Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: OT: Cal's Online Courses No Longer Available to Public

  1. #16
    Isn't that the one where we spent MILLIONS AND MILLIONS to build our own system when many other high quality universities are publishing in conjunction with private platforms that are still freely accessible?

    facepalm

    Also - this closing down public goods because they aren't ADA compliant...aargh.

    Legalized blackmail systems darkening the world.

    Fiat Lux

    Fiat Lux
    Last edited by rkt88edmo; 03-15-2017 at 09:21 PM.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
    Isn't that the one where we spent MILLIONS AND MILLIONS to build our own system when many other high quality universities are publishing in conjunction with private platforms that are still freely accessible?

    facepalm

    Also - this closing down public goods because they aren't ADA compliant...aargh.

    Legalized blackmail systems darkening the world.

    Fiat Lux

    Fiat Lux
    I consider myself quite progressive, but yes, out doesn't make sense to say "if it isn't accessible to everyone, it can't be allowed to be accessible to anyone"

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by YamhillBear View Post
    I consider myself quite progressive, but yes, out doesn't make sense to say "if it isn't accessible to everyone, it can't be allowed to be accessible to anyone"
    So we all agree then that the ADA should just be guidelines and not summarily enforced? If I sound like a smart alec, I apologize. I too would love a carve out in this 1 instance. Of course if there are other instances where there is a tipping point of reasonably upset of people due to the burdens of the ADA, they too should be allowed to bypass it right?

  4. #19
    Have they made every book, periodical, and every other printed item in the UC collection available on audio? If not, why not? It seems to me that if these videos are out of ADA compliance then our library collections are as well.

  5. #20
    How in the world has Starkey not been reprimanded yet for being out of compliance?

  6. #21
    The courses have been archived

    http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php...ourse_Captures

    "We copied all 20,000 and are making them permanently available for free via LBRY. The full catalog is over 4 TB and will be synced over the next several days."

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by YamhillBear View Post
    I consider myself quite progressive, but yes, out doesn't make sense to say "if it isn't accessible to everyone, it can't be allowed to be accessible to anyone"
    You're right, having an effective and enforceable law will put a hurt on many resources. A scheme that can judge true intent and worthiness is very hard to write and apply legally because it involves a great deal of judgement and people with different perspectives will always disagree on where the line should be.

    I don't know what the answer is. I still feel like the needle has moved the wrong way on this one.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    So we all agree then that the ADA should just be guidelines and not summarily enforced? If I sound like a smart alec, I apologize. I too would love a carve out in this 1 instance. Of course if there are other instances where there is a tipping point of reasonably upset of people due to the burdens of the ADA, they too should be allowed to bypass it right?
    Burritos, I would argue that most of the flawed and inefficient regulations and laws were initiated with good intentions. Title IX's application to college sports is a great example. No one is going to be against equal opportunity. I think the problem arises from people thinking that all these good intentions can be put into action through forced legislation. How about private ordering? If the laws are intended to reflect the morality of the society, why can't people act through private choices?

  9. #24

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsusSanJoseus View Post
    Have they made every book, periodical, and every other printed item in the UC collection available on audio? If not, why not? It seems to me that if these videos are out of ADA compliance then our library collections are as well.
    Presumably the library staff is supposed to give you special assistance in that scenario.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •