Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT-CCS Open Division Seedings...

Basketball OT-CCS Open Division Seedings...

Open Division*: top 8 on 02/24/17
    --------------------------------------
    #1-Archbishop Mitty (22-2)
    #2-Sacred Heart Cathedral (16-7)
    #3-Pinewood (22-2)
    #4-Valley Christian (13-11)
    #5-Menlo Atherton (26-1)
    #6-St Ignatius (17-7)
    #7-Eastside College Prep (18-6)
    #8-Saint Francis (14-10)
    *all entrants earn spot in Nor Cal Regionals
    Div IV-Menlo School (14-10) & Oceana (20-5)
    Div V-Woodside Priory (15-9) & RL Stevenson (16-3)

2 Finalists from D1-D5 move on to NorCal right? I'll be at the Mitty game Friday in Gilroy...

I believe that you're correct. The format for the NorCal Regionals was changed last year. CCS has had the Open Division is football & basketball for many years but the NCS & Sacto-San Joaquin sections just adopted it in the these NC playoffs. De La Salle represented Nor Cal in the Open Division in football last season. I could be incorrect. Anyone please feel free to correct any errors in regards to your sections...
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-20-2017 at 11:25 PM.

It's possible that three teams will move on -- I would guess Mitty, Pinewood and SHC are Open-bound, though obviously results could have an impact.

At the moment, neither NCS nor SJS has Open brackets in basketball, but the push is on.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

In a way, if Pinewood and Eastside College Prep are KO'd, they'll have a better opportunity to win state in D4 or D5. Both these teams are guard-oriented without a post player over 6 feet.

The wildcard team is #4 Menlo Atherton (26-1) who lost their opener to St Marys-Stockton (competitive) and have since won 26 consecutive games.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...l/schedule.htm
    Besides the Mitty Monarchs (22-2, 10-0) being dominant, their JV also finished perfect for the season (21-0) & in the WCAL (10-0). They rotate a dozen players and have defeated virtually every girl's bball power in Northern California (see schedule). Sue Phillips historically brings up 3 or 4 promising JV candidates for the varsity run through the CCS Playoffs, etc. Frosh PG Ashley Hiraki (5-5) was voted **Player of the Game** on 5-6x while soph post Kate Conaway (6-2) has also won the award on multiple occasions. Soph PF Camille Morales (6-1), soph SF Kyahana Robinson (5-11), soph guard Charlize Andaya, soph guard Camela Mataele (5-8) & frosh guard Natalia Esparza-Zaitz have also captured the honor. It will be interesting to see who moves up to varsity. The Monarch's will lose four key seniors [MVP PF Madeline Holland, C Tahlia Garza (6-2), G Helena Hill & SF Daniella Guglielmo] out of their nine player rotation after this season. Each has received D I college scholarship offers. This tremendous JV team will have to fill the "talent gap" next season...
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 02-21-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Schroeder keep providing us CCS play-off updates. I'm not following them closely until Norcal Open run, got my focus on SJS and NCS right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    In a way, if Pinewood and Eastside College Prep are KO'd, they'll have a better opportunity to win state in D4 or D5. Both these teams are guard-oriented without a post player over 6 feet.

The wildcard team is #4 Menlo Atherton (26-1) who lost their opener to St Marys-Stockton (competitive) and have since won 26 consecutive games.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...l/schedule.htm
    Besides the Mitty Monarchs (22-2, 10-0) being dominant, their JV also finished perfect for the season (21-0) & in the WCAL (10-0). They rotate a dozen players and have defeated virtually every girl's bball power in Northern California (see schedule). Sue Phillips historically brings up 3 or 4 promising JV candidates for the varsity run through the CCS Playoffs, etc. Frosh PG Ashley Hiraki (5-5) was voted **Player of the Game** on 5-6x while soph post Kate Conaway (6-2) has also won the award on multiple occasions. Soph PF Camille Morales (6-1), soph SF Kyahana Robinson (5-11), soph guard Charlize Andaya, soph guard Camela Mataele (5-8) & frosh guard Natalia Esparza-Zaitz have also captured the honor. It will be interesting to see who moves up to varsity. The Monarch's will lose four key seniors [MVP PF Madeline Holland, C Tahlia Garza (6-2), G Helena Hill & SF Daniella Guglielmo] out of their nine player rotation after this season. Each has received D I college scholarship offers. This tremendous JV team will have to fill the "talent gap" next season...
    Ahh you are a Mitty insider 71! Good stuff! My youngest daughter is lucky enough to be coached by a Cal alumna who also is a member of the HOF at Mitty. We are very fortunate as she is a great coach and a great friend! Holds a record at Cal too! Little trivia for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    I believe that you're correct. The format for the NorCal Regionals was changed last year. CCS has had the Open Division is football & basketball for many years but the NCS & Sacto-San Joaquin sections just adopted it in the these NC playoffs. De La Salle represented Nor Cal in the Open Division in football last season. I could be incorrect. Anyone please feel free to correct any errors in regards to your sections...
    You are correct as it relates to the Open for football. I think for basketball they go D-1 through small schools. I don't think they have an open division in basketball...

Kristin Iwanaga was a Cal PG from Mitty. She was a high school head coach of St Francis-Watsonville in the CCS. However, I believe that she moved on to a college assistant position? Who are you referring to out of curiousity? I would not claim to be a Mitty insider but I do attend several games annually. I attended public schools and I'm a Protestant anyway. I attend Bellarmine College Prep and Los Gatos HS football games for the same reason-close proximity and quality teams to observe year in and year out...

Bingo! KI as we affectionally know her, she volunteers during the off season to coach our 6G girls. She brings the same kind of fire that she brings while coaching at Santa Clara U. She is an assistant there. Her brother is the JV coach at Mitty.
    It's great that you get out and check out some quality HS ball in the South Bay both football and basketball. The Bells still run that ugly wing t formation? Ha ha! It will be a good NorCal tourney this year for the girls D1..loaded field. Let's not forget about Newman in the north bay, they will make a deep run again this year!

The NorCal Open will have eight teams, including at least the top two in the Central Coast Section Open Division. It is possible that Mitty, Pinewood and Sacred Heart Cathedral will all wind up in the Open.

In three of the past four years, four teams from the North Coast Section have gone into the Open, though there is no Open sectional playoff. (Every section in California does things differently, as the state cannot dictate very much to the sections.) The top three this year are Carondelet, Bishop O'Dowd and Cardinal Newman, with Miramonte (where I'm an assistant), Salesian and Campolindo in the conversation. (It is possible, of course, that only three NCS teams will go.)

In the Sac-Joaquin Section, there is no Open, and it's likely the Division I winner will go, except that Folsom does not meet the criteria. McClatchy or St. Mary's would certainly go Open, and if the two play each other in the finals, both could go. It's possible that the D2 champ (Modesto Christian, Vanden and Sacramento are the favorites) could go as well.

The wildcard is Central Section's Clovis West, which could wind up in either the Northern Regional or Southern Regional. A statewide committee will make that decision -- and do all the bracketing -- March 5 after the section playoffs are complete.

It's unlikely that the Northern Section's Pleasant Valley will be selected, and both the San Francisco and Oakland sections are weak this year.

Yes-BCP still runs that same unorthodox offense under coach Janda. I had noticed the name of the JV coach but I had never put it together as KI's brother. Thank you. Cardinal Newman has the two tall post
    players that will be difficult for most high school teams to matchup with. We'll see how good their guard play is in the playoffs. GO BEARS!

Clay-I always wondered why the Central Valley (Fresno area) didn't get placed in the North to help balance out the huge population in the CIF Southern Section...Of course, Clovis West will make it tough for the traditional NC teams to advance to state.

I heard through a message board that DeCosta, 6-2 SMS post, is returning to action tonight. Is this true?

DeCosta is back, and St. Mary's, with Naje Murray also back from injury, is the D1 favorite in SJS, though McClatchy looks strong as well.