Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cal Vs OSU at game

Cal Vs OSU at game

First quarter truly awful. 7 points and probably 3/4 of possessions resulted in turnovers. Ugh

We scored more points in last 45 seconds than we did in first 12 minutes. 8/0 run and down 23-15

Why not play CJ and Kristine together? Our other forwards aren't doing as well as those two.

Men's and Women's teams are so similar. Talented but they are out-thought, out-hustled, and out-fundamentaled...very tentative. You'd think that given our University, we would at least always be the smartest tea on the floor--but neither team plays with a lot of BBall IQ. They don't seem to know opponents tendencies and how to correct their own weaknesses. Not good.
    ~The Bear will not quilt. The Bear will not dye.~

I watched the second and third quarters. Better ball movement than against SC. Davidson or Brown has to take the 17 foot shot above the freethrow line. They don't have to make them all, but just 1 in 3 will change the defense. They really don't seem to recognize when they have a shot and when they don't. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by blungld View Post
    Men's and Women's teams are so similar.
    To me our women today looked immeasurably than our men did last night - at least our women fought hard the entire game and made a few runs. But guards win - Wiese finished with 26 and Pivec with 17, together shooting over 50% from the field and on threes. Aside from CJ and Kristine we shot 7 for 35, exactly 20%. I'm hoping that next season Sara and Kianna can help us there.

Definitely feel bad for Anigwe. She is carrying all the load and needs help. She scored 26 and no other Bear scored more than 6. Cowling didn't score. Range and Cayton were a combined 3-for-17. And it wasn't exactly great OSU defense. They just don't shoot well. Gottlieb HAS to recruit shooters. Oregon State won because it made its jump shots and Cal didn't. It's the same old story. The players just aren't getting better. The rest of the Bears besides Anigwe were 10-for-41 FG. No wonder why she's being triple teamed. So major changes need to happen in the program in the offseason because why would Anigwe want two more years of this if it's not going to change?

3-17 for 3, why even bother. Oh and 4-7 for free throws, meaning we were not going inside at all.

The team doesn't need a superstar outside shooter so much as reasonably competent shooters at every position. Oregon didn't even guard some players who didn't ever look at the basket.

"The team doesn't need a superstar outside shooter so much as reasonably competent shooters at every position"... what bearchamp said. +1

Looking forward to seeing what we look like next year, I will miss Court tho, she didn't appear to be herself down the stretch, but I will miss her hope she's successful in whatever she does going forward. And I'm hoping KC finds a home if she has one more year of playing eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    To me our women today looked immeasurably than our men did last night - at least our women fought hard the entire game and made a few runs. But guards win - Wiese finished with 26 and Pivec with 17, together shooting over 50% from the field and on threes. Aside from CJ and Kristine we shot 7 for 35, exactly 20%. I'm hoping that next season Sara and Kianna can help us there.
    I took blungld comment that "Men's and Women's teams are so similar" to mean that they both have bad offenses. Next year will be better and we will have 2 players that can create their own shots (Brown and Smith), but we really need to have a more balanced offense if we are to go from 10th place last year to 7th-8th place this year to 5th-6th place next year in the conference. WSU will be tough next year and Oregon, Colorado and Arizona are improving. And we have trouble with Utah (which could be the weakest team).
    Last edited by GATC; 03-03-2017 at 02:36 PM.

After the game I know the team was disappointed in the lost but why didn't they even come back to the bench and acknowledge the fans and the Cal Band? After shaking hands with OSU they huddle on the OSU side of the court then just ran off the court. I left as the Cal Alma Mater was being played - did the team come back out? Were they too anxious to get back to studying. No excuse for showing bad manners to their supporters. I am more disappointed in their behavior than the loss.

The worst part of our offense is when we run the clock down to the last couple of seconds, after a complete lack of movement and screening, and then having someone toss up a total desperation shot that has no prayer. What a waste of our talent on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Why not play CJ and Kristine together? Our other forwards aren't doing as well as those two.
    Yes, I've wonder the same thing. Maybe some smart poster can help explain this decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshadetree View Post
    After the game I know the team was disappointed in the lost but why didn't they even come back to the bench and acknowledge the fans and the Cal Band? After shaking hands with OSU they huddle on the OSU side of the court then just ran off the court. I left as the Cal Alma Mater was being played - did the team come back out? Were they too anxious to get back to studying. No excuse for showing bad manners to their supporters. I am more disappointed in their behavior than the loss.
    That is exactly how I felt, and was going to post!

I live locally, so my efforts to get there weren't as precious as others. But I will question whether I will return next year.