Thread: Bear Beat USC 71-58 in Pac-12 first round

Bear Beat USC 71-58 in Pac-12 first round

Story: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2346

The Bears now get top-seeded OSU in the quarterfinal round.

Anigwe was terrific, and the Bears never got rattled, even when USC kept coming back and Cal kept turning the ball over.

GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by pearbear View Post
    Story: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2346

The Bears now get top-seeded OSU in the quarterfinal round.

Anigwe was terrific, and the Bears never got rattled, even when USC kept coming back and Cal kept turning the ball over.

GO BEARS!
    Yikes, just noticed typo in the title of this thread. Even though Anigwe was great, I did not mean she beat USC single-handedly!

Always a good day when we beat U$C. Go Bears!

great and inspired game!
    KA was unstoppable
    Range must be hurt ... pretty much confirmed today
    freshmen showing their potential
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Interesting ... many, myself included, criticize LG for just jamming the ball into Anigwe no matter what -- but even with three around her, she's a high-percentage scoring machine in the paint. Some games she's not quite as dominant, but overall, getting the ball to her as many times as possible, regardless of the number of defenders, might well be the highest percentage strategy for Cal. She's very, very good ...

And who else can you rely on? Asha Thomas can make open threes but she's small; Cowling is a very good player but not a big-time scorer; Mi'Cole Cayton and Courtney Range are complementary, and sometimes not even that. Davidson? Can't count on her especially because she's best in the same area of the floor Anigwe occupies.

If you got a horse, ride it ...
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Interesting ... many, myself included, criticize LG for just jamming the ball into Anigwe no matter what -- but even with three around her, she's a high-percentage scoring machine in the paint. Some games she's not quite as dominant, but overall, getting the ball to her as many times as possible, regardless of the number of defenders, might well be the highest percentage strategy for Cal. She's very, very good ...

And who else can you rely on? Asha Thomas can make open threes but she's small; Cowling is a very good player but not a big-time scorer; Mi'Cole Cayton and Courtney Range are complementary, and sometimes not even that. Davidson? Can't count on her especially because she's best in the same area of the floor Anigwe occupies.

USC had Simon and Tapley in foul trouble. Then again, I am not sure if USC had a plan to stop, or slow down, Anigwe.
    I would have done what Cal did. Feed the ball inside until they stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post

At least for yesterday: the women did a better job of getting Anigwe the ball vs. the men's efforts in getting the ball to Raab...

I hope that HC Gottlieb has the game film of USC's huge upset of Oregon State, 70-50, in Corvallis a couple of weeks ago. Btw, Troy held Anigwe to two field goals in each of two prior games vs Cal. In Berkeley, Simon had 11 baskets to KA's 2 and outscored her 24-10. Kristine seemed to get in rythmn by scoring the initial Cal 12 points to begin the 3rd quarter. This stretch vaulted her into the 30+ point range.

Oregon State possesses the top defense in the Pac 12 plus they have more height than Cal. I doubt that the Bears can throw the ball over the top with much success this morning to Anigwe. Cal will need the rest of the team to score in a balanced manner to pull the upset. Over the last 8 games (following the UCLA upset), Courtney Range has averaged 2 points versus 13 ppg earlier. Cal has only played the senior 13-14 minutes and has begun playing Cayton & Brown many more minutes.
    Jaelyn has scored 8 & 21 in the two Beaver battles this season. GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by iminoc View Post
    USC had Simon and Tapley in foul trouble. Then again, I am not sure if USC had a plan to stop, or slow down, Anigwe.
    I would have done what Cal did. Feed the ball inside until they stop you.
    I don't think anyone will disagree with feeding the ball inside until they stop you. As S71 points out, SC held Anigwe to 2 field goals in each of the prior games. Foul trouble and Simon's injury made a huge difference this game. The key is what do you do when teams stop you.

USC beating OSU by 20 points after losing to them by 14 points earlier is a shock. Seems like focusing on Wiese is always a good idea but it seems like stopping Gulich is equally important. It appears that USC beat them by harassing Wiese and Gulich into a lot of turnovers and poor shots. They also didn't get out rebounded by much which is usually OSU's main advantages over their opponents. Actually when we played them earlier, I thought Cayton did a pretty decent job on Wiese but Pivec and Brown killed us.

I think the Bears need to look to push the pace as much as possible. Of course, that generally leads to TOs, and that would be deadly again OSU. But if Bears don't push, they get tentative and then force the ball inside in halfcourt, and that's not a recipe for success against Oregon State.

Riding on Anigwe is effective grade school basketball, but Cal won't beat any good team with that offense. Part of the turnover problem is the forced passes to Anigwe. I imagine that part of the shooting problem with the other players is that they rely on Anigwe and lose confidence in their abilities.