Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OT-2017 CIF CA Girls Basketball Championships [OPEN Division]

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Craig Campbell, the Clovis West coach, is a great guy, and he knows what he's talking about. That's high praise ...
    But do you actually believe that is true Clay??

An interesting question: The received wisdom has Mitty sophomore Haley Jones as a potential NCAA All-American but Smith is a senior so could be better right now. I guess the same could be true of Aquira DeCosta but that would be a stretch -- the SMS junior is acknowledged as one of the best in the country, regardless of grade level.

And though Clovis West has played several top teams in the country, none really has a superstar, so aside from DeCosta, it's not an unreasonable statement. But at the same time, the top players on St. John's College and Miami Country Day are very, very good.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    so aside from DeCosta, it's not an unreasonable statement. But at the same time, the top players on St. John's College and Miami Country Day are very, very good.
    Thats what I was kind of thinking too... I think DeCosta played pretty well against them, and Jones turned it on in OT, but on those teams you can't key in on just one or even a few players as they can hurt you from all 5. Maybe Troy isn't like that and even with them focusing more on stopping Smith, they still couldn't.

Troy has two primary scorers in Kianna Smith & Naomi Hunt but they are not balanced like the Rams and the Monarchs.
    http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-...EJUfpH3d-A.htm

my point exactly.. thanks for info Schroe.. more power to Kianna as I'm sure she was the focus of the scouting report

I don't care who you are, to make an assumption that some one is the best player they have faced within that type of scenario is illogical. Basketball if the type of game where a players production can vary quite a bit from game to game. Now a person might reasonably say that a specific player produced the best game that any opposing player had against them.. One game does not really provide enough of a sample for a statement like that to be taken literally. To many variables involved for it to be. Hey it would even be a stretch for someone who did that for a living to make that sort of absolute statement. That sort of evaluation is entirely subjective and his statement was probably made purely in the moment. Now it might actually be true but it should be taken in the context as one persons, in the moment, opinion. Any coach who's team easily defeats another team but then gets run out of the gym, by the same team, on a different day under different circumstances probable does know better. At least they should.

Totally agree willtalk.. hence my original question to clay.. I dont believe it for one second, and think it was manifestation of the moment.

On another note (pertaining to your Centenial reference) it will be interesting to see if CW makes it out of the south. They played such a strong schedule in the preseason, but play NOBODY in their league/section. If the centenial rematch was a result of them being complacent, maybe that game and Troy will be wake up calls. The open is no joke and their league doesn't prepare them with adversity. I would love to see an AM/CW rematch though.

It was just a well-meaning compliment.

Let's just take it for what it was; high praise for a future Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    It was just a well-meaning compliment.

Let's just take it for what it was; high praise for a future Bear.
    Jim going to any of the games tonight? I'll be at Mitty!

Now, let's see if we can land Haley Jones in two years and we'll be in business! (-:

I wish I could but I'll be at the NIT game tonight.

And yes, Haley Jones would be a great add if they could pull something like that off.

Quote Originally Posted by DLSbear View Post

Now, let's see if we can land Haley Jones in two years and we'll be in business! (-:
    DLS-provide us with quarter updates PLEASE...I wish this was streaming through NFHS network so I could watch it.

I sure will Fly!

Quote Originally Posted by DLSbear View Post

Has cal offered yet??

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Fly View Post
    DLS-provide us with quarter updates PLEASE...I wish this was streaming through NFHS network so I could watch it.
    I'll provide the "Wednesday Morning Quarterback" analysis tomorrow lol

I don't know but sure hope so! She was at the game last week!