Thread: Why does UC Berkeley development office keep spamming me?

Why does UC Berkeley development office keep spamming me?

I just got another call from Cal. This is probably the 6th or 7th time this year. It's a 510-643 number so I know it's Cal and since I never pick up the phone from numbers not in my phone book it always goes to voicemail. The caller always does the same thing: lets my voicemail run for 20-30 seconds without saying a word and then hangs up. If you're going to call why don't you leave a voicemail? And why even let it run for 30 seconds other than being a complete as$? Does this happen to anyone else? I make one donation to Cal every year after my taxes are done so I don't even know why they bother me with all these calls at random months throughout the year.

The new 72 year old Chancellor is trying to figure out "this new-fangled voice telephone beeping."

Probably the Cal Calling Center. Students calling to solicit donations, based off of any number of existing campaigns which they are running (your major, your department, previous contribution upsell, etc.).

Sometimes the callers aren't paying attention TBH. Probably explains the blank VM's.

Call the alumni association membership office. Ask them to designate you as "do not call" in the data base. CAA and development office share the same database.

The development thing is sort a pet peeve of mine, too. I donate to about 6-8 different groups. Each of them send a couple of 'letters' a month to touch base. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Birthday, invitations to tailgates, BBQ's, viewing parties, coffees, town halls...can't even remember most of them. Every one of them also asks for a donation. The postage to send them, the pre-paid return envelopes is such a waste of money and resources. I am going to give what I give. Don't send me thank-you notes for my donations and then ask for more money! I had to be very stern to get the phone calls to stop, but they did.

The calling center deals with a high volume of contacts. It's probably pretty easy to find yourself onto one of these lists. Just answer and let them know. They'll take you off and you shouldnt get the calls anymore.

Not answering is actually how you keep getting the calls. The names are recycled if you dont answer. If you say no, then they drop you out of the list.
    Last edited by gobears725; 03-14-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    The calling center deals with a high volume of contacts. It's probably pretty easy to find yourself onto one of these lists. Just answer and let them know. They'll take you off and you shouldnt get the calls anymore.

Not answering is actually how you keep getting the calls. The names are recycled if you dont answer. If you say no, then they drop you out of the list.
    Thanks - I'll try answering next time.

Hi Hanky.

My name is Berk Calverson.

I am the special liaison to the assistant general manager to the senior staff organizer of the sub-regional fundraising quadrant of the UC Berkeley development office.

I can help you eliminate this annoying problem.

Give me a call.

I can be reached at 510-601-0300.

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    I can be reached at 510-601-0300.