Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Brown Thread

Hey tsuba, you ever have mono?

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    This post inspires me to repeat my projection of Ivan as the next Tim Duncan (who, by the way, had the benefit of 4 years at Wake Forest before he went pro - in the era before that became financially absurd for the player and his family)
    Duncan would have been the No. 1 pick had he left after his sophomore season. You can't say the same about Rabb.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue1999 View Post
    Hey tsuba, you ever have mono?
    Nope. I'm also aware that Ivan battled it, which likely affected his training in the offseason. I'm sure it's been a factor in his decline this season, but if you're trying to use that as the main excuse I'm wouldn't be fully on board with that. There's various factors, as I explained, IMO, as to why Ivan hasn't performed to his potential. That's one of them.

I'm not using it as an excuse, just a fact. He's less than a year out from it. In my experience it's a multiple year deal to get back to anywhere near 100%. Frankly what he's done this year playing through that and going to school has been amazing. There were times early after I had it where as little as 5 minutes of moderate cardio would lay me out for 2 or 3 days. First day was involuntarily nap time. It can be a *****, and it lingers because there is no medicine for it. Rabb lost a ton of weight coming into the season, but he's just now starting to show some bulk and definition coming back. Early on you could also see how flush his face and chest would get out on the court, man do I know what it feels like when you look like that. Feels like you're breathing through a wet sponge. Not seeing that any more with him now. He's young and an elite athlete, so he'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Duncan would have been the No. 1 pick had he left after his sophomore season. You can't say the same about Rabb.
    Saw Duncan play as a senior and he was a dominant player. Number 1 overall pick, rookie of the year, NBA all-star as a rookie. Rabb's a complementary player.

John Collins is the better comp for Rabb. Unheralded as a recruit, OK as a freshman, but exploded as a sophomore. Collins will be picked ahead of Rabb in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Saw Duncan play as a senior and he was a dominant player. Number 1 overall pick, rookie of the year, NBA all-star as a rookie. Rabb's a complementary player.

John Collins is the better comp for Rabb. Unheralded as a recruit, OK as a freshman, but exploded as a sophomore. Collins will be picked ahead of Rabb in this draft.
    Collins is an excellent comp in many ways and probably Rabb's biggest competitor (so to speak) in that late teens part of the draft. He absolutely exploded this year and put up some seriously impressive numbers. And his numbers are even more remarkable when you consider he still played less than 30 mins a game. Probably a better defensive player at this point too. I hate to say it but I'd probably go with Collins right now.

I'm not using it as an excuse, just a fact. He's less than a year out from it. In my experience it's a multiple year deal to get back to anywhere near 100%. Frankly what he's done this year playing through that and going to school has been amazing. There were times early after I had it where as little as 5 minutes of moderate cardio would lay me out for 2 or 3 days. First day was involuntarily nap time. It can be a *****, and it lingers because there is no medicine for it. Rabb lost a ton of weight coming into the season, but he's just now starting to show some bulk and definition coming back. Early on you could also see how flush his face and chest would get out on the court, man do I know what it feels like when you look like that. Feels like you're breathing through a wet sponge. not seeing that any more with him now. He's young and an elite athlete, so he'll be fine.
    My daughter had it as a soph in high school. It was tough. No energy, lot weight, absences, grades suffered. It took her more than a year to recover and she still seems susceptible, more than the average person, to the flu.

I don't care what you guys say.
    Cal is a great place for Jordan Brown to go to school, particularly coming from Roseville!
    98 miles from Woodcreek to Haas.
    #1 Public University in the World.
    18 years old.
    Last stop before embarking on a lifestyle of endless travel and adult demands.
    Done Deal!
    Last edited by concordtom; 03-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    I don't care what you guys say.
    Cal is a great place for Jordan Brown to go to school, particularly coming from Roseville!
    98 miles from Woodcreek to Haas.
    #1 Public University in the World.
    18 years old.
    Last stop before embarking on a lifestyle of endless travel and adult demands.
    Done Deal!
    I agree with you. But If Brown is looking seriously at being a one and done and most scouts feel he has that ability it makes sense for him to go to a place that will "highlight" his abilities via style of play etc. But if he is looking to help build a program and stay a few years then Cal does make a lot of sense. I really hope he wants what Cal offers, both on and off the court.

This makes perfect sense. It's clear you can't be a one-and-done lottery pick if you go to Cal. Especially if your last name is Brown. Never gonna happen.

I'm not using it as an excuse, just a fact. He's less than a year out from it. In my experience it's a multiple year deal to get back to anywhere near 100%. Frankly what he's done this year playing through that and going to school has been amazing. There were times early after I had it where as little as 5 minutes of moderate cardio would lay me out for 2 or 3 days. First day was involuntarily nap time. It can be a *****, and it lingers because there is no medicine for it. Rabb lost a ton of weight coming into the season, but he's just now starting to show some bulk and definition coming back. Early on you could also see how flush his face and chest would get out on the court, man do I know what it feels like when you look like that. Feels like you're breathing through a wet sponge. Not seeing that any more with him now. He's young and an elite athlete, so he'll be fine.
    I too had mono...my experience was when I was 21 and in the service (and playing service basketball for a base team)...I lost a whole season and then it took me about 2 more months (a total of 6 months) until I thought I was feeling pretty good...of course thinking I was feeling pretty good after THAT 6 months may have just meant I was 50%, but 50% felt good...I feel that his performance this year is phenomenal under the circumstances...

Quote Originally Posted by TexWoodyGiants View Post
    My daughter had it as a soph in high school. It was tough. No energy, lot weight, absences, grades suffered. It took her more than a year to recover and she still seems susceptible, more than the average person, to the flu.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearmanpg View Post
    I too had mono...my experience was when I was 21 and in the service (and playing service basketball for a base team)...I lost a whole season and then it took me about 2 more months (a total of 6 months) until I thought I was feeling pretty good...of course thinking I was feeling pretty good after THAT 6 months may have just meant I was 50%, but 50% felt good...I feel that his performance this year is phenomenal under the circumstances...
    I had mono later than anyone else being discussed here, so maybe my experience was somewhat different. Honestly I don't really know when I got it, all I know was I had a massive drop in energy and after living with it for a while went to the doctor and she said "You had mono." I said, "Had? I still feel bad. That's why I'm here." This was right before she told me there is no medicine and you just have to work through it on your own. So what I went through was I would improve to a point, or think I was improved, then have a setback. Sometimes they were small and sometimes they were bigger, but they never seemed quite as bad as the original bout. At its worst mono had completely obliterated my immune system and literally eliminated exercise from my life. I went from running for miles daily in the hills, often with ankle weights, to unable to stay awake after walking around the office at work and from rarely catching colds and never having allergies to dealing with both constantly. It was terrible. Oh and as a bonus I couldn't drink alcohol either because even a sip or two would make me drowsy, often but not always to the point of involuntary sleep, and then give me a multiple day hangover like I'd gone crazy. Good times.

FWIW: It was in my early 20s. Was working 4-5 separate jobs and taking 16 units that semester. Since it hit mid-semester, had to drop out of school. Spent two weeks at UCLA Hospital. Don't remember any or much subsequent lack of energy (in fact, I remember being pretty frisky toward the end of my hospital stay), and having to make a choice whether to catch-up and drop out of school -- I've always felt that dropping out of school was the easy (or even coward's) way out. Was in the music department. The break caused me to decide to drop out of school, period, to really focus on music. Got an extraordinarily tiny cabin in Topanga Canyon and started playing jam sessions all over the L.A. Basin - even took a gig as the extra hours pianist in a club in Pasadena. Was playing a 2-hour live gig, with interview, on KPFA the night that Miles Davis' Kind of Blue hit the radio playlists. After two years, I decided to finish school and came up here to finish (which majorly changed the course of my life), but not for another 10 years (after a lot more music, here, in New York, L.A. and Paris, not to mention LSD - it didn't take much). In any case, for whatever reason, I don't remember an extended and/or slow recovery. I wonder whether the much greater availability of hospitalization at that time may have contributed to my relatively quick recovery.

This makes perfect sense. It's clear you can't be a one-and-done lottery pick if you go to Cal. Especially if your last name is Brown. Never gonna happen.
    This.

I'm rooting for Mathews and Gonzaga to win the whole thing. Just imagine, he'll be the first Cal alum since forever to win a national championship in basketball.