Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Off topic:Why dont the tech companies move to more friendly states?

Real Bear
    Absolutely zero city or urban planning went into it.
    Combine that with massive growth and this is what you get.
    A shame because the city is amazing but traffic is one of the biggest knocks.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedparent View Post
    Bangkok is insanity. I visited there for 2 months. The suburbs sprawl endlessly, the street layouts make no sense, and the freeways and high-density area boulevards are hilariously underpowered for a city of 8 million+ people.

Quote Originally Posted by HKBear97 View Post
    Is this a serious post? You need to get out more. Many, many people do not want to live there.
    I'll admit it, I got carried away there. I meant to say "many" would say that. Some do want out, and I'm sure a few say the line I quoted to convince themselves they want to live in the bay area when they don't.

Seattle is on fire...building everywhere. Many of the big Silicon valley firms, both tech and bio-tech, have offices here. Not to mention the usual Seattle firms, Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing and Starbucks. I have met so many California transplants its crazy. Plus, It is a quick, easy flight to the Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-California View Post
    Seattle is on fire...building everywhere. Many of the big Silicon valley firms, both tech and bio-tech, have offices here. Not to mention the usual Seattle firms, Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing and Starbucks. I have met so many California transplants its crazy. Plus, It is a quick, easy flight to the Bay Area.
    Seattle RE is nuts from a news point of view:
    http://seattle.curbed.com/2016/12/5/...astside-market

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SeaTac's ports are larger and busier than the Bay Area's. Also if I remember correctly, Washington is a net exporter to China: Almond Roca, apples(the ones people eat), Salmon, planes.
    Washington "goods(not services)" exports 15.4b vs California 13.8b

Plus Puget Sound area has the largest military complexes on the west coast(fort Lewis), so gotta love all the federal revenue flowing into that area.
    Last edited by burritos; 02-22-2017 at 04:25 PM.

The peninsula----braniac zone with Cal, 'furd, Santa Clara. Great weather, beautiful towns in Atherton, Menlo, Paly, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos. Proximity to SF, the beach, the mountains. Did I say about perfect weather (current storms excepted). Oh, and tons of funding on Sand Hill Road...What is there not to like?

And then those that model after it have much the same profile ---Boston, Austin, Seattle to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    The peninsula----braniac zone with Cal, 'furd, Santa Clara. Great weather, beautiful towns in Atherton, Menlo, Paly, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos. Proximity to SF, the beach, the mountains. Did I say about perfect weather (current storms excepted). Oh, and tons of funding on Sand Hill Road...What is there not to like?

And then those that model after it have much the same profile ---Boston, Austin, Seattle to a lesser extent.
    2 questions:
    Do you think Boston and Austin have perfect weather?

Do you really think all cities are trying to emulate the Penninsula or have the Pennisula in mind when trying to improve their city?

Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-California View Post
    Seattle is great. It's building at a much greater rate than the Bay Area or LA. But it doesn't have anywhere near the NIMBY roadblocks that you have in coastal California.

Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post

Best weather on the planet for guys, but the gals like it a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    2 questions:
    Do you think Boston and Austin have perfect weather?

Do you really think all cities are trying to emulate the Penninsula or have the Pennisula in mind when trying to improve their city?
    Ya gotta start with academic prowess, and you also need history or making it work. Tech works with the money stream. Do Boston and Austin have good weather? No, hardly anyone does. The peninsula may be the best place in the world for everything, but of course Money Magazine would never give it a prop because it is too expensive to live. I live in SoCal, but the peninsula is about as good as it gets if you have the dinero. Don't know if they are trying to emulate the peninsula, but they are certainly focused in areas of academic prowess. Money stream ain't too bad in Beantown and Austin either.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    But it doesn't have anywhere near the NIMBY roadblocks that you have in coastal California.
    Just give them time.

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    What a thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ncsf View Post
    "Educated workers- you find them here". That line.
    LOL how did you get monopoly from that?

If you were to see a commercial for a supermarket that said "Fresh Oranges, you find them here"....would you make the claim that that market had a monopoly on Oranges?

A lot of companies are starting to abandon the Bay Area for engineering hires. This shift has almost nothing to do with regulation or general business climate and everything to do with the level of competition in the labor market for engineers. Compared to google, apple and Facebook nearly everyone is subscale and is having difficulty attracting and retaining talent.

I've mentioned this many times before but California's prohibition on non-competes in employment agreements has a lot to do with the development of our tech industry and contributes to the ease with which people can switch companies and start new ones here. You still see it today with average attrition rates of 25-30% in engineering workforces. Outside of the Bay Area people are better able to retain employees with less competition.

In light of the recent travel ban and fears regarding availability of H1-Bs companies are going to be more active in international markets as well. Canada in particular is going to benefit. I'm somewhat hopeful the administration realizes the benefits of the H1-B program for the eco only and our country's future and helps push through the bill that is currently on the table which is intended to benefit California tech employers which hire talented H1-Bs. It would come at the expense of the large outsourcing/consulting firms like Infosys and Tata which hire lower wage H1-Bs as a form of labor market arbitrage. Without H1-Bs the talent shortage in the Bay Area would be even more severe and would push companies to move overseas even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncsf View Post
    "Educated workers- you find them here". That line.
    You do find educated workers in California. Lots of them. What does that have to do with monopolies?

My employer has me set-up to WFH (work from home), officially as of the last year; and I'm finalizing my "blue and gold" (yellow) themed office/gym in the next couple of weeks. I've been told that I can work from anywhere in the world basically, but to ideally stay within certain time zones. As long as I have a good internet connection, computer and phone, I'm good to go...

As a native born Californian, I've contemplated leaving CA at some point. My aging parents are 30 to 45 minutes away. As an only child, I'll remain here for them, without question. After that, Cal keeps me here too...

I digress. The point is that my employer, a very large one, and other ones, are allowing for such flexibility.
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!