Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Pac-12 Swimming & Diving Champs (Men's)

2017 Pac-12 Swimming & Diving Champs (Men's)

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbear View Post
    Connor Callahan did a great job this week --- making finals in all three boards. Here are the final diving points totals, which will be combined with the swimming points next week:
    • Cal = 37 points
    • Stanford = 154 points
    • USC = 123 points
    • ASU = 88 points
    • Utah = 41 points
    -------

GENERAL INFORMATION

WHAT:
    2017 Pac-12 Conference Menís Swimming Championships

WHEN:
    Wednesday, March 1 - Saturday, March 4

WHERE:
    Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center
    650 Southwest Campus Drive, Federal Way, WA 98003

CHAMPIONSHIPS FIELD:
    Arizona, Arizona State, California, Stanford, USC and Utah.

TELEVISION AND LIVE STREAM COVERAGE:
    The Pac-12 Menís Swimming finals will be broadcast live on Saturday, March 4 at 6:30 p.m. PT / 7:30 p.m. MT on Pac-12 Arizona, Pac-12 Los Angeles and select other Pac-12 regional networks to be announced at a later date.

Coverage of the prelims and earlier finals will be streamed live on Pac-12.com and the Pac-12 Now app, Wednesday, March 1, Thursday, March 2, Friday, March 3 and will conclude on Saturday, March 4.

-------

Cal Men's Swimming: Pac-12 Championships Preview

-------

BEARS SET FOR PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS

2/28/2017 1:49 PM | By: Cal Athletics

Freshman Pawel Sendyk heads to his first Pac-12 Championships looking to make a mark in the sprint freestyle (Skip Stubbs)

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/2/...pionships.aspx

------

2017 MENíS PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS FAN GUIDE: CAL, STANFORD TO BATTLE

Stanford is one of the best teams in the country this year, but they'll be battling a tough Cal team that also ranks among the best of the best. Archive Photo via Mike Lewis/Ola Vista Photography

https://swimswam.com/2017-mens-pac-1...anford-battle/

-------

PAC-12 PSYCH SHEETS: http://static.pac-12.com/sports/swim...ampionship.pdf

-------

Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 02-28-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Psych Sheets

Day 1 finals

-------

Pac-12 Conference‏: .@calmenswim takes the 200-yard medley relay in 1:22.31 a Pac-12 Championship record time

"The Bears opened the meet with a gold in the 200 medley relay, breaking the American Record, Pac-12 Record, and Championship Record in the process with the 1:22.31. That took almost a tenth off their previous American Record time of 1:22.40 from the 2015 NCAA Championships, and was just 4 hundredths of a second shy of Michiganís NCAA Record from the 2013 NCAA meet.

With the NCAA meet coming up later this month, itís likely that some of Calís top swimmers arenít fully tapered. Take Ryan Murphy, for example, who led off the relay in a 20.78 backstroke split. At last seasonís NCAA championship meet, he led off the 200 medley relay in 20.20, so thereís a strong chance weíll see this NCAA Record go down in Indianapolis when they get to the big dance.

Theyíll have to take on some tough competition, of course, if they want to claim it as their own, and they wonít have an easy time with the likes of Texas, NC State, and Florida, among others, in the mix."

https://swimswam.com/cal-men-set-ame...-medley-relay/

SwimSwam reader comments: https://swimswam.com/2017-mens-pac-1...ls-live-recap/

"Incredibly fast 200 mr. Cal just missed the NCAA record with likely nobody shaved and minimal rest. 1:22.31 now means 1:21 is more than likely at NCAAs."

"1:22.31 for Cal, .04 off the NCAA record! Plus a 20.78 from Murphy, but I guess at this point thatís pretty routine for him."

-------

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Congrats to the Bears (women)..they left it all out there but the furds were just to strong! Now I'm looking forward to the Cal Men kick some furd A**!
    Yay, really brill!!!

"Calís Long Gutierrez, Andrew Seliksar, Michael Jensen and Ryan Murphy won the 800 freestyle relay in 6:12.07, besting the field by three seconds.

Stanfordís Grant Shoults, Tom Kremer, Abrahm DeVine and Liam Egan took second (6:15.09).

USCís Dylan Carter, Michael Domagala, Patrick Mulcare and Reed Malone finished third (6:15.34)."

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ls-live-recap/

-------

-------
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 03-02-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: video

I've been wondering which relays Ryan Murphy will swim this championship season. I know he's aiming for the freestyle relays at World Championships (LCM) this summer, so could the 4x50y free relay (AKA, 200 free relay) be the odd one out this year? I think Jensen, Lynch, Sendyk can easily handle 3 of the legs, so could the 4th swimmer on that relay be Josa, or even Williams if he qualifies for NCs?

One advantage of this move is that Murphy would be fresher for the 200IM on Thursday night. On the other hand, Josa would have swum in the relay right before the same individual race.

As a scoring update, Cal is up +14 over Stanford and +18 over USC in swimming, but when all diving points are added, Cal is -103 to Stanford and -68 to USC.

Great job everyone on night 1!

True Blue Golden Bear
    Yes!! furd s--> <---- Bears

I've been wondering which relays Ryan Murphy will swim this championship season. I know he's aiming for the freestyle relays at World Championships (LCM) this summer, so could the 4x50y free relay (AKA, 200 free relay) be the odd one out this year? I think Jensen, Lynch, Sendyk can easily handle 3 of the legs, so could the 4th swimmer on that relay be Josa, or even Williams if he qualifies for NCs?

One advantage of this move is that Murphy would be fresher for the 200IM on Thursday night. On the other hand, Josa would have swum in the relay right before the same individual race.

As a scoring update, Cal is up +14 over Stanford and +18 over USC in swimming, but when all diving points are added, Cal is -103 to Stanford and -68 to USC.

Great job everyone on night 1!
    Perhaps Durden will field a 200 free relay squad of Gutierrez/Jensen/Lynch/Sendyk in tomorrow's final as a dress rehearsal for NCAAs. Long swam the opening relay leg at last year's NCAAs in 19.58, but it's hard for me to gauge where he is this season after sitting out this fall. Long's 1:33.44 opening leg in the 800 free relay gives him a safe low B cut 200 free time so he has his invite to NCAAs. Gutierrez does not have a Day 2 individual event so putting him on the 200 free relay makes sense for keeping our 200 IM scoring hopefuls fresh.
    Last edited by dgong; 03-01-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Congrats to Durden and the Bears Bros! Podium pictures are interesting. In the Medley pic, would've thought Hoppe was the sprinter and Pawel was the breaststroker. In the 800 Free pic, Jensen has prototypical sprinter height and length, but Seliskar's not particularly tall.

Both Seli and Pawel are studs. One of the underrated aspects of Durden's coaching is how technically proficient he is as a coach. Nathan & Shields are both physically gifted, but Durden built on that to make them world class swimmers. Durden's technical expertise makes him uniquely qualified to coach Missy right now.

I am cognizant that the NCAA Championships is the prime goal for our Bears (along with other schools). So Durden does not fret over the PAC12 point wise where Stanford got 154 points alone in diving and we got 37 pints for a 117 points Cal would have to make up in the swimming portion of the meet. As you astute S&D posters here know, Durden just wants to get as many of our swimmers qualified for the NCAAs as possible and it's looking good right now and should get better in the last 2 days of the meet. I don't know how many points Stanford divers will get in NCAAs, but they will go up against some very top divers from other schools which will help Cal. Plus Stanford has some weak events particularly in sprints and breast among other strokes. I can't wait for the National Championships later this month!

Day 2 Finals

-------

BEARS ADD MORE TITLES AT PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS

3/2/2017 8:11 PM | By: Cal Athletics

Andrew Seliskar, left, won his fourth individual Pac-12 title while Pawel Sendyk claimed his first on Thursday (Pac-12 Photo)

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/3/...pionships.aspx

------

2017 MENíS PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS: DAY 2 FINALS LIVE RECAP

https://swimswam.com/2017-mens-pac-1...ls-live-recap/

------

Quote Originally Posted by longseeker View Post
    Damn diving!
    Cal Menís Swimming in Pac-12 Championships

Including that 117 point diving lead by Stanford, here are the top 3 teams in the standings through Day 2 (9 events, 6 swimming, 3 diving):

Stanford - 387

USC - 305

Cal - 292

Looking ahead, Stanford will likely gain points on Cal in the 1650 Free on Saturday, but the Bears should be in position to pick up points here and there in the rest of the events. 100 Breast and 200 Breast may be the two events that really cut into that Stanford lead.

Stanford is build more to win this Pac-12 title than the NCAA since their diving points edge will be so much more diluted at the NCAA.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com...ar-dave-durden

------

Quote Originally Posted by longseeker View Post
    I am cognizant that the NCAA Championships is the prime goal for our Bears (along with other schools). So Durden does not fret over the PAC12 point wise where Stanford got 154 points alone in diving and we got 37 pints for a 117 points Cal would have to make up in the swimming portion of the meet. As you astute S&D posters here know, Durden just wants to get as many of our swimmers qualified for the NCAAs as possible and it's looking good right now and should get better in the last 2 days of the meet. I don't know how many points Stanford divers will get in NCAAs, but they will go up against some very top divers from other schools which will help Cal. Plus Stanford has some weak events particularly in sprints and breast among other strokes. I can't wait for the National Championships later this month!
    As noted, PAC-12s are merely an NCAA qualifying meet for both Cal swim teams now. Durden sent his best swimmers to a LCM meet instead of PACs last season to prepare them better for Olympic Trials. Bears finished 3rd at PACs behind LSJU and 'SC. Cal finished 2nd at NCAAs, 'SC finished 13th, and LSJU finished 14th. Murphy, Prenot, and Pebley all medaled in Rio. Neither LSJU nor 'SC had any male 2016 American Olympians.

Bears may not win 2017 PACs, but may qualify more than the maximum 18 participants for NCAAs. Diver Connor Callahan may qualify, but potentially gets left home (along with qualified swimmers) if Bears are above 18 qualifiers and some don't project as NCAA scorers.

With reasonable diving facilities and coaching finally in place, Durden can fully integrate divers into the future NCAA mix. Divers count 0.5 against the 18 NCAA cap. Appears that Finn is blueshirting, so may be back in the mix over the next two seasons. While always a factor, diving has only cost a Durden team an NCAA title once since 2010. Bears have won three titles and finished second four times during that span.

Bears who are already safely into NCAAs: Murphy, Long, Cobleigh, Lynch, Hoppe, Josa, Whittle, Seliskar, Sand, Norman, Thomas, Jensen, and Pawel. Silverthorn, Kao, Coan, and Song, are on the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by dgong View Post
    Perhaps Durden will field a 200 free relay squad of Gutierrez/Jensen/Lynch/Sendyk in tomorrow's final as a dress rehearsal for NCAAs. Long swam the opening relay leg at last year's NCAAs in 19.58, but it's hard for me to gauge where he is this season after sitting out this fall. Long's 1:33.44 opening leg in the 800 free relay gives him a safe low B cut 200 free time so he has his invite to NCAAs. Gutierrez does not have a Day 2 individual event so putting him on the 200 free relay makes sense for keeping our 200 IM scoring hopefuls fresh.
    I agree that Long Gutierrez may be the ultimate option for NCs; he swam the 50 free multiple times yesterday, and topped out at 19.8. Ideally everyone would split an 18 or so, but I think a low 19 (tapered) split could be put on the 2nd leg.

The mystery of Ryan Murphy's relay schedule at Pac-12s continues; will he or Josa lead off the 400 medley relay tonight (to maybe get Josa another time for NCAA consideration; he could swim the 200 IM, 100 fly, and 100 back)?

I think it's possible that Murphy swims the 200 and 800 free relays but skips the 400. Gutierrez, Lynch, Sendyk, and Jensen in the 400 is probably better than that same lineup in the 200 since Jensen, Gutierrez, and maybe Lynch are all better 100 swimmers. The alternative 800 free relay has Josa or Coan on it, but Coan looks like he's about a 1:34-mid swimmer right now and I doubt he has much left to give.
    So 13 are qualified so far. Kao I think will probably make it, but Xie, Song (I think has time trialled two 200 backs that won't make it), Silverthorn (needs another second in his 200, but good to see some best times), and Coan will probably end up on the outside. Only big disappointment there is Xie who looked like he could be an immediate contributor. I think Ken Takahashi will make it in the 400 IM but he's probably tapered and won't factor in the points at NCAAs (same for Kao, probably Whittle). If Callahan qualifies through zones he's definitely going to NCAAs.
    Overall the performances have been a mixed bag. Top end guys look great, which is good because there are more of them than last year, but no one is making the jump from the middle-end of the roster. Backstroke behind Murphy is still a big issue.
    Does anyone know why Norman is out? With him, Lileikis, Burns, Gornay, and Green no longer swimming and Quah and the two freshmen not being on the team that's a lot left on the table. It's been a few years now of lot of the freshmen struggling and that may be a factor in some of this attrition. Quah getting eligible for next year would be huge.

Day 3 Finals

------

Pac-12 Championship records pervade in day 3 of Pac-12 Menís Swimming Championships

Federal Way, Wash. - California won four of the six titles on the third day of competition at the Pac-12 Men's Swimming Championships, held at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash.

400-yard Individual Medley
    ē California sophomore Andrew Seliskar claimed his second-straight Conference title in the event. Seliskarís time of 3:39.53 was good enough for an NCAA ĎAí Standard.
    ē Seliskar is the first student-athlete to successfully double-win in the 200-yard and 400-yard individual medley since Tom Wilkens of Stanford in 1996 and he has done it two years in a row.

100-yard Butterfly
    ē California junior Matthew Josa's time of 45.41 was good for a first-place finish in a very tight race.
    ē It is the third-straight year California has won the event and the fifth time in the last six years.
    ē Matthewís junior teammate Justin Lynch came in a close second in 45.47, Stanfordís junior Andrew Liang came in third in 45.52, and Arizona Stateís Tadas Duskiness came in fourth in a time of 45.71. All four athletes swam the NCAA ĎAí Standard.

100-yard Breaststroke
    ē California junior Connor Hoppe was third in a time of 52.38.

100-yard Backstroke
    ē California senior Ryan Murphy won the event in a Pac-12 Championship record of 44.76.

400-yard Medley Relay
    ē California's quartet of Murphy, Seliskar, Matthew and Jensen earned a first-place finish in the event with a time of 3:03.45.
    ē The Golden Bears won the event for the second-straight year.

Despite not winning a title on the night, Stanford remains in the lead.

Team Scores Through Event 14 (INCLUDES DIVING)
    1. Stanford - 588
    2. California - 523
    3. USC - 494
    4. Arizona State - 373
    5. Arizona - 246
    6. Utah - 167

https://pac-12.com/article/2017/03/0...-championships

------

2017 MENíS PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS: DAY 3 FINALS LIVE RECAP

https://swimswam.com/2017-mens-pac-1...ls-live-recap/

------

BEARS CONTINUE TO SHINE AT PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS

3/3/2017 10:49 PM | By: Cal Athletics

Andrew Seliskar, Matthew Josa and Ryan Murphy all won individual titles Friday at the Pac-12 Championships (Pac-12 Photo)

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/3/...pionships.aspx

-----
    Last edited by UrsusArctosCalifornicus; 03-03-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Cal Athletics

I agree that Long Gutierrez may be the ultimate option for NCs; he swam the 50 free multiple times yesterday, and topped out at 19.8. Ideally everyone would split an 18 or so, but I think a low 19 (tapered) split could be put on the 2nd leg.

The mystery of Ryan Murphy's relay schedule at Pac-12s continues; will he or Josa lead off the 400 medley relay tonight (to maybe get Josa another time for NCAA consideration; he could swim the 200 IM, 100 fly, and 100 back)?
    I think I have figured out the relay lineup choices. If you look at the Pac-12 top times on collegeswimming.com before this meet, our rankings in conference were:
    • 200 free - 1:16.94, 2nd to USC by 0.06 s
    • 400 free - 2:49.84, 1st over USC by 2.34 s
    • 800 free - 6:16.22, 2nd to Stanford by 0.64 s
    • 200 medley - 1:23.76, 1st over Arizona by 0.63s
    • 400 medley - 3:03.82, 1st over USC by 1.84

We had the largest cushion for error in the 400 free relay at this particular meet, and that's why Murphy is sitting out this last relay. Of course, things were cut a little close with that 400 medley relay ....

Who will be on tonight's relay? Jensen and Lynch are givens; I think the last two spots could go to any of: Gutierrez, Josa, Seliskar, Sendyk. My bet is Gutierrez and Seliskar. Sendyk is a dolphin kick genius and maximizes those 15m underwater, but oxygen needs take over in a 100.

So far, the team has improved its times nationally to:
    • 200 free - 1:16.46, 5th to Florida by 0.79s
    • 400 free - TBA, but Florida has a time of 2:47.09
    • 800 free - 6:12.07, 3rd to NC State by 2.25s
    • 200 medley - 1:22.31, 1st over NC State by 0.85s
    • 400 medley - 3:03.45, 2nd to Indiana by 0.17s

Based on historical patterns, a rested Cal swimmer could expect to drop 0.5s in a 50, 1s in a 100, and maybe 2.5s in a 200, compared to unrested but suited times.

Still hoping that Lileikis and Norman will be healthy enough to swim at NCs in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BRBear View Post
    I think it's possible that Murphy swims the 200 and 800 free relays but skips the 400. Gutierrez, Lynch, Sendyk, and Jensen in the 400 is probably better than that same lineup in the 200 since Jensen, Gutierrez, and maybe Lynch are all better 100 swimmers. The alternative 800 free relay has Josa or Coan on it, but Coan looks like he's about a 1:34-mid swimmer right now and I doubt he has much left to give.
    So 13 are qualified so far. Kao I think will probably make it, but Xie, Song (I think has time trialled two 200 backs that won't make it), Silverthorn (needs another second in his 200, but good to see some best times), and Coan will probably end up on the outside. Only big disappointment there is Xie who looked like he could be an immediate contributor. I think Ken Takahashi will make it in the 400 IM but he's probably tapered and won't factor in the points at NCAAs (same for Kao, probably Whittle). If Callahan qualifies through zones he's definitely going to NCAAs.
    Overall the performances have been a mixed bag. Top end guys look great, which is good because there are more of them than last year, but no one is making the jump from the middle-end of the roster. Backstroke behind Murphy is still a big issue.
    Does anyone know why Norman is out? With him, Lileikis, Burns, Gornay, and Green no longer swimming and Quah and the two freshmen not being on the team that's a lot left on the table. It's been a few years now of lot of the freshmen struggling and that may be a factor in some of this attrition. Quah getting eligible for next year would be huge.
    Nice observations and I wanted to respond with some of my own. It seems that a lot of high school juniors have crazy time drops that get them noticed by college coaches, and then hit plateaus during their senior years (and that sometimes continues to college). Even Seliskar, #1 ranked recruit in the c/o 2015, was not immune to this struggle over the past two years. No one probably remembers this, but Murphy had a comparatively poor Winter Nationals in December 2013 before turning it around for NCs in March 2014. The S&C program in college involves lots of plyo and power lifting (especially at Cal), which are different from the primarily body weight exercises typically employed by age group and high school teams (and honestly, it's better that way when athletes are still developing). Add in the crazy academic schedules by anyone studying hard sciences (typically 15-18 units per semester to stay on track to graduate, with limited summer school options), and I'm not surprised by the attrition.

Norman and Lileikis might be injured (distance swimming causes lots of shoulder injuries, and anyone that's immune is way out of the norm), and will hopefully be back by NCs. Yes, Burns, Gornay, and Green are no longer swimming, but each have different reasons that are not directly related to the team (interestingly enough, Gornay's father is still a PT for the team). Quah may not be eligible, but he's helped the others get better by just being present on the team, as we've discussed. I don't know about the "two freshmen" you've mentioned (I have a hunch), but they're really not relevant to the discussion unless they were forced to leave involuntarily.

Sometimes we can take a step back and think of the end goal for these student athletes (or, shall we say, scholar-athletes). Some want to reach the highest levels of the sport and will do whatever it takes to get there. Some are great on the national level, but realize that sports are a means to an end and look at the broader picture of balancing both academics and athletics (e.g., those that go on to medical/dental school, or law school, or Peace Corps/Teach for America or equivalent programs where prestige is important and DI athletics at the NC level would give them a boost compared to 4.0 Ivy leaguers). Some are in the sport for the camaraderie and to stay in shape. Hopefully no one is swimming/diving who hates it but feels compelled by a scholarship. No matter the outcome this year or next year or beyond, we can all be proud of everyone associated with the team.