a heartbreaker to UCLA, 1-0. The Bruins scored an unearned run to squeak by. The Knights obviously have strong pitching, too.
    http://www.ucfknights.com/boxscore.a...&path=softball

Either the rest of the country is improving rapidly or Pac 9 powerhouses, Oregon & UCLA, are not the teams that they used to be...How come Cal doesn't have two stalwart starting pitchers like these smaller schools do? Maybe Bradie Fillmore is that 2nd starter for Cal but the way that she has not been used makes me believe otherwise. GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-18-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    Kent State and Central Florida are better than you think. Losses were close to good teams.
    I agree. Kent State is a solid team. They looked very poised against the Ducks. Didn't see UCF but a friend (Bruin) said they played very strong yesterday.

Posted schedule says 3:00 but that's with games in front ,so who knows.

🐻

Central Florida lists its Cal game at 8:30 pm EST (or 5:30 pm PST). As you warned, many of these games could be washed out/postponed depending upon the weather. GO BEARS!

Cancelled today

Maybe tomorrow
    🐻

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/2/...t-lmu-7-4.aspx

Cal 7, Loyola Marymount 4 FINAL. This game is on FloSports tv but I didn't find it until the 3rd inning. The live stats failed to work which made me think that the game was rained out/delayed. This first game is a bullpen game with Kourtney Shaw (1x through the batting order) and now Katie Sutherland-Finch (second time). Stephanie Trzcinski takes over in the 5th frame... LHP Rachel Farrington, the Lions starter, was originally a Cal commit. CalFanatic can confirm...

I missed the three runs in the first but I did witness the three runs in the fourth. Bradie Fillmore showed some power with fly ball out to the left centerfield fence. Jazzmyn Jackson is perfect on the morning with 4-4 including three doubles...The former Mitty star has carried the Bear's offense-she has the only extra base hits.

LM began to take homerun swings and tee off against Cal's senior Aussie. The Lions hammered a two run homer following a walk and rapped a couple more hits. Cal SS Lindsay Rood also contributed an E 6 to load the bases. Zoe Conley came in to shut the door and get the final out. Zoe got roughed up a bit in the bottom of the 7th, yielding her initial two earned runs of the season on three hits.

Cal (6-1) faces Kent State at probably about 1:30 pm PST. GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-19-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Kinda dreary weather. Feels like the beach with the wind. JJ looked great, hopefully we pick up the energy for Kent State. 🐻