Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT-2017 CIF CA Girls Basketball Championships [OPEN Division]

Basketball OT-2017 CIF CA Girls Basketball Championships [OPEN Division]

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/M...-division-.htm

NorCal Girls Open has some ackward matchups. Top seed Mitty (25-2) hosts SHC who they have played twice already. On the same side of the bracket, St Marys-Stockton hosts Salesian. Rams prevailed by 22 earlier this season.

Pinewood is 24-3 and has only lost to Mitty & BOD in Northern California. The Panthers will get a rematch vs the Dragons in Los Altos Hills. Carondolet #2 seed will host Cardinal Newman of Santa Rosa. These two teams have not met yet. Carondolet did upset St Marys in Stockton and defeated Salesian at home to earn their ranking.

Clovis West is the top seed in the SoCal Girls Open and has beaten many of these teams this season. They lost to Mitty in OT by 1 point and defeated second seed, Long Beach Poly, also in OT in Hawaii by 3 points. Clovis West already hosted Troy of Fullerton and crushed 'em by 27 points. Kianna Smith, McDonald's AA and top Cal recruit, is Troy High's top player. Here's Kianna Smith's stat line c/o of Max Preps:
    http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kian...htm#year=16-17

For other Cal fans, here is the boxscore of Pinewood's 11 point victory over La Jolla Country Day down in San Diego at the beginning of the season. Alaysia Styles, a 6-3 PF, had 25 points and 12 rebounds in the loss.
    http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-...vEq6MBSU3A.htm

Go CCS! GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-06-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Surprised that Carondolet got the two seed...my pick is Mitty Vs Pinewood fighting for the trip to State. Pinewood gave the Monarchs all they could handle on Friday despite Pinewood having one of their best players on the shelf due to injury. I understand she will be ready for Norcal.

Archbishop Mitty and Clovis West have impressive results in state. The Monarchs are undefeated in CA and only had two close games, Clovis West & Pinewood. AM has handled SoCal #3 seed Mission Hills by 20 points, Carondolet by 16 in Concord, Bishop O'Dowd 2x by 26 in San Jose and 18 in Oakland & SHC twice by 25 (H) & 20 (A) points, respectively.

I would have to concur with your opinion that Mitty & Pinewood are executing well. St Marys has the rep and DeCosta back so I would love to see a semi-final of the Rams vs the Monarchs in San Jose. I also predict that Doc Scheppler will devise a game plan to earn revenge against BOD and will likely face Carondolet in the other semi. My money is on Pinewood. The return of Panthers junior PG, Bri Claros, should make a rematch vs AM even tighter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by DLSbear View Post
    Surprised that Carondolet got the two seed...my pick is Mitty Vs Pinewood fighting for the trip to State. Pinewood gave the Monarchs all they could handle on Friday despite Pinewood having one of their best players on the shelf due to injury. I understand she will be ready for Norcal.
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-05-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Remember that St. Mary's of Stockton is fully healthy for the first time all year -- they start five Power 5 players and my feeling is that Mitty and SMS are the two best teams. Whether that will play out, of course, is another question entirely. Upsets are not only possible, but likely. There are no easy outs in that bracket ...
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Carondelet deserved the 2 seed. Their only 2 in-state losses are to Mitty and Clovis.

I get that Bri Carlos makes Pinewood better, but in my opinion, I think she would get a lot of the same looks that Topper got. I don't think she changes the outcome very much last friday. Does that mean that will be the case if they face off again, of course not. And that is a HUGE if. I am with Clay in that MItty and SMS are the 2 best teams as of today.

Basketball Mitty's only weakness is that...

they don't possess a *dominant* point guard. Don't misunderstand me-they have a half dozen solid ball handlers but none that are elite now. The Monarchs were upset in the NorCal playoffs last season by Salesian...Minyon Moore went off for 40 points and Salesian full-court pressed the entire game (like St Marys). The refs "let the players play" and game almost got out of hand. Physical contact was allowed and a couple of fights almost broke out when players were knocked down...Moore connected on several threes and kept driving to the basket. She was the fastest player on the court. The Salesian star made 15 free throws (I think).
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-06-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Agree about St. Marys. i saw them play earlier. Not as good as the Monarchs but the only team that has the talent to go head to head. Otherwise it is a down year in Northern
    cal.

I can be objective:the Open bracket is a "pickem" this year. While I hate SMS is a 4th seed placing them in the same bracket with Mitty instead of the bottom bracket to possibly meet up for the finals, the committee was fair: they lost quite a bit of games this year due to injuries and lets face it they are not the team of past (due to graduation and transfers)so they are trying to find themselves this year and work with what they have (the press defense is not the same "stopper" this year) and for that, I'm proud that they won SJS D1 section because honestly I thought it was going to be a challenge especially when DeCosta was suppose to be out for the season that's when I really thought it was a wrap. If SMS wins first round this will be the first time they have been on the road in YEARS (I can't remember them being on the road even 5yrs back)...that tells you how much this team is different.

I am really surprised that SHC (who did not win CCS Open) was pulled up before Mirramonte (who was pulled up to D2 this year and won NCS section)..that's the only thing that surprised me all the other teams earned the right including Cardinal Newman (they have been slaying it in D4, time to challenge yourself).

In the words of KKross ..." anyone can get it on any day!" Lol... all the teams in Open are capable of an upset, all good teams, so it will not surprise me to hear of "upsets" or that the champion in the end is not who everyone expected. I just want the best team to represent NorCal and bring the trophy back home...I really believe we shouldv'e had the trophy last year.

SoCal- I think CW, LBP are coming out the South but Mission Hills may have something to say about that too...and don't sleep on Etiwanda, I've seen them pull upsets year-after-year! :0)

You wouldn't consider Karisma Ortiz as an elite ball handler?? I think the BCS schools that have or are going to offer her will disagree with you..

Meanwhile for Cal fans, Kiana Smith's team (Troy) got screwed as they have to travel 300 miles north to play Clovis West on Wednesday night. Probably lose and then drive 300 miles back home.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Remember that St. Mary's of Stockton is fully healthy for the first time all year -- they start five Power 5 players and my feeling is that Mitty and SMS are the two best teams. Whether that will play out, of course, is another question entirely. Upsets are not only possible, but likely. There are no easy outs in that bracket ...
    Can't disagree with this ^
    I have not seen SMS play this year but knowing their history deep in the season they should not be counted out...looking forward to the finals in Santa Clara! Ike's sandwich and a pint before the game should get me all set up!

I have to agree that Mitty does not have a true point guard. Both Ortiz and Jones are superb players -- six-foot wings who will start at Power 5 schools -- but at the elite level (Nike TOC vs. Grandview, for example), they are best cast as complementary ballhandlers. That said, Mitty's depth, experience, talent and coaching make them the deserved favorite in the north.

As for Miramonte, remember that Vanden was seeded first in D2 by the committee, so if any team was going to replace SHC or Cardinal Newman, it would have been Vanden.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Obviously I'm biased.. but Clay, who do you consider a true PG (elite) in norcal?

Other Division championship predictions:
    ____________________________________________________________ _____________
    Div I-#1 seed Menlo Atherton (28-2) vs #2 McClatchy (27-4)
    MA was in the CCS Open and lost. I have not seen the Sacto-Joaquin entry play this year.

Div II-#1 Vanden (26-5) vs #2 seed Miramonte (27-3)
    Remember Sac-Joaquin Section only has one entrant into the Open Division. NCS (4) & CCS (3)
    Watchout for Valley Christian-San Jose & Saint Francis-Mtn View from CCS Open.

Div III-#1 St Ignatius (18-9) finished 4th in WCAL vs #2 Campolindo (23-6)

Div IV-#1 West Campus (25-4) vs St Jospeh-ND (26-5)
    Doesn't Cal have a recruit on WC?

Div V-#1 seed Eastside College Prep (18-8) vs #2 Woodside Priory (17-9)
    Eastside Prep lost to SHC by 70-66 in the CCS Open. WP has 6-3 soph post
    Ila Lane & Tatiana Reese. ECP played virtually every top team in SF Bay Area.

These five divisions should be interesting to watch play out... Folsom is #9 seed in DI
    and opens @ #8 Castro Valley. Cal has top recruit here, right? Any other recruits or
    offerees that are participating that I missed? Has Cal offered 2019's Haley Jones & Ila Lane? How about
    the West Campus star...Go CCS! GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-14-2017 at 08:52 AM.

No upsets at all in any of the 5 divisions?! I'm not saying it couldnt happen, but like filling out an NCAA bracket, if you go all chalk there will definitely be an upset or 3 lol