Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Off topic:Why dont the tech companies move to more friendly states?

Quote Originally Posted by 71Bear View Post
    4th worst in the world?

Wow. I have been in at least four cities overseas that are far worse than SF with Moscow being the worst.

Within the US, I would rate LA worse and SF second although the traffic in Manhattan is getting tougher to negotiate. Thank God for Uber.......
    My sister's friend commutes from Lafayette to Googleplex. Bikes twice a week. The commute time is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncsf View Post
    Apparently in India for cheap as well. The research triangle in North Carolina has an impressive cadre of researchers. Pretty silly to think we have a monopoly on smart people. That said, some great entrepreneurs were born here.
    We certainly don't have a monopoly on smart people, nor is every tech company located in the Bay Area. But there are legitimate reasons why there is a preponderance of those companies here, and it's not because CEOs love liberal politics.

With crispr, this is where we are heading:

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    Seems they could operate just as well in a different place. Maybe cheaper housing and less traffic and lower taxes.

I continue to be alarmed at the rampant construction of more condos and more commercial buildings with total disregard for the fact that the infostructure (roads) can not handle more people. SF is the4th worst city in the world for taffic and city managers keep proposing removing roads. Sometimes for beautification and some times for ill conceived transit projects.

Lets make Van Ness one lane in each direction in San Francisco, make El Camino in San Mateo 2 lanes and put in a bus lane. Lets tear down the 280 extension and the 980 freeway. Surely all the high income people living here won't mind riding public transporation. Mind Bogling.
    If you want some history as to why the Bay Area has such a strong foothold din the tech world, read Issacson's The Innovators. There are reasons. SoCal presents other reasons dealing with eduction training and you also should consider that capital was more available for start-ups than in the usual financial capitals.

You should also appreciate that major tech companies have been moving or starting new divisions outside the saturated Bay Area, so there is the Silicon Slopes in the Thanksgiving Point area of Utah, significant software development in North Carolina, general IT development in Austin, Silicon Breach in the Venice/Santa Monica/Playa Del Rey, University Village (coming to the Chula Vista area near San Diego), Boca Raton Florida, and Silicon Beach Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane corridor). Best way to find out where tech is moving in is from real estate developer magazines. Most of the decisions are based on tech desiring a certain workforce and advantages. For example, if you read the Issacson book, the University of Utah and BYU have been ground breaking in computer graphics, and Silicon Slopes is almost the half way point between the two schools. The decisions have not been based on taxes or perceived business friendly practices of state. Remember most tech companies like Apple off-shore their profits through licenses to Swiss (or other receptive venues) affiliates.

Thanks. Interesting information.

We got the nerd infrastructure and all the horse **** that ensues

I wrestle with this question constantly and am contemplating starting my fourth tech company in 18 months or so. Despite the highly unfavorable business climate, there is just no better place to be in either a big tech company or a startup:

- Cal and the Furd. More tech CEOs have gone to these schools than any others. High rates of entrepreneurism.
    - The Bay Area *does* have a critical mass of the best tech engineers.
    - The finance, legal and networking infrastructure works so fluidly, it's so easy to get a company going here. You can even find early adopter customers quickly with a (no longer quick) drive around the region.
    - This is intangible, but there is a "think big, go big" mentality here that results in companies being better. It's a very western thing and very real.
    Last edited by 95bears; 02-22-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    Where did anybody say we have a monopoly on smart people?
    "Educated workers- you find them here". That line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncsf View Post
    "Educated workers- you find them here". That line.
    Your bias is showing. Where does that line imply a monopoly?

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    SF is still one of those cities everyone and their mother want to live in. Until that changes, expect it to remain a boomtown.

Much of the country may hate the Bay Area's political orientation and may try to pretend the high cost of living and traffic are the devil's work, but they secretly envy the bay area's economy. And most bay area tech industry people I know say, "that's OK, I wouldn't trade living here for your big house in the suburbs of some bland southern or midwestern city where the Cheesecake Factory passes for a good restaurant."
    Is this a serious post? You need to get out more. Many, many people do not want to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by HKBear97 View Post
    Is this a serious post? You need to get out more. Many, many people do not want to live there.
    Both can be true: http://www.theharrispoll.com/health-and-life/States-Where-Americans-Most-Want-to-Live.html

Real Bear
    As someone who lives in Bangkok, I can definitely attest to the fact that traffic in the US is a joke compared other parts of the world. No US city in the top 10:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/20/auto...h-hour-cities/

Quote Originally Posted by 71Bear View Post
    4th worst in the world?

Wow. I have been in at least four cities overseas that are far worse than SF with Moscow being the worst.

Within the US, I would rate LA worse and SF second although the traffic in Manhattan is getting tougher to negotiate. Thank God for Uber.......
    Last edited by calgymnast; 02-21-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Your bias is showing. Where does that line imply a monopoly?
    It doesn't, but I guess conservatives need safe spaces these days.

Quote Originally Posted by tommie317 View Post
    Both can be true: http://www.theharrispoll.com/health-and-life/States-Where-Americans-Most-Want-to-Live.html
    Note how CA seems to be more preferred by Gen Xers and Millennials, or in other words the people of prime working age.

Quote Originally Posted by calgymnast View Post
    As someone who lives in Bangkok, I can definitely attest to the fact that traffic in the US is a joke compared other parts of the world. No US city in the top 10:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/20/auto...h-hour-cities/
    Bangkok is insanity. I visited there for 2 months. The suburbs sprawl endlessly, the street layouts make no sense, and the freeways and high-density area boulevards are hilariously underpowered for a city of 8 million+ people.