Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How sketchy is LaVar Ball?

How sketchy is LaVar Ball?

Interesting new article in the USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...raft/99126082/

We can leave aside the absurd proclamations about his son Lonzo being better than Curry. And how he himself could take Michael Jordan one-on-one. Or saying his son will only play for the Lakers. And even the absurd notion that his kids are worth $1 billion for shoes. That's just blowhard stuff.

What I'd like to know is how a "personal trainer" (with a middle school PE teacher wife) can afford in LA:

-a $100,000 BMW for Lonzo
    -a $100,000 BMW for Jello
    -a on-site paid handler for Lonzo in Westwood who attends all practices, home games and road games.
    -a 5 bedroom house with a pool

I wonder if the "entourage" that hangs around this family has anything to do with this. I'm willing to bet this guy is gonna land UCLA in some deep trouble. This seems to be a very, very sketchy situation. Even Bruin fans I know are openly advocating cutting ties with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    Interesting new article in the USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...raft/99126082/

We can leave aside the absurd proclamations about his son Lonzo being better than Curry. And how he himself could take Michael Jordan one-on-one. Or saying his son will only play for the Lakers. And even the absurd notion that his kids are worth $1 billion for shoes. That's just blowhard stuff.

What I'd like to know is how a "personal trainer" (with a middle school PE teacher wife) can afford in LA:

-a $100,000 BMW for Lonzo
    -a $100,000 BMW for Jello
    -a on-site paid handler for Lonzo in Westwood who attends all practices, home games and road games.
    -a 5 bedroom house with a pool

I wonder if the "entourage" that hangs around this family has anything to do with this. I'm willing to bet this guy is gonna land UCLA in some deep trouble. This seems to be a very, very sketchy situation. Even Bruin fans I know are openly advocating cutting ties with the family.

LOL.
    Of course he is getting paid.
    It is a joke.

I wanna know who taught Lonzo that broke looking shot?

And also, what kind of revenue does that 'shoe' company bring in? Is all the payola money funneled through it? Just make sure to pay your taxes, LaVar....
    Last edited by ColoradoBear1; 03-14-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Sam Gilbert lives?

Doesn't the Dad care that he's causing everyone in the world to now root against his sons?

Won't happen but I'd love to see UCLA penalized. Someone just needs to follow the money. We weren't able to capitalize in football when SC got hit by the NCAA, but I think we would be able to in basketball if UCLA gets hit.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbears View Post
    Sam Gilbert lives?
    Exactly. UCLA will never get busted.

Ball's younger brother scored 82 points in a game...I couldn't figure out how a HS game creates enough possessions to let anyone score that much. Ball's team was fouling the other team to create possessions for Ball. That's just so wrong. Just like the $ to the Ball family is off and how the dad wants 1B for all 3 sons. This is everything that is wrong with youth / HS / college sports all rolled up into a single package.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post
    Won't happen but I'd love to see UCLA penalized. Someone just needs to follow the money. We weren't able to capitalize in football when SC got hit by the NCAA, but I think we would be able to in basketball if UCLA gets hit.
    Pom Pom was a much better coach than Alford is. Don't recall ever seeing Bush's parents on TV, but Papa Ball is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by 75bear View Post
    Doesn't the Dad care that he's causing everyone in the world to now root against his sons?
    He should be worried that his looniness might hurt Lonzo's draft stock. I guarantee GM's are going to ask Lonzo about his dad and see what his response is.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post
    While I have no idea what's really going on there, I could picture the money not coming from UCLA (or even its supporters). Ball could be getting the money from AAU/agent sources, based on his future earnings, and just be using UCLA as a one-year, high profile stop on his way to the NBA.

Question: If it turned out he was getting paid, but not from UCLA sources (and maybe even not during the 9 mos. he was enrolled), is UCLA still in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    While I have no idea what's really going on there, I could picture the money not coming from UCLA (or even its supporters). Ball could be getting the money from AAU/agent sources, based on his future earnings, and just be using UCLA as a one-year, high profile stop on his way to the NBA.

Question: If it turned out he was getting paid, but not from UCLA sources (and maybe even not during the 9 mos. he was enrolled), is UCLA still in trouble?
    Didn't U$C claim they didn't know Reggie Bush was getting paid/benefits??

The short answer ... yes

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post

If they knew about it and didn't do anything, yes. Isn't that how they got SC when Bush got agent benefits?

The Dad seems to be pretty smart in hiding the sources of his money well. I wouldnt expect anything to come of it. Not sure people want to go after the dad anyway, he seems nuts and is probably more trouble than it is worth.

I don't know any details. His sons seem to be well grounded; I don't root against them. He is a promoter. Lonzo is the best KNOWN college player in the nation. His sons are the best KNOWN HS players in the nation. I imagine he has set up some large shoe contract riding on the back of Lonzo with his branding.

I do worry about the boys; its a lot of pressure. I don't for a second think Lonzo is better than Steph; that's again just promotion. His boys are not the best college or HS players either but it doesn't matter.

I don't feel sorry for UCLA. They are entering into this willingly. If there is a huge risk of NCAA violations, do we think they would honor scholarships to Angelo and then Melo?

In many ways to focus on him, the crazy things he says, are all part of his plan. He is winning.