Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 106

Thread: OT: Christ to be the next Chancellor

  1. #1

    OT: Christ to be the next Chancellor

    http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/03/13/...ents-approval/

    Anyone know what her relationship with Cal Athletics is like?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpong2 View Post
    http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/03/13/...ents-approval/Anyone know what her relationship with Cal Athletics is like?
    Per others not good, as in cutting sports not good
    Last edited by Don'tDance; 03-13-2017 at 02:46 PM.

  3. #3
    The only person on this board who actually has a relationship with her says otherwise. But cutting sports is something we should be doing anyway.

  4. #4
    I don't know what his sources are, but there is a difference between budget slashing and not having a good relationship. She was a former Title IX Compliance Officer according to him, and then she was head of CSHE (Center for Studies of Higher Education) on campus, which has hosted multiple talks and discussions about the evolving role of the university in a neoliberal age. She won't be misinformed or not have been exposed to a variety of viewpoints on the matter, if that is any consolation.

    Admin edit: http://bearinsider.com/forums/showth...es-reminder***
    Last edited by BearEatsTacos; 03-13-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Didn't get my coffee today, grammatical errors abound

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tDance View Post
    Per others not good, as in cutting sports not good
    Speculation.

  6. #6
    She was born in 1944 which makes her 72 (or 73) years old. That could make her perceived as a short-timer which could limit her ability to manage and effect change.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    The only person on this board who actually has a relationship with her says otherwise. But cutting sports is something we should be doing anyway.
    I'm not sure how cutting male sports doesn't happen w/o donors stepping-up for non-revenue sports. The model that has football paying for so many team deficits just is not sustainable. I'm willing to be proved wrong.

    That said, someone has to make up for the enrollment revenue that goes missing from cut teams, and there will be donor fall out depending on which teams are cut. Also, look for minority push back depending on the team's cut (e.g., track and field). I think Christ has the support of faculty and administration given her tenure at Cal, and it's an advantage to have someone who knows Cal so well at its helm. That does not mean she has the support of alums and donors, which she will have to develop (i.e., earn), and cutting teams will not be a good start; accordingly, my guess is she will back burner doing anything with sports short term. She clearly has tough decisions to make.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 03-13-2017 at 03:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Bear View Post
    She was born in 1944 which makes her 72 (or 73) years old. That could make her perceived as a short-timer which could limit her ability to manage and effect change.
    She probably had to promise 5 years. Given her recent tenure, she seems determined to leave Cal on better financial footing (she is a cost cutter). That is not necessarily a bad thing when you only have to bear the brunt of your cost cutting a few years. Cal's (and UC's) problems are immediate and require immediate attention. I'm not sure with the positions that the State is staking out, anyone other than at the UC President level has the ability to effect long term change.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 03-13-2017 at 03:22 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    I'm not sure how cutting male sports doesn't happen w/o donors stepping-up for non-revenue sports. The model that has football paying for so many team deficits just is not sustainable. I'm willing to be proved wrong.

    That said, someone has to make up for the enrollment revenue that goes missing from cut teams, and there will be donor fall out depending on which teams are cut. Also, look for minority push back depending on the team's cut (e.g., track and field). I think Christ has the support of faculty and administration given her tenure at Cal, and it's advantage to have someone who knows Cal so well at its helm. That does not mean she has the support of alums and donors, which she will have to develop (i.e., earn), and cutting teams will not be a good start; accordingly, my guess is she will back burner doing anything with sports short term. She clearly has tough decisions to make.
    I'm guessing that her first two major initiatives will be leasing out existing Cal land for major housing redevelopment, and we'll see the creation of more lucrative graduate programs.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    I'm guessing that her first two major initiatives will be leasing out existing Cal land for major housing redevelopment, and we'll see the creation of more lucrative graduate programs.
    She may want to look at UCLA that has done both. The other thing that would just kick some butt is to expand Haas undergrad and raise tuition for same, and start a medical school.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 03-13-2017 at 03:33 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    She may want to look at UCLA that have done both. The other thing that would just kick some butt is to expand Haas undergrad and raise tuition for same, and start a medical school.
    From what I've heard, the new Haas-Eng undergrad program is insanely popular. We know that it works, it's modeled after the program at Wharton, might as well fully commit and open that up over the next couple years.

  12. #12
    What's the story with UCSF/ weren't they once affiliated more closely with us? It'd be great for us to have a medical school, but I'm 98% sure it'll just never happen.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    She may want to look at UCLA that has done both. The other thing that would just kick some butt is to expand Haas undergrad and raise tuition for same, and start a medical school.
    As far as I know, tuition for students are the same for all undergrad programs, so she wouldn't be able to raise tuition just for Haas undergrads. It'd have to be an increase in the MBA tuitions (which are currently subsidizing the undergrad Haas program).

  14. #14
    what is the story with Hasting and Boalt (or whatever it's called), other than they are the same distance from each other and have some joint programs. Medical schools increase endowment a couple billion and pay for related departments like neuro-sciences. Unless, USCF want to contribute, get out of the way.

  15. #15
    Hopefully she has the sense to see that there's a simple solution and the political clout to make it happen: Football and MBB subsidize the minimum NCAA and/or P12 mandatory sports. In the event of multiple possible options sports are prioritized from cheapest to most expensive. Any other female sport can remain by fully endowing itself. Any other male sport can remain by fully endowing itself AND a female sport with an equal or larger roster size. It's time to move on from this ridiculousness.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •