Thread: Cynthia Cooper-Dyke gone

Cynthia Cooper-Dyke gone

I guess it's no longer OK to be mediocre in the Pac12, no matter your name recognition.

Wow, that's tough. non-story

Quote Originally Posted by pearbear View Post
    I guess it's no longer OK to be mediocre in the Pac12, no matter your name recognition.
    But she beat OSU by 20 points and her winning % at USC is better than LG's winning % the last 2 years.

Actually the bottom 6 teams (WSU, Cal, USC, Colorado, Utah, Arizona) are only separated by 1 game.

Very competitive conference.

Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    But she beat OSU by 20 points and her winning % at USC is better than LG's winning % the last 2 years.

Actually the bottom 6 teams (WSU, Cal, USC, Colorado, Utah, Arizona) are only separated by 1 game.

Very competitive conference.
    Another sleeping giant about to awaken. There is now no way out. The PAC12 is becoming a coach's league, and you have to be able to outcoach other outstanding coaches in order to succeed.

hire her

weird because USC kept michael cooper for a while with terrible records

had a great trio of incoming recruits

the knock on her was defections

Cynthia Cooper-Dyke has had a short and marred run at every school she's been at. Great, great player -- but a mediocre coach. If she hadn't been a great, great player who went to USC, she would never have gotten that job. USC mucked it all up when they dumped Mark Trakh after an injury-plagued year (look at what he's done at New Mexico State) to hire Michael Cooper, another mediocre coach.

There's talent on that roster, but they need a real coach, not a marquee name -- though rumor has it Beth Burns is next in line, despite being run off her last two jobs.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

So when are we making changes?

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    So when are we making changes?
    Would we have done better if our current roster had a different coach/coaching staff? How much further would the Bears had advanced or individual players improve if say Tara or someone else had been their coach? Or is the problem mainly based on our current roster? Will just adding the new players next year make all the difference? Is that enough? Would a coaching change if it is even possible negatively impact our current/returning players and incoming recruits/commits? Would previous recruits like Plum and Ionescu have chosen Cal if we had a different coach or was it that hard for them to choose which school because they wanted to play for coach LG? It seems like all our players really like coach LG who is really warm and personable.
    Last edited by 3Cats4CAL; 03-04-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Cynthia Cooper-Dyke has had a short and marred run at every school she's been at. Great, great player -- but a mediocre coach. If she hadn't been a great, great player who went to USC, she would never have gotten that job. USC mucked it all up when they dumped Mark Trakh after an injury-plagued year (look at what he's done at New Mexico State) to hire Michael Cooper, another mediocre coach.

There's talent on that roster, but they need a real coach, not a marquee name -- though rumor has it Beth Burns is next in line, despite being run off her last two jobs.
    I dont think it will be Beth Burns, unless something else changes at USC.

Quote Originally Posted by kat0189 View Post
    hire her

weird because USC kept michael cooper for a while with terrible records

had a great trio of incoming recruits

the knock on her was defections
    USC record with Michael Cooper was 72-57
    USC record with CCD was 70-57
    Both were there for 4 years.

Eight players left(or were told they weren't wanted) during the last 3 years of CCD term. 3 of the 8 gave up playing basketball, the other 5 are at different schools. 2 additional players didn't play, or finish their senior year at USC(Crook and Barratt). Neither of those were CCD's direct fault.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Cats4CAL View Post
    Would we have done better if our current roster had a different coach/coaching staff? How much further would the Bears had advanced or individual players improve if say Tara or someone else had been their coach? Or is the problem mainly based on our current roster? Will just adding the new players next year make all the difference? Is that enough? Would a coaching change if it is even possible negatively impact our current/returning players and incoming recruits/commits? Would previous recruits like Plum and Ionescu have chosen Cal if we had a different coach or was it that hard for them to choose which school because they wanted to play for coach LG? It seems like all our players really like coach LG who is really warm and personable.
    Our current roster is the result of several years of LG's recruiting, so if we don't think it's set up for success, that falls on her. As for being warm and personable, that's great. but we're not running a day camp.

Our current roster is the result of several years of LG's recruiting, so if we don't think it's set up for success, that falls on her. As for being warm and personable, that's great. but we're not running a day camp.
    Our current roster does not include 4 guards who for various reasons left the program. Next year we should have a better-balanced roster and I expect better results.

Cooper-Dyke's PAC12 conference record the past two years = 11-25. LG's conference record during that same period = 10-26.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Our current roster does not include 4 guards who for various reasons left the program. Next year we should have a better-balanced roster and I expect better results.
    I remember the Next Year convos after last year's season too. We'll see.

I remember the Next Year convos after last year's season too. We'll see.
    I agree. I'm expecting better results next season but if we lose 2 more guards or if the problem really is coaching then I'll be wrong.

It's eerie that our men's team is experiencing many of the same problems - generally good defense but can't put the ball in the basket with sufficient frequency. Probably different causes and certainly different cures as our men will lose 5 seniors/grads and probably another to the NBA.
    Last edited by stu; 03-04-2017 at 12:54 PM.