Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northwestern 3 Cal 1 - T 5

Northwestern 3 Cal 1 - T 5

Cal had the tying run at the plate just now, so in true fashion Ninemire decided a steal attempt was best. Not successful.

Almost as good as Palm Springs 2008, when she couldn't figure out who would be a pinch hitter against MS ST, chose a player, decided against it, and finally chose Brittany LaRosa, who clearly had no desire to do so. One of the more uncomfortable things I have witnessed in my life.

The Cal players are really, really talented. I have nothing to say for the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by CalFanatic View Post
    Cal had the tying run at the plate just now, so in true fashion Ninemire decided a steal attempt was best. Not successful.

Almost as good as Palm Springs 2008, when she couldn't figure out who would be a pinch hitter against MS ST, chose a player, decided against it, and finally chose Brittany LaRosa, who clearly had no desire to do so. One of the more uncomfortable things I have witnessed in my life.

The Cal players are really, really talented. I have nothing to say for the coaching.

Fair comment. Bats are dead and to be kind, on a better defensive glove day it's 2-1 with 5 hits not 3-1 with 9.

Strategy you aptly covered. All true.

Signs of life!!

Had our chances, 2 ks looking.

Game

🐻
    Last edited by diegobear78; 03-03-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Cal players and coaching staff overlooked [3-10] Northwestern while looking ahead to the nitecap against #1 Florida (17-1). The team was flat and passive both on offense and defense. Bears had runners on 2nd & 3rd base in two different innings with one out and no outs and only Kobie Pettis delivered a sac fly to plate a single run. No bunt squeeze attempts with fast base runners on base to tie the game late? Cal deserved
    the loss in an obvious trap game. Ninemire saved ace pitcher, Zoe Conley, for the SEC opponent while using the bullpen to try to beat the Wildcats. NW got 3 runs on 9 hits. I think that Cal needs to drop Kourtney Shaw from live action. NW only had one hard hit double but she walks too many and doesn't appear to be sharp. Few swinging strikes...Maybe a three pitcher staff of Conley, Sutherland-Finch and Trzcinski can get the job done. GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-03-2017 at 01:40 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear

Cal gets swept, losing to #3 Florida 4-0!

Cal only managed 3 hits. Conley went the distance and took the loss. Cal's hitting, though winning is still struggling. One thing I noticed when I attended the UOP game maybe because of the 7 slap hitters in the line-up Cal takes lots of pitches. The coaches seem more interested in playing small ball wanting their players to work the count. Even UOP hitters were swinging at 1st or 2nd pitches and were more aggressive at the plate. They batters are constantly looking at their wrist bands! I still can't believe it that in 16 games we have yet to hit a homer (UOP have 7). Wonder who will hit the first homer..Pettis, Pogue, Aldrete, or someone else? I had a laugh at the Cal vs UOP game, when they had a home run inning .

Lindsay Rood hit Cal's first homerun to CF against Northwestern. The Bears are off of the schneid! I always wonder whether Ninemire is giving her hitters the take sign until they take a strike. The Bears seldom attack the 1st pitch aggressively like you noted...GO BEARS!

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    Lindsay Rood hit Cal's first homerun to CF against Northwestern. The Bears are off of the schneid! I always wonder whether Ninemire is giving her hitters the take sign until they take a strike. The Bears seldom attack the 1st pitch aggressively like you noted...GO BEARS!
    Oops thanks for the correction. Didn't just the stats of the 1st game.

I've seen coach bench a player for swinging at a first pitch strike right down the middle.

I've seen Cal hitters take fast balls right down Broadway many times so that's why I was asking...How about the lefty slap hitters? It seems that they have more freedom to swing away but I could be wrong. GO BEARS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by calfan2011 View Post
    I've seen coach bench a player for swinging at a first pitch strike right down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by calfan2011 View Post
    Very sad.

Cal looks flat again after four innings of nothingness. Zoe Conley is pitching fantastic but the Bears offensive is invisible. Wake up, Cal, or this weekend could be looked back upon as your *Waterloo*. Iowa has lost 11 games in a row. Cal is facing a freshman with an ERA in the mid-4 range. McCue cannot even sacrifice bunt. She tries to bunt a high rise ball and then strikes out. JJ is swinging and missing a lot because she is pulling off of the ball. She needs to keep her eye on it to hit it. The Bears have four singles but cannot hit in the clutch. In the bottom of the fourth, Cal bunched two hits but Pogue struckout on three pitches.

JJ leads off the B6th with a single that she runs into a double. Kobie Pettis follows w/ a line drive to RF to plate a run. Bears 1, Hawkeyes 0. Conley pitches complete game shutout and ties her high for strikeouts: 8.

GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-04-2017 at 08:54 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear

Cal beats Iowa 1-0!

..a win is a win!

When you have a coach stuck in 2003, you can expect quite a few 1-0 games.

Zoe is immensely talented, happy to see her succeeding at Cal.

True Blue Golden Bear

Here we go again, get away day vs Indiana!

Cal's lineup!

Cal already in the hole trailing 1-0..after 1 inning. Indiana going with their top pitcher who has an era of 3.79 so far. In fairness though, Indiana has played a much tougher schedule than Cal, which included 3 pac-9 teams, and high HM teams, Texas and So carolina who they planned each twice. Cal is threatening in the T-2..so keep fingers cross.

True Blue Golden Bear

A grand salami for Danielle Bower

True Blue Golden Bear

A grand salami for Danielle Bower