Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT-2017 CIF CA Girls Basketball Championships [OPEN Division]

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Fly View Post
    I can be objective:the Open bracket is a "pickem" this year. While I hate SMS is a 4th seed placing them in the same bracket with Mitty instead of the bottom bracket to possibly meet up for the finals, the committee was fair: they lost quite a bit of games this year due to injuries and lets face it they are not the team of past (due to graduation and transfers)so they are trying to find themselves this year and work with what they have (the press defense is not the same "stopper" this year) and for that, I'm proud that they won SJS D1 section because honestly I thought it was going to be a challenge especially when DeCosta was suppose to be out for the season that's when I really thought it was a wrap. If SMS wins first round this will be the first time they have been on the road in YEARS (I can't remember them being on the road even 5yrs back)...that tells you how much this team is different.

I am really surprised that SHC (who did not win CCS Open) was pulled up before Mirramonte (who was pulled up to D2 this year and won NCS section)..that's the only thing that surprised me all the other teams earned the right including Cardinal Newman (they have been slaying it in D4, time to challenge yourself).

In the words of KKross ..." anyone can get it on any day!" Lol... all the teams in Open are capable of an upset, all good teams, so it will not surprise me to hear of "upsets" or that the champion in the end is not who everyone expected. I just want the best team to represent NorCal and bring the trophy back home...I really believe we shouldv'e had the trophy last year.

SoCal- I think CW, LBP are coming out the South but Mission Hills may have something to say about that too...and don't sleep on Etiwanda, I've seen them pull upsets year-after-year! :0)
    Yep, "Anyone can get it on any given day"! I am a firm believer that every coach, every team, every player has to bring their A game, leave it all out on the floor, if they want to win, but even more so during the playoffs.
    I will say this, when SMS played Mitty at the 2015 Nike TOC, Sue and the Mitty fans were livid when we ran the clock out (no shot clock in AZ) to secure the W. I believe she made a statement referencing there's a shot clock in CA and she would see SMS in the Open. Of course that did not happen last year as neither Mitty or SMS made it to the Nor Cal final.
    With that being said, if the semi final plays out with SMS vs. Mitty in San Jose, I anticipate the crowd will be brutal and Sue will not be holding anything back.
    Good luck to all the teams who made it to the Open! Let's Go Lady Pride!!!

I didn't really predict the winner of the five divisions. I think Eastside Prep in Div 5 has the highest probability of going to state. My problem is that I have not seen most of the teams from outside my area play this season...Good point, however.

Good memory! It will be a great matchup and atmosphere if AM and SMS face off.. but they have to get passed you guys first! I wish your daughter got the chance to play against her old team, more importantly her old coach. I would have loved to see the look on his face if Salesian won with her on the court. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ricehntr5 View Post
    Good memory! It will be a great matchup and atmosphere if AM and SMS face off.. but they have to get passed you guys first! I wish your daughter got the chance to play against her old team, more importantly her old coach. I would have loved to see the look on his face if Salesian won with her on the court. Good luck!
    Salesian lost to SMS in the WCJ Platimum championship game, by like 20, when Sierra was healthy. But this team has grown a lot since then, playing at a different level than they were at that time. Boy, we wish Sierra was not injured! 😩
    Contrary to what people may think, we are still very supportive of SMS, when they're not playing us. Bitter sweet....
    Last edited by kkross22; 03-07-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Well I'm still rooting for you guys!

@schroeder- I have a strong feeling this is not going to be "chalk", don't let the seeding numbers fool ya I have a gut there will be some upsets! I'm rooting for West Campus (D4); that program is 4yrs in the making built it brick-by-brick...team got better every year-Go K.J. (Cal prospect), Mieko, Gabby and the crew! :0). I'm going to their second round game (assuming they make it) to support. I'm pulling for my Lady Dragons/Sac HS (D2) but they have a tall mountain to climb in Norcal, they missed their opportunity to win SJS sections (excellent game against Vanden) but next year will be their year, like West Campus building it brick-by-brick (very young team mostly Sophomores and Frosh, 2 Seniors).

@ricehntr5- Good PG is Sierra Smith/Salesian (by way of SMS-Lol). I can tell you SMS REALLY misses her this year there is a big difference but Arie and Neenah doing a good job...not Sierra tho. :0)
    If they had Sierra along with Razi with this group, even with the injuries they would have less losses and better seed going into Norcal. Would not surprise me if Salesian beats SMS, they were counted out not suppose to win D3 NCS championship game against BOD. I'll be at the game at SMS Friday night-best of luck to both teams, I hate that one has to lose.

@Clay-East Side Prep needs to be moved up next year, challenge themselves.

Fly, you are one of the most gracious people I have met. Always positive.

she is very very good. Most recently saw her play a few times last summer.. She didnt stand head and shoulders above Karisma at the pg position. Not a knock on Sierra in any way, I think they are BOTH very good and elite. (when healthy of course :/)

Sierra Smith is a fine player, but like so many young guards, she is not a good shooter -- and for that reason, I would not classify her as an elite point guard.

And elite point guards are always hard to find, and I don't know of one in Northern California. There are some potentially very good ones at the college level, and some elite wings (the Mitty duo, just to name two), but Power 5 point guards are conspicuous by their absence this season.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Good point Clay, there may not be a truly elite PG in all of norcal this year. But I will argue that she has to be near the top of the list, therefore, inherently making her somewhat "elite" in the sense that colleges will be looking to this area as they always have. So while she may not be as good as some that have come before her, she will get a lot of looks for being one of the better PGs in NorCal.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Sierra Smith is a fine player, but like so many young guards, she is not a good shooter -- and for that reason, I would not classify her as an elite point guard.

And elite point guards are always hard to find, and I don't know of one in Northern California. There are some potentially very good ones at the college level, and some elite wings (the Mitty duo, just to name two), but Power 5 point guards are conspicuous by their absence this season.
    A lot of people have said that Clay, but I wouldn't get being a good shooter confused with not being allowed to shoot. Those are 2 very different things. It is not a secret that while at SMS Sierra was not given the green light to shoot, was not a priority at all when it came to scoring.
    Prior to SMS, Sierra was a scoring point guard. During travel ball, Sierra has been a scoring point guard.
    Though brief, this season at Salesian, even though she didn't put up big numbers scoring wise, she shot over 45% from beyond the arc. It's unfortunate she was sidelined by injury because I am more than sure, once she became more comfortable with the offense and was able to gel more with the team, this would have been her most successful high school season.
    No qualms with you Clay, but in my opinion the reason why many BCS schools are under performing is because they're putting so much focus on scoring when they're recruiting, but forget about the intangibles. Here's a list of attributes/skills I believe an elite point guard should possess, which in my opinion is more important than scoring:
    - coachable
    - good attitude
    - encouraging
    - great communicator
    - hard worker
    - resilient (heart & hustle)
    - fearless
    - floor general (being a leader)
    - having poise
    - can handle pressure
    - unselfish
    - passionate
    - ball hawk (lock down defender)
    - can read and breakdown a defense
    - get everybody involved
    - make teammates better
    - high basketball IQ
    - grit/ does whatever it takes
    The list can go on and on. Sierra possesses all of these attributes. Oh, and she's only 16 years old, has plenty of time to grow and mature.
    A lot of these evaluators, recruiters, college coaches, basketball know it alls (at least they think they do), etc. have it wrong. And I am just not talking about Sierra, but a lot of players have been overlooked. A perfect example, Minyon Moore. And boy, did she prove a lot of people wrong.
    It's hard to believe a point guard who led a team like SMS, maybe not in scoring, but do check the rest of the stats (steals, assists, mins., 2nd/3rd reb.), to 2 very successful seasons her sophomore and junior year, and a state championship at the age of 14 years old, playing against players like Katie Lou and Sabrina and not be considered elite. CRAZY!!!
    Last edited by kkross22; 03-08-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Kkross, you and I obviously dont see eye to eye with Clay. I dont get how neither of the girls mentioned are not elite. Are they going to go to UCONN or ND? well, no. But I dont think that doesnt make them elite, and in the top x% if pg's in the nations. (you can fill in the number and it will probably still hold true)

This is from the Salesian vs. CN at the WCJ, all within the first couple of mins of the 1st quarter. But the kid can't shoot?! Yeah, ok....

https://instagram.com/p/BO1FGAWALfb/

https://twitter.com/superflykicks/st...73273488502786

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    Meanwhile for Cal fans, Kiana Smith's team (Troy) got screwed as they have to travel 300 miles north to play Clovis West on Wednesday night. Probably lose and then drive 300 miles back home.