Thread: It appears the weekend before Labor Day is in play. Will more teams take advantage?

It appears the weekend before Labor Day is in play. Will more teams take advantage?

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/13...-opens-aug-26/

I believe there are now 4 games on this weekend. And unlike the Cal v. Hawaii and Stanford v. Rice games in Australia - where the long travel time almost requires the game be played early to avoid academic conflict - other games are now being played early for basically no good reason other than to get more exposure and get an additional bye later in the year.

Seems to me that if this is allowable, all CFB schools should move to do it. Networks surely wouldn't argue. More content before the NFL starts up.

I was going to ask what other games are on schedule, but ESPN quickly answered that. Looks like OSU/CSU will be the fifth game that weekend.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule

Quote Originally Posted by travelingbears View Post
    I was going to ask what other games are on schedule, but ESPN quickly answered that. Looks like OSU/CSU will be the fifth game that weekend.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule
    What is so special about UHawaii @ UMass, USF @ SJSU, and PSU @ BYU (along with OrSt @ ColoSt) that gets them a game a week early?

I mean I like watching CFB. And I would rather watch better games that weekend. Who wouldn't?

It's just strange that it's allowable given all the sentiment about the season getting to long. But at the same time, more rest, w/ same number of games can't be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    What is so special about UHawaii @ UMass, USF @ SJSU, and PSU @ BYU (along with OrSt @ ColoSt) that gets them a game a week early?

I mean I like watching CFB. And I would rather watch better games that weekend. Who wouldn't?
    Get real, by the time August rolls around we will be drooling for first FCS broadcasts on ESPN.

It appears the weekend before Labor Day is in play. Will more teams take advantage?
    I think you mean the weekend before Labor Day weekend is in play. The weekend before Labor Day is, in fact, Labor Day weekend.

Anyhow, the NCAA has done what I thought it would eventually do - open up the football calendar in August and not limit it to the week before Labor Day. It's like an addict - they simply can't help themselves from going back to whatever substance they were abusing beforehand. In this case, money by way of more games.

The sport gets more ugly by the year.

I'm all in favor of backing up the schedule. Advantages, better weather, especially if we're going to be stuck with night games, and it gets us out of the Big Game/Thanksgiving problem. The only disadvantage is it means a longer break between the end of the regular season and bowl games, which could actually be a good thing in terms of injuries. It also may make it easier for players academically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    I'm all in favor of backing up the schedule. Advantages, better weather, especially if we're going to be stuck with night games, and it gets us out of the Big Game/Thanksgiving problem. The only disadvantage is it means a longer break between the end of the regular season and bowl games, which could actually be a good thing in terms of injuries. It also may make it easier for players academically.
    I'm in agreement, with conference championship games now the norm, and needing to leave the final week of the season open for these championship games, it makes sense to start the season a week earlier to maintain the additional bye week.

The early games are probably an advantage for the participating teams. College classes haven't started so the NCAA restrictions on practice hours per week don't apply. Plus, the participating teams get an extra week of practice that they would ordinarily not get without the early game.

The earlier the season starts, the earlier practices begin. Plus there are (or should be) more bye weekends during the season. It sure seems to make sense to hit it and git it early. Not unlike getting even a crappy bowl game, helps you get exposure and more work in.

Quote Originally Posted by FiatSlug View Post
    I think you mean the weekend before Labor Day weekend is in play. The weekend before Labor Day is, in fact, Labor Day weekend.
    Well some semantics here, and I can see i was being unclear, but since Labor Day is part of the weekend, the weekend before would be a different weekend than Labor Day weekend.

To be honest, I'm thinking it makes sense in years where the FB season is 13 weeks long, but not in years where its 14 weeks long (due to the varied number of weeks between Labor Day and thanksgiving).

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    Well some semantics here, and I can see i was being unclear, but since Labor Day is part of the weekend, the weekend before would be a different weekend than Labor Day weekend.

To be honest, I'm thinking it makes sense in years where the FB season is 13 weeks long, but not in years where its 14 weeks long (due to the varied number of weeks between Labor Day and thanksgiving).
    With regard to the bolded text, we are in agreement. That way, there would be a uniform number of weeks in the football season. The rule of thumb would be, then, that the football season would begin on the last Saturday in August.

Quote Originally Posted by FiatSlug View Post
    With regard to the bolded text, we are in agreement. That way, there would be a uniform number of weeks in the football season. The rule of thumb would be, then, that the football season would begin on the last Saturday in August.
    lets get it done NCAA!

Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    Get real, by the time August rolls around we will be drooling for first FCS broadcasts on ESPN.
    It looks to me that we could be the first nationally broadcast game on sept 1. I could see them holding the Alabama v. Florida State for later in the day for a large nationwide audience.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bear6 View Post
    It looks to me that we could be the first nationally broadcast game on sept 1. I could see them holding the Alabama v. Florida State for later in the day for a large nationwide audience.
    That is a prime time lock.

True Blue Golden Bear heartofthebear's Avatar
    Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    Those games the following Thursday and Friday are real must see TV as well.
    I might even drive to Idaho. I don't want to miss that match up with Sac. St.
    And where the heck is Elon anyway?
    Maybe the NCAA is trying to get all the uninteresting games out of the way before the real season begins on September 2.