Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: LSU Tigers appear to be a good matchup for Cal Bears...(link)

  1. #1

    Basketball LSU Tigers appear to be a good matchup for Cal Bears...(link)

    http://www.lsusports.net/fls/5200/as...ts/17stats.pdf

    LSU is a young team with five freshmen, three sophs, two juniors and three seniors. The Tigers are a guard-oriented team and only play one starter with height (6-2 forward). If one examines their stat sheet, nothing as a team jumps out except that they average 12 steals per game. They also only turnover the ball 14.4 times per game. Their top scorers are two guards, Moncrief (JR) & Jackson (SO), who are 5-10 & 5-9,
    respectively, averaging 16 & 13.2 ppg. Two other Tigers, 5-11 senior Hyder & 6-2 frosh Mitchell, both tally 8 plus ppg. Hyder has a husky build and could be a SF. These four all average in the 5.2-5.9 rebounds per game. Amazingly, nobody on this guard-dominated team likes to shoot the three pointer. Jackson has 19 treys and nobody else has more than four on the season. Their 5-7 senior PG Hill, half Japanese, orchestrates their offense with pin point passing.

    Either this team will be too quick for Cal and beat the Bears up and down the court for easy scores or the #9 seed has a opportunity to dominate inside with Kristina Anigwe. Cal should dominate the boards but they need to rotate a guard back on defense to stop easy fast break baskets. I'm certain that their guards are very athletic and fast. I wonder if the Bears should zone this team or play man-to-man defense. I would imagine HC Gottlieb would experiment w/ both styles early in the game.

    LSU shoots about 66% from the free throw line which is comparable to Cal. I'm a bit concerned that Moncrief & Jackson can beat our guards off of the dribble and drive in for layups or pullup jumpers in the key.
    Bottomline: this game will pit two teams with contrasting styles. Cal is strong up front but weak ball-handling in the backcourt. The Tigers are the opposite and average only 33 rpg. Will Gottlieb be able to devise a gameplan that can exploit these contrasts? Btw, what happened to the attractive headcoach from UCLA that became headcoach of Louisiana State University? When did she depart? GO BEARS!

    http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect...67&SPSID=27833
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-13-2017 at 07:35 PM.

  2. #2
    UCONN is waiting for the other 63 other tourney teams to decide who they'll serve up on a platter for UCONN to destroy.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    http://www.lsusports.net/fls/5200/as...ts/17stats.pdf

    LSU is a young team with five freshmen, three sophs, two juniors and three seniors. The Tigers are a guard-oriented team and only play one starter with height (6-2 forward). If one examines their stat sheet, nothing as a team jumps out except that they average 12 steals per game. They also only turnover the ball 14.4 times per game. Their top scorers are two guards, Moncrief (JR) & Jackson (SO), who are 5-10 & 5-9,
    respectively, averaging 16 & 13.2 ppg. Two other Tigers, 5-11 senior Hyder & 6-2 frosh Mitchell, both tally 8 plus ppg. Hyder has a husky build and could be a SF. These four all average in the 5.2-5.9 rebounds per game. Amazingly, nobody on this guard-dominated team likes to shoot the three pointer. Jackson has 19 treys and nobody else has more than four on the season. Their 5-7 senior PG Hill, half Japanese, orchestrates their offense with pin point passing.

    Either this team will be too quick for Cal and beat the Bears up and down the court for easy scores or the #9 seed hasan opportunity to dominate inside with Kristina Anigwe. Cal should dominate the boards but they need to rotate a guard back on defense to stop easy fast break baskets. I'm certain that their guards are very athletic and fast. I wonder if the Bears should zone this team or play man-to-man defense. I would imagine HC Gottlieb would try both styles early in the game.

    LSU shoots about 66% from the free throw line which is comparable to Cal. I'm a bit concerned that Moncrief & Jackson can beat our guards off of the dribble and drive in for layups or pullup jumpers in the key.
    Bottomline: this game will pit two teams with contrasting styles. Cal is strong up front but weak ball-handling in the backcourt. The Tigers are the opposite and average only 33 rpg. Will Gottlieb be able to devise a gameplan that can exploit these contrasts? Btw, what happened to the attractive headcoach from UCLA that was the headcoach of Louisiana State University? When did she depart? GO BEARS!

    http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect...67&SPSID=27833
    Maybe she changed her name. Looks like the same person.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    Maybe she changed her name. Looks like the same person.
    Yes. Fargas is Nikki Caldwell's married name.

  5. #5
    After this up and down season, winning a NCAA Tournament game would be very sweet, even if the next game is against Baylor which is impossible to beat in Waco.

    Go Bears, Beat LSU!

  6. #6
    I remember Nikki's UCLA teams playing frenetic pressure defense but not scoring a lot. I think we'll need to keep our turnovers under control and avoid giving up fast break buckets. Also LSU is getting over 20 free throws per game, I hope we can defend without fouling too much.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    They also only turnover the ball 14.4 times per game.
    Yea but if you look at the line next to that (what their opponents average), they create an average of 20.5 TOs.. That +6 in the TO ratio more than makes up for what you think is a lack of rebounding (which the stats show they are on average at .5 rebounding deficit). That, combined with the bears averaging 16+ TOs a game.. the guards better be ready..

    The stat that jumped out at me was the 3pt attempts.. 149 attps on the entire season compared to Cals 502. LSU likes to get to the rack. Bears better be ready to defend.. I can almost guarantee that while they seem undersized, they play bigger.. all coaches on staff out of the Pat Summit coaching tree.. I've never seen LSU play but I think I have to go with them on this one. If cal can take care of the ball, defend the rim and make them shoot jumpers, or make a good number of 3s then they increase their chances substantially.

  8. #8
    Thankyou, pearbear.

  9. #9
    Good points, every one! Yes I remember the fullcourt pressing defense that UCLA employed effectively...I also checked out some box scores and soph guard Jackson (5-9) grabbed 14 rebounds in a recent game. Offensive rebounds have been a weakness for the Bears this season. If the Cal guards cannot consistently get the ball up the court, the height advantage with KA might be negated. I'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!

  10. #10
    Don't let Jackson fool you! She's a redshirt soph (so actually a junior), who was a star at Riverdale Baptist (a high school powerhouse). I don't know what happened at NC St but she seems to have found her fit.

  11. #11
    Interesting enough the two teams that created the most turnovers in our league were USC and UCLA. and we were 3 and 0 against them.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear80 View Post
    After this up and down season, winning a NCAA Tournament game would be very sweet, even if the next game is against Baylor which is impossible to beat in Waco.

    Go Bears, Beat LSU!
    +1

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    Interesting enough the two teams that created the most turnovers in our league were USC and UCLA. and we were 3 and 0 against them.
    It is interesting. We beat UCLA in a game where we committed 19 TO's and they committed 7. They also made 23 of 24 FT's and we made 8 of 12. They shot 34% overall, 17% 3's, so I guess we beat them with defense. Range had a good game (15 points, 12 rebounds) - we need her to get healthy.

  14. #14
    Last good game she had.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    It is interesting. We beat UCLA in a game where we committed 19 TO's and they committed 7. They also made 23 of 24 FT's and we made 8 of 12. They shot 34% overall, 17% 3's, so I guess we beat them with defense. Range had a good game (15 points, 12 rebounds) - we need her to get healthy.
    It can be done. LSU has had more than a few games with offensive stats like that. Seems like they have trouble shooting. If cal can keep them out of the paint, both on drives and o-boards, and make them make jumpers, they stand a great shot at moving on. I may actually watch this game...




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •