Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential coaches...

Potential coaches...

Who do people think would be on a list of potential Bear coaches?

Todd Bozeman. Proven winner in Pac10, great recruiter, learned from his mistakes.

At this point, to me it's a total crapshoot. I guess on balance, I'd prefer someone younger, like Russell Turner, as opposed to Ben Howland or one of the other retreads. I'm not sure it makes much difference, since I think if that coach wins here, even a little, they're probably gone to greener pastures, if that's what happens with Martin. We probably should have just hired Decuire for program continuity, since the message being sent is that we can't hold on to a coach that has even modest success, and therefore you need to try and establish some sort of line of succession.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    At this point, to me it's a total crapshoot. I guess on balance, I'd prefer someone younger, like Russell Turner, as opposed to Ben Howland or one of the other retreads. I'm not sure it makes much difference, since I think if that coach wins here, even a little, they're probably gone to greener pastures, if that's what happens with Martin. We probably should have just hired Decuire for program continuity, since the message being sent is that we can't hold on to a coach that has even modest success, and therefore you need to try and establish some sort of line of succession.
    Turner is actually 46....older than Cuonzo.

Right, but he hasn't been in a Power 5 job, or at a prominent mid-major. I don't think any Power 5 coaches are going to be an option this time, unless it's someone that has not won elsewhere who we think for some reason can win at Cal. He's basically the same age as Cuonzo, who turns 46 in September.

I'd take a good look at Dennis Gates who is highly regarded in the ACC and at FSU. Stellar recruiter.
    Last edited by TheSouseFamily; 03-15-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Maybe a coach from the Bo Ryan tree. Barry Alvarez seem to make all the right coaching hires.
    Last edited by GoCalBears; 03-15-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    I'd take a good look at Dennis Gates who is highly regarded in the ACC and at FSU. Stellar recruiter.
    Definitely worth a look. That would be sort of akin to the Wilcox hire in football, which is basically where I think we're at based on the resources/desire available. I'm assuming he could develop recruiting contacts here, based on having played at Cal.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Tommy Amaker

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    I like that. At least we wouldn't have to worry about him looking elsewhere. I'd take Gates over Haase any day of the week.

Theo was who I wanted to replace Cuonzo. But I also thought Cuonzo wouldn't be gone for another 5-10 years or so. Theo isn't anywhere near ready yet. But I really like that Theo has had a chance to learn from Kerr and Walton.

That CSU Bakersfield coach is looking pretty good. Kicked Martin's behind twice at Haas.

I hope the Bozeman suggestion was a joke, because it should be.

What about.... Mitch Henderson. Was a longtime assistant at Northwestern, has been at Princenton since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Tommy Amaker
    Probably have to kick the tires on him. The serious downside is his capacity to recruit kids whose first choice is the NBA. In the end, to compete in the Pac-12 at the upper 1/3 you HAVE to have kids that can smell the draft. You CAN"T build a consistently winning program without them. The question for Amarker is does he know how to recruit and then coach those kinds of kids. He will have to answer that one - especially to the families of recruits.

Gates brother is an assistant at Northwestern now.

Sounds good to bring both Gates bros in.