Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Off-Season: Comfort Vs. Shake-Up

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Thanks for the benefit of your own analysis, We now know exactly how our coaching staff thinks. And it is pretty shocking.
    You mean we now know that the coaching staff thinks practicing free throws is important?... Hallelujah!!

LOL, we all know you already thought you knew everything about what our coaching staff is thinking, and doing, and its impact on each player -- as if and actual analysis (which you specifically requested from me, btw, you can look it up) or facts could change your pre-formed opinion!

At least fans like GATC can be honest and acknowledge that some of their posts can be influenced by emotion, which I can respect. I don't have a lot of respect for fans who automatically assume that from watching a few games, they know more about the players, the plays and the coaches, and all of their thoughts, motivations and influences, than do those actually part of the program.

And I don't have a lot of respect for posters who give lip-service to being "not an expert, but..." (you can look it up) then act like Know-it-alls, who can't be bothered to examine their own assumptions. Especially when their 'expertise' includes such nuggets as predicting better results because Talia Caldwell improved her FT form or Eliza her jumpshot (yup, you can look 'em up!). How did your 'analysis' work out there, coach??

Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
    You mean we now know that the coaching staff thinks practicing free throws is important?... Hallelujah!!

LOL, we all know you already thought you knew everything about what our coaching staff is thinking, and doing, and its impact on each player -- as if and actual analysis (which you specifically requested from me, btw, you can look it up) or facts could change your pre-formed opinion!

At least fans like GATC can be honest and acknowledge that some of their posts can be influenced by emotion, which I can respect. I don't have a lot of respect for fans who automatically assume that from watching a few games, they know more about the players, the plays and the coaches, and all of their thoughts, motivations and influences, than do those actually part of the program.

And I don't have a lot of respect for posters who give lip-service to being "not an expert, but..." (you can look it up) then act like Know-it-alls, who can't be bothered to examine their own assumptions. Especially when their 'expertise' includes such nuggets as predicting better results because Talia Caldwell improved her FT form or Eliza her jumpshot (yup, you can look 'em up!). How did your 'analysis' work out there, coach??
    Deleted
    Last edited by annarborbear; 03-10-2017 at 11:34 AM.

I came on here and deleted some of my posts because I do feel badly if a coach is coming on here and actually reading and responding to some of this stuff. It used to be that fans would gather in bars after games and share their own non-expert opinions with other non-experts late into the evening. Then came the Internet, and things became more rapid and numerous and in real-time. But the process is still the same - "Tastes Great! Less Filling". If I were a coach, even a Super Bowl winner or an NCAA champion, I would definitely stay off of these places. I acknowledge that my own posts represent no expertise whatsover and can be quite emotional, as anyone reading them can no doubt tell. But the process will continue and fans like me will continue to gather and offer them up. I do hope the coaching staff can turn it around next year, as do all Cal fans.

Wait, what coach is on here reading? Did one post smthing? I think they know better than to do that.

I do know that prospective players and their families have read this board, as do friends and family of current players. I also suspect that someone in ops monitors the board from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    I do hope the coaching staff can turn it around next year, as do all Cal fans.
    After reading the bios of all the other Pac12 women's basketball coaches in the past couple of months, I finally read the bios of our coaches just now. Their bios are REALLY impressive and in one LG raves about one coach's "deft ability with X’s and O’s." Based on the track record of our coaches, the ratings of players by professional services and the changes in personnel of the other teams, barring injuries we should be in the top 4 in the conference next year.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    I finally read the bios of our coaches just now. Their bios are REALLY impressive and in one LG raves about one coach's "deft ability with X’s and O’s.
    This is not a criticism of any of the coaches but wouldn't you expect their bios to be impressive? They aren't going to post anything negative, since I'm sure LG wrote them!
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 03-11-2017 at 09:50 AM.

I highly doubt LG has anything to do with coach bios other than to supply a quote. Most of the time they look the exact same as the previous school they were at and just updated with new information each year.

MB posted the Troy/Clovis West information in the Girls Basketball Championship thread, but the comments are relevant here. I've been very optimistic about what Kianna Smith will add to the team next year but the comment made by the Clovis West coach about Kianna Smith being a difference maker was significant because it was in reference to the difference between Clovis West blowing out highly rated teams and this game. She will help address some of the issues of a one dimensional offense and fatigue from playing a short bench.

Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
    I don't claim to be very knowledgeable -- what I do know is the limitations on what we don't know as spectators. Without being able to see what each player came to Cal with (or started a season with) and how quickly/well they learn and apply new skills and concepts, we don't really know how much good coaching has or hasn't taken place.

I do know that Charmin had the chance to learn Tara's strategies and methods up close for years as both a player and coach. That Gottlieb was exposed to other coaches besides Boyle, and Kai and Wendale further diversify the influences available to draw on. To assume that they've only considered one system without alternatives or ongoing assessment seems much more like a leap of logic to fit a narrative based only on the end results you get to see, rather than likely reality.

Just because you see "denial" from what little you view and hear, doesn't mean the coaching staff doesn't act differently behind the scenes.... Most coaches will try to put a positive spin on things in their public statements, and LG appears to do this very conscientiously. Your posts start with so many assumptions though, they risk becoming 'alternative facts.'

I also know from coaching 9 & 10 year-olds -- some kids get it better and faster than others. Some I explain it to in multiple ways, twenty times, and they still can't apply it in game situations. Others make it look easy and can adjust on the fly, even when I do a poorer job of explaining something. Not knowing what each coach and player started with or how much time was spent on coaching a system or making adjustments makes it extremely hard to compare coaches objectively, no?

I do know that there has been definite, significant improvement from last year to this, despite the frustrating results (and I would agree that significant improvement is still needed). But the coaches did pick Cal to finish 6th in the preseason, and were closer than some of the inflated expectations it seems a lot of fans on here had, based on Cal's potential talent ceiling.

But I don't agree that Cal started with such a talent or athletic advantage over other teams, as the tv announcers are fond of repeating. They have length. When the starting lineup includes Range, Davidson and Thomas (as it did for much of the year), it's not especially quick or athletic. The freshman are moreso, but of course they're freshman and have other challenges.

As Stu has said many times (and others seem to discount), Cal was at a decided disadvantage at guard, and this is probably the biggest factor in the poor performance the last 2 years. Even with Green there was a disadvantage, and then she was basically replaced this year by a freshman, Cayton (and some by an out of position Cowling). There hasn't been a guard who can make plays consistently, when needed; and as talented as Kristine is (though still quite raw), she needs someone to get the ball to her.

So the fact that there was improvement from year to year despite a loss at the weakest, most important position (Green didn't help the shooting %s but she led the team in assist/gm while turning it over at the same rate as AT (though if my eye test recalls correctly, many of those were of the airmail passes into the stands variety rather than forcing lobs to the post)) makes it seem like there must have been positive coaching and player developments.

Last year, the team shot 43.8% from the field (40.1% excluding Kristine) and held opponents to 39.9%. This year it was 46% (42.3% excluding Kristine) with opponents at 37.7%. Last year the team averaged 16.0 assists and 17.8 TOs per game, this year 16.3 and 16.7. Unlike last year, Cal didn't really get blown out except by UW (who had the capability to do that to a lot of teams) and had no bad losses. Some of these may not seem like enough (and obviously more improvement is needed), but in a conference generally considered more competitive than last year, I think there's evidence of moving in the right direction -- and if the problem was just a matter of "other coaches catching on to LG's system" wouldn't they be increasingly shutting it down, rather than Cal upping its scoring from 58.3 to 68.3ppg in conference?

I tend to agree with Clay's first argument about bad luck with backcourt recruits, because the issues with Hind, Jefflo, Green, Plum and Ionescu all seemed distinct, with no apparent pattern. (I would add that along with close losses, the stats people would probably say that close losses in recruiting are even more of a crapshoot).

Also Range getting hurt didn't help, as the team finally seemed to have made progress with legit 3pt shooting options (as this board has long clamored for); and the way her numbers fell off a cliff indicates that it wasn't a coaching issue.

For next year, I don't know (it's tough to deal with but just a fact sometimes) what may be needed to be done differently, and won't have even some sense until we see what next year's players bring. In general, I know a team needs playmakers to make plays in and out of the system; the good teams usually have 2 or 3 that can do it reliably, and Cal has only had 1, who as a post is reliant on others to get her the ball.

As this is starting to also tend to agree with Clay's second argument about recruiting, it occurs to me that what ends up happening may be a blend of continuing gradual improvements in certain areas and significant shifts in others, as personnel allows. I imagine the solutions (fingers crossed), like the problems, will be more varied and complex than you assume.
    Thank you for all your info and analysis. So it seems like from many comments etc that a one of the key needed components is to have an explosive dominate guard/point guard like Wiesner, Plum, Inonescu, and our own Brittney Boyd?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Cats4CAL View Post
    Thank you for all your info and analysis. So it seems like from many comments etc that a one of the key needed components is to have an explosive dominate guard/point guard like Wiesner, Plum, Inonescu, and our own Brittney Boyd?
    Hopefully Kianna Smith will bring some more of that next year -- she continues to get a lot of praise! I've never seen her play and haven't heard whether she's more of a true point guard or combo type, but if she can penetrate and create shots for herself and others, it'd be a big help.... Being a coach's kid with a high bball iq should help too.

Haven't heard as much about Styles, but I assume she's more of a forward. Still, hopefully she and Brown, who looked better toward the end of the season, can provide some more explosive offense from that position.

(I wouldn't want to seem greedy (--bad karma), but as Kat posted there's apparently another explosive scorer back on the market too, and I feel like a little more guard depth is always a good thing to have.)

Saw Styles p0laqy about a month ago against Salesian. She is a wing but she played mostly inside in this game. She is about 6;tall. She went against 6'5" Angel Jackson and had to out maneuver her as Angle was too strong for her inside. She shot maybe one there this game. I checked her records and she only shot 20 for the season. She in my point of view is not as athletic as Brown. But she is athletic. With all the wings we have, I think she would be a spot player.

I don't see Styles or Smith as a dynamic perimeter scorer or lead guard. Both are very good players with lots of skills, but neither is a lights-out shooter (Smith 31% from three on 134 attempts (four a game); Styles doesn't shoot threes) or a point guard.

Shooters are hard to come by, as are point guards.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    I don't see Styles or Smith as a dynamic perimeter scorer or lead guard. Both are very good players with lots of skills, but neither is a lights-out shooter (Smith 31% from three on 134 attempts (four a game); Styles doesn't shoot threes) or a point guard.

Shooters are hard to come by, as are point guards.
    -what do you think about Stanford's recruit point guard Kianna Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Cats4CAL View Post
    -what do you think about Stanford's recruit point guard Kianna Williams?

Only seen video but looks dynamite, like Moriah Jefferson type