Thread: kelsey plum

kelsey plum

amazing performance by kelsey. how was she rated out of HS? did Cal recruit her?

https://twitter.com/UW_WBB/status/835968428485718016
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

sorry, answered my own question. darn. wish she had come to Cal ...

Plum is a shade of purple, so perhaps it is fitting that Kelsey Plum, the No. 26 prospect in the country, picked the Purple and Gold of the University of Washington as her future college home.

Plum, who also considered Cal and Gonzaga, made a visit to the Seattle, Wash., campus this past weekend, the last of her three official visits.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

I was at the state high school tournament during Kelsey's junior year. and I thought she was the best three point shooter I had ever seen in girls high school play. and i posted that on this board. At that game, I ran into Lindsey and we talked for a moment. I said tell me we are recruiting her. And Lindsey said yes . and she was optimistic.

In the end it was between us and Washington. One of the readers of this site but doesn't post sees a lot of high school games. He met Kelsey's mom at a tournament in Stoockton. Her mom said the hardest phone call Kelsey ever made was to Lindsey to tell her she wasn't coming. Boy, can you imagine if she did.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    I was at the state high school tournament during Kelsey's junior year. and I thought she was the best three point shooter I had ever seen in girls high school play. and i posted that on this board. At that game, I ran into Lindsey and we talked for a moment. I said tell me we are recruiting her. And Lindsey said yes . and she was optimistic.

In the end it was between us and Washington. One of the readers of this site but doesn't post sees a lot of high school games. He met Kelsey's mom at a tournament in Stockton. Her mom said the hardest phone call Kelsey ever made was to Lindsey to tell her she wasn't coming. Boy, can you imagine if she did.
    She would have made a HUGE difference. Four years ago we added Range, Jefflo, Waters, Ben Abdelkader, Dunn (transfer) and Shine (transfer) after 0 new recruits the year before. Those two recruiting years made it difficult for us to compete in the conference the last two years. If we had Plum, opponents would have to focus on stopping 2 players this year and last and 3 players 3 and 4 years ago.

I like how the Washington coaches recognized early on that Plum is a great natural scorer and built their offense around her. That has been a winning strategy for them.

I'm hoping that there's a future "Kelsey Plum" out there who chooses Cal and Lindsey Gottlieb this time around. And she makes that difficult phone call to an opposing coach. We can all dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    I'm hoping that there's a future "Kelsey Plum" out there who chooses Cal and Lindsey Gottlieb this time around. And she makes that difficult phone call to an opposing coach. We can all dream.
    I think we are going to be very pleased with Kianna Smith. She's a McDonald's All American, her father is the associate head coach at Fullerton, her uncle is a coach in the WNBA, her grandfather played in the NBA, her brother (6'-3") is a year older and plays on the Fullerton team. Her father taught her her patented step-back move and he brother helps develop her skills playing against her. She is tough, has martial arts type coolness and poise, does strenuous drills. Good 3 point and FT shooter, drives well. Handles good enough to play PG (it appears that she expects to play PG next year) and passes very well but she is known as a scorer and clutch player. I hope she is our next "Layshia Clarendon". And like Layshia she is a little under the radar (although making the McDonald's team puts her in the top 24 in the country).

Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    I think we are going to be very pleased with Kianna Smith. She's a McDonald's All American, her father is the associate head coach at Fullerton, her uncle is a coach in the WNBA, her grandfather played in the NBA, her brother (6'-3") is a year older and plays on the Fullerton team. Her father taught her her patented step-back move and he brother helps develop her skills playing against her. She is tough, has martial arts type coolness and poise, does strenuous drills. Good 3 point and FT shooter, drives well. Handles good enough to play PG (it appears that she expects to play PG next year) and passes very well but she is known as a scorer and clutch player. I hope she is our next "Layshia Clarendon". And like Layshia she is a little under the radar (although making the McDonald's team puts her in the top 24 in the country).
    I like both Thomas and Cayton as rotation players. But neither has all-PAC12 potential. If Smith is that type of player, including with her size at 6.0 ft, that could really help bring the program back.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    I like both Thomas and Cayton as rotation players. But neither has all-PAC12 potential. If Smith is that type of player, including with her size at 6.0 ft, that could really help bring the program back.
    I hope that LG comes up with better offensive sets and tries to do more than passing into the post whether there is an opening or not.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by roqmoq View Post
    I hope that LG comes up with better offensive sets and tries to do more than passing into the post whether there is an opening or not.
    +1

She had better or she likely won't be around much longer.

No surprise here. Kelsey Plum was named Pac-12 Player of the Year today.

This seems like one of the problems that is causing us to be in the bottom half of the Pac12 despite having top half talent. Like any team, there needs to be improvements in a lot of the areas. Watching us lose to Utah and Colorado at home, then watching Utah and Colorado against Oregon was interesting. Utah struggled to get good shots against Oregon but they had a lot of easy shots against us. Colorado barely lost to Oregon in their first game but killed them in the 2nd game - they were up by 17 in the end of the first quarter. I have to say that SI shot poorly in both games and she took fewer shots in the game they won. Colorado was up by 9 in the first game against us until they couldn't hit anything in the 3rd and 4th quarters - maybe it was our good defense so we should recognize that. But they beat us in the 2nd game by picking on our low post defense and their post had 16 points and 15 rebounds to Anigwe's 15 points and 5 rebounds. Watching JR Payne against us and against her former coach (Oregon's Kelly Graves), Colorado may be moving up. Arizona is also looking good at the end of the season and they are the only team that we beat twice - good thing that we played them relatively early.

Our one dimension offense really hurts us against the teams that focuses on it but our defense (which can be quite good at times) needs to improve as well.